[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why this series is considered so bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: GRRSFI[1].jpg (310 KB, 357x576) Image search: [Google]
GRRSFI[1].jpg
310 KB, 357x576
Can someone explain to me why this series is considered so bad?
>>
>>7402942

It's not inherently bad, bad. Just that the series is incredibly popular now due to the TV show so therefore that immediately means it must be shit, they are fun books but nothing special but I enjoy Martin's sci-fi more than his fantasy stuff.
>>
The more she drank, the more she shat
>>
>>7402942

It's overlong and the prose at times can feel like a parody of bad fantasy writing. Nevertheless, it's still an admirable enough achievement in the realm of the genre, and whether or not that makes it worth checking out is up to you.
>>
File: images (1).png (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images (1).png
5 KB, 225x225
genre trash

people are loud about their liking it so it gets memetically turned from 'average trash' to 'firey heap of shit'.

nothing special/
>>
It's bloated and poorly written. Plebs will say people hate it because it's popular -- Nay, it's shite.
>>
>Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water. When she closed her eyes at last, Dany did not know whether she would be strong enough to open them again. She dreamt of her dead brother.
>>
>>7402947
>>7402961

Being popular nowadays is a huge red-flag.
If a book/series/music is considered vulgar I look at it with other eyes. Not because I'm "a special snowflake", rather I'm far from being a "patrician" (closer to a pleb, btw) but I'm more well-read than the majority of my peers and they are ignorant apes. So what they find "masterpieces", "flawless works", "genius books/series" are probably mediocre.

Anyhow, I never read GoT books, but I watched the show and thought it was acceptable.
>>
>>7402993
>being this cringe
>>
>>7402942
I like the plot, the prose not so much.
I also like the show better, I feel the cut up the crap of the books.
>>
Taking advantage of OPs thread. Can someone recommend me any fantasy with political and dark plot like ASOIF?
>>
>>7403001

It's historical fiction, not a fantasy (unless you want to pretend France is as fantastical a place as Westeros), but The Accursed Kings is similar enough that you'll probably enjoy it. Pretty much every copy you find has a quote of Gurrm calling it, "the original Game of Thrones".
>>
>>7403001
>2010+5
>Reading fantasy unironically
>>
>>7403022
The only problem with fantasy is the fanbase.
>>
>>7402957
Genuinely, this. It's no worse than a lot of other mediocre genre garbage. That said, it gets praised by ignorant people enough that it deserves to be insulted.
>>
>>7402947
Every first comment in these threads is some pleb claiming "people say it's bad because it's popular!"

Please return to whatever anime board you came from
>>
>>7402997
Agreed. I think Martin has a lot of interesting ideas, he's just not an incredibly talented writer. The show works a lot better than the books.
>>
File: 1447763122213.jpg (155 KB, 1181x853) Image search: [Google]
1447763122213.jpg
155 KB, 1181x853
Why do average book fans hate them?

Because they change so much, their favorite characters get changed and new characters are introduced. The most loved books are the first 3, which all focus around the same characters and the same theme.

In a feast for crows and a dance of dragons all the old characters either die or have major character progression.

Tyrion goes from le witty imp to a brooding asshole

Cersei goes batshit insane

Jaime goes from a wisecracking asshole to an actually enjoyable character with moral dilemmas

Jon Snow grows up

Daenary's goes from a mary sue to a real character with dilemmas that don't get solved automatically.

Then Martin introduced the Greyjoys Victarian, Euron and Aeron (Aeron appeared before but we got more of him) which IMO are the most interesting characters but alas the fanbase hates them.

Why does /lit/ hate them so much?

The same reason why 4chan hates everything, the normies overhype it. Same with all the boards.

The books themselves are decent as fantasy and decent as "non fantasy" if you catch my drift.
>>
I don't consider him a timeless master of fantasy like Tolkien or anything, but hell, I really enjoyed the first three books and they're excellent in my opinion. I've read the series in translation to my native language so I didn't felt any bad prose parts and it was very flowing and I was able to concentrate on the actual plot, world etc.
Yeah, some characters are generic and others some aren't as interesting as others, the sex scenes are ridiculous sometimes, but overall it didn't bother me enough and I was drawn into the world, and the story was very exciting before it was lost in AFFC and ADWD, and I could not stop reading.

And god, those new edition covers are crap. Pic's version is superior.
>>
>>7402942
Wait until you get to the fourth book
>>
>>7402942
Just like most popular things, it has it's flaws exaggerated and spouted as memes.
As people shit on it constantly those flaws are brought to the front of the minds of some people who previously liked the series. Those people stop defending it, because they now think these things ruin it or because they don't want to get memed at, leaving more negativity.
>>
>>7402947
No it is inherently bad.
>>
>>7403978
>978▶
>File: https___c2.staticflickr.c(...).jpg (169 KB, 375x5
i like the new covers, and i agree, the first 3 books are great. well at least book 3 is great. beyond that there's no hope. at least theon has an interesting pov.
>>
its more historical fiction than fantasy.
>>
>>7402991
Is this real
>>
>>7404848
yes
>>
File: 1370572959608.png (47 KB, 957x266) Image search: [Google]
1370572959608.png
47 KB, 957x266
>>7404848
and so is pic related
>>
>>7406233
How do you feel knowing that this guy is a million selling author, loved world wide, showered in awards, and considered many people's favorite author of all time?
How does it feel knowing you will never, ever achieve his recognition and move as many people the way he does?
How does it feel knowing you will never die from being too fat before you complete your life defining series?
>>
>>7402942
It's a bit boring desu

The TV show is a lot better and streamlined many concepts. That's prehaps the most powerful criticism you can thow towards a book, accepting that the tv adaptation is better...
>>
>>7404482
Came here to say this.

It's just bad, it's YA masquerading as high art
>>
>>7406243

Popularity is, by definition, plebeian and vulgar.

I couldn't give a fuck.
>>
>>7406233
Its like Micheal Bay wrote a novel.
>>
Its a good book despise being badly written.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.