[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
kafka the trial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (189 KB, 303x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
189 KB, 303x500
Just finished reading this and I need to talk about it.

What a ride!
This is best book I've ever read. Don't know why I didn't read it years ago since I've pretty much read almost all his major works. Maybe I was afraid to be let down... I feel so stupid now.

Anyway, many parts of this book blew me away, but first lets discuss why do you think K. was arrested?
>>
>>7402629
>why do you think K. was arrested?

It says right at the beginning that it's because someone must have been telling lies about him.
>>
>why

Do you think the reason why he was arrested is important?
>>
is this new pasta or have i just never seen it? i wanna do one
>>
>>7402633
no. the book is subjective.
as most of his works.
but, he was so superficial about the whole thing, and still ended like a horny dog.
>>
>>7402630
this is just what K. thinks
>>
>>7402629
With regards to tattooing literary quotes on your body, I always thought it would be funny to write "Wie ein Hund!" right above your Arschloch.
>>
I've read a few analyses of The Trial, dealing with allegory, symbolism, etc.. All of them were essentially shit, always grasping at straws (especially the 'prophesying of fascism' meme made me nauseaus').

Personally, I found the book heavily rooted in dream imagery. There's a lot of stuff to go on (e.g. overall vagueness, oddities and inconsistencies in space, weird behaviour of characters), but I'll pick one to illustrate: characters in the book are not described save for one (often bizzare) defining characteristic for each (I remember the girl with crooked back), that is often mentioned.

Anyway, I believe the work is based in unconscious and imaginative material, and has little conscious meaning.

Also:
>This is best book I've ever read.
Come on, bro...
>>
File: 1448816427939.jpg (70 KB, 579x676) Image search: [Google]
1448816427939.jpg
70 KB, 579x676
Could some tell me who the best translator of Kafka is? I have his short stories translated by Donna Freed (Barnes and Noble) and it is decent but my copy of the Trial (Soho books) feels really lacking to me. I still enjoyed the book but felt like the language was very awkward at times.
>>
>>7402629
Oh God, my post made it into pasta.

I don't know how I should feel right now.
>>
>>7403422
The Schocken Kafkas are pretty solid (The Trial is translated by Willa and Edwin Muir), but granted I've only read them and the Barnes and Noble translation so my pool of comparison is limited.
>>
>>7403450
I hope you don't get offended or something.
I just found your introduction funny.
>>
>>7402629
>but first lets discuss why do you think K. was arrested?
10/10
>>
>>7403405
Just a pasta, mate.
>>
>>7403613

Yeah, I got it from the other comments. Come to think of it, I do think I remember seeing it somewhere before
>>
>>7403654
what? the "i just fimished etc."?
it was in a dostoevsky post.
>>
>>7402629
>What a ride!
How banal.
>>
>>7403680

Yeah, I think I've seen something very much like it on the board quite some time ago. Might be just my memory playing tricks, though.
>>
>>7403717

Oh fuck you.
>>
>>7403717
>implying that is original
>kek
>>
>>7402629
You're totally right, it's the best/most complete work of Kafka's IMO. Concise and sensible in a way which the sprawling and unfinished Castle couldn't be, surreal without making you feel ill, and utterly desperate and stifling. 10/10.
>>
>>7403283
Thanks anon, you made my night.
>>
File: TheTrialDVDCover.jpg (22 KB, 265x374) Image search: [Google]
TheTrialDVDCover.jpg
22 KB, 265x374
For once in /lit/ history, I highly suggest watching the movie. Its really spectacular, Orson Welles most overlooked movie and Id say his best.
>>
I thought The Trial was really, really funny. After learning how Kafka laughed so hard at his own stories he upset the neighbors it really cast a new light on all of his other tales too.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.