[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, this is what happens when an autistic Redditer writes a novel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: tmp_10929-images(4)-371786398.jpg (3 KB, 92x150) Image search: [Google]
tmp_10929-images(4)-371786398.jpg
3 KB, 92x150
So, this is what happens when an autistic Redditer writes a novel?
>>
>>7401500
>So, this is what happens when an autistic Redditer writes a novel?
And autistic /lit/zens save thumbnails of the cover
>>
I got this book excited to read what everyone was raving about. I should have noticed something was amiss when reddit was praising it.

You described it perfectly. The humor is so fucking cringeworthy and bad.

>pirate-ninjas
>ascii boobies
>lol mark watney is such a funny le random redditor look at what he's saying to NASA XD

Really hard book to finish.
>>
>>7401521
>not having a 20gb folder full of thumbnails of pleb-tier books in case you need to shitpost about them on /lit/

weak
>>
>>7401500
Yes.
Non even memeing here, this is probably the most 'reddit' book currently in existence. Even more than Game of Thrones
>>
File: 1447114564529.gif (891 KB, 325x252) Image search: [Google]
1447114564529.gif
891 KB, 325x252
>>7401523
This is exactly how I felt about it. I read the book back before it was scheduled to be a movie. I picked it up when I saw it on a Goodreads best of the year list. And don't get me wrong, the plot was good. I enjoyed the plot. It was the attempts at injecting humor that irritated me. None of it was funny. It was "reddit humor" at best and the shit that middle-aged people on Facebook laugh at at worst. "Lol pirate-ninjas space boobs in your le face Neil Armstrong". I would have far preferred it if the book played a straight drama rather than being all "we want the reddit audience". But I guess it all worked out pretty well for the author, what with the movie deal and the gigantic advertising campaign, so what do I know.
>>
>>7401500
And what a surprise, its a smash hit.
>>
"In your face, Neil Armstrong! xDDD"

I seriously fucking hate this book and the people who think it's good
>>
>>7401534
Ready Player One is moreso, but The Martian is a close second.
>>
>>7401547
I never got around to seeing the film, but I assume it's better than the source material, simply because the only good thing about The Martian is its plot, which will transition well to the screen.
>>
matt damon kind of saved this in the film im sure.. movie was okay, not the worst ive seen. Don't regret seeing it...

They forced so much "MULTICULTURALISM" into the movie it was embarassing. You KNOW barely anyone at nasa is good looking or a hipster.
>>
>>7401742
My astronomy teacher loved it.

But then again he's the same guy who used Nicolas Cage's 2012 in a "Teaching Science with Science Fiction" class and didn't get when I complained about it being a anti-science movie.

(the other films: Contact, Deep Impact, The Europa Report and the first Abrams Trek)
>>
>>7401764
You know you can still use those films to learn science in a fun way, right?
>>
>>7401500
>anti-reddit circlejerk
God you fucking guys say Reddit is a circlejerk... It wasn't that bad. It really wasn't. Stop trying to be the anti-reddit.
>>
File: 1447130784736s.jpg (3 KB, 124x124) Image search: [Google]
1447130784736s.jpg
3 KB, 124x124
>>7401782
4Chan is not for you. Please leave.
>>
>>7401782
I think this thread has been entirely fair to the book. It was an engaging plot, but a bad book.
>>
>>7401755
donald glover needs weed money tho
>>
>>7401764
Right but the thing was people were actually taking that 2012 shit seriously, and the movie basically used scientific terms like corporate buzzwords with no regard for actual science.

The Europa Report is the only other movie I'd complain about, in that the astronauts didn't behave like astronauts just so that they would get killed.
>>
>>7401523
My sentiments exactly. Your shit won't sell unless you pander, unfortunately. However, if the dumbshit quips present in the novel were Weir's genuine attempts at humor, I feel bad for the guy.
>>
>>7401755
>They forced so much "MULTICULTURALISM" into the movie it was embarassing. You KNOW barely anyone at nasa is good looking or a hipster.
I think you need to take a good look at your preconceptions
>>
My little brother loved this book and told me "you HAVE to read this, you love reading and this is the best thing you will read this year I guarantee it."

I'm honestly just glad he decided, on his own, to read a book purely for enjoyment. It's only redeeming factor was its plot while the juvenile and dry-heave inducing attempts at humor and blatant pandering completely ruined it, but that doesn't matter. It got my little brother to read a fucking book outside of academic purposes, and for that reason, I will always love The Martian.
>>
Everyone said they liked it in the last Martian thread I saw and I'm really happy you guys changed back to the mindset of the Martian thread I saw before that that just called it reddit shit.
>>
reddit shit desu
>>
I thought it was basically a solid novel, though the attempted humor was just soul-crushing. I mean...i felt embarrassed for the guy more than once at what he was trying to accomplish.

Some people just aren't funny, and shouldn't even try it.
>>
I watched the movie, but I didn't read the book.

Purely based off the movie, it seemed to me that the humor was way too juvenile.

I was disappointed that they used an opportunity to explore the crushing loneliness and psychological problems arising from being stranded on Mars and turned it into an opportunity to appeal to the lowest denominator with "lol look at the bad words he used" tier humor.
>>
>>7402222
>explore the crushing loneliness and psychological problems arising from being stranded on Mars

That sounds pretty fucking shit desu

The humor may be bad, but it's the personal, modern approach that saved a dry, tedious story and made it successfully average.
>>
I was going to buy either this, or "The Man in the High Castle".

I ended up buying the latter, did I make the right choice?
>>
>>7401786
You are reddit's closet kek
>>
It's an alright book. It's success is for the same reason every other blockbuster book makes it: it tries to reach out to a huge demographic that doesn't really read much. In this case, lame facebooker types who spend 2 hours a day posting pictures of their new arts and craft decorations and think the pinnacle of comedy is dane cook.

To them, this book is genuinely hilarious.
>>
>>7402307

>successfully average.

lel
>>
>>7402307

Well....in fairness, having an book that's a massive hit be average is a good thing. Most successful books are usually god fucking awful.
>>
Its really just a 200 page blog about some sperg, written by a 'le nerd xDDD' type of guy that took some science courses in HS
>>
>>7402222
>I was disappointed that they used an opportunity to explore the crushing loneliness and psychological problems arising from being stranded on Mars and turned it into an opportunity to appeal to the lowest denominator with "lol look at the bad words he used" tier humor.

I was offended when, in the movie, they make a joke at how we expect him to be severly traumatised by being alone on Mars but then he's just angry at the disco music, like the movie's laughing at people in the audience who dare expect a movie to have some intelligence about its characters.

There's absolutely no character arc with the protagonist. It's this, much more than the "reddit humour," that makes me think this movie and book is literally only for autist nerds.
>>
Is anyone not really complaining about the science in the book/movie being so absurdly unrealistic?
"Let's use a exadecimal system to decipher an ascii table, which has no letter whatsoever, because just saying you made ten signs with the numerbs just didn't sound brilliant enough, did it?"
>>
god this board is worthless
>>
>>7401755
This. It was obvious that they were trying to accomadate the characters portrayed to fit SJWs standards. Also they tried waaaayyy too hard when it came to Gambinos character too make him that clutzy, awkward and "indifferent" guy that is simultaneously a genius. What a fucking clitche.
>>
>>7401500
yeah he made a truck load of money off it.. what has /lit/ ever done besides be little pretentious bitches hating on everything?
>>
I just finished this earlier this week. I did get a little annoyed at some of the humor throughout. Also, the story became formulaic after a little while. There'd be a problem, he'd fix it, it would cause another problem, he'd fix it, no problem like all the equipment he had was just a perfect situation for dealing with problems. It was like everything was just a minor annoyance. Also, was everyone on Earth sarcastic, or was it just me?

I did like the pacing and really wanted to see if he made it off Mars and how they would do it. The descriptions of the action scenes and events in general was good enough to easily imagine what was going on.
>>
It honestly made me a more cynical person...I saw like 5k 5 star amazon reviews and figured it would be fun pulp. A modern day Jack London in space. Not a classic, but a fun read for me.

No. I got 30 pages in. It's just so fucking bad. Take reddit humor and the "I fucking love science" fb page, put it on Mars and you have this book. Just awful.

I talked to a coworker who loved it. You know what he doesn't like? Back to the Future. What a kek.
>>
>>7401896
He'll become a stemfag astronaut and you'll be serving fries with your literature degree. How would that make you feel?
>>
>>7404723
He already is graduating with a STEM degree in May, and I graduated from pharmacy school in 2013.
>>
>>7404571
>hey guys! First week on /lit/
>>
>>7404797
He's right though. This board is for children ashamed of their youth.
>>
At least he had sense enough not to shitpost on a Lebanese online dating site
>>
>>7401526
>20gb folder full of thumbnails

Is this even possible? How much thumbnails of 5 KB each you have to save to make 20 GB?
>>
>>7401547

top kek! 4chan's humor is far superior. reddit is full of keks! lel NIGGER
>>
File: fedora man1.png (21 KB, 605x198) Image search: [Google]
fedora man1.png
21 KB, 605x198
>>7405576
fuck off you bigot
>>
>>7401523
I couldn't even finish it. Every page I read made me feel progressively more nauseated.
>>
>>7401547
>the plot was good
The plot wasn't even good. Just based on the cover and high praise I thought I was about to dive into a serious psychological exploration of the long term effects of complete isolation, but no, instead the protagonist turned out to be reddit: the spaceman, completely impervious to any psychological trauma. The plot certainly had potential, but the last thing I would call it is 'good'.
>>
>>7402985
>dare expect a movie to have some intelligence about its characters.

>muh crushing loneliness
>that feel when alone in mars ;_;
>>
>>7404816
you could easily do the math on this yourself, fuckface
>>
Why do people like this book so much?

The dialogue IS FUCKING AWFUL
>>
This is how I feel about the first 10 pages of bleeding edge. After loving gravity's Rainbow I'm feeling pretty disillusioned with papi Pinecone
>>
File: poem_for_your_sperg.jpg (50 KB, 593x603) Image search: [Google]
poem_for_your_sperg.jpg
50 KB, 593x603
This is what happens when a redditor writes poetry.

She has +1 million le upboats xD
>>
>>7405576

It really, really is. Outside of /b/, /pol/ and /r9k/, which are cesspits of human despair, 4chan humour is hardly that coarse and juvenile.

Reddit's idea of humour are nauseating comment-chains consisting of increasingly unfunny and shitty puns.
>>
>>7401754

I only just found out that Ridley Scott directed it.
>>
>>7401782

But reddit encapsulates everything that is poshlost and plebeian.
>>
>>7404723

At least he wont be unoriginal.
>>
>>7406747
This is a lot funnier if you imagine exclamation marks at the end of each stanza.
>>
>>7406747
Who the fuck wrote this? Is it actually from Reddit?
upvoted
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.