[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished reading this and I need to talk about it. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: BK.jpg (303 KB, 1400x2092) Image search: [Google]
BK.jpg
303 KB, 1400x2092
Just finished reading this and I need to talk about it.

What a ride!
This is best book I've ever read. Don't know why I didn't read it years ago since I've pretty much read almost all his major works. Maybe I was afraid to be let down... I feel so stupid now.

Anyway, many parts of this book blew me away, but first lets discuss why do you think Dimitri is the best Karamaov.
>>
alyosha obviously best karamazov who the fuck are you kidding
>>
Ivan could beat up both
>>
>>7401122
>>7401259
fuck u two niggas

fyodor is obviously the best karamazov
>>
>>7401122
>Dimitri is the best Karamazov

You are going to have to go first on that one. #Alyosha4lyfe
>>
>>7401122
I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much.
Best Karamazov is Ivan.
>>
>>7401274
second that, fyodor ftw
>>
>>7401122
Question.
>Whats the idea behind this book? Tried reading it last summer but couldn't get behind it.
>>
>Alyosha is the best Karamazov
--/lit/, /an/
>Ivan is the best Karamazov
--/fit/, /sci/
>Dmitri is the best Karamazov
--/fa/, /naughtypictures/
>Fyodor is the best Karamazov
--/pol/, /g/
>Smerdyakov is the best Karamazov
--/b/

>Those guys who do the juggling act are the best Karamazov
--/toy/, /tg/
>>
Karamazovs in order from best to worst:

Ivan
Alyosha
Dmitri
Smerdyakov
Fyodor
>>
>>7401336
fucking wrong, let me fix it for you

>Alyosha is the best Karamazov
--/adv/. /mlp/, /r9k/

>Ivan is the best Karamazov
--/sci/, /pol/, /his/

>Dmitri is the best Karamazov
--/fa/, /fit/

>Fyodor is the best Karamazov
--/d/

>Smerdyakov is the best Karamazov
--/reddit/
>>
>>7401345
this is true
>>
>>7401345
Agreed on /mlp/ for Alyosha.
/d/ goes with /b/ under Smerd.
/fit/ is too disciplined for the sensualist Dmitri.
Reddit is obviously Team Ivan. >muh Grand Inquisitor
>>
>>7401345
>Those Alyosha boards
Well if you're going to be a moron about it, why not
>/r/atheism
for Ivan?
>>
>>7401359
>butthurt alyosha fag thinks reddit is part of 4chan

not surprised
>>
File: condescendingsmiledot.gif (602 KB, 245x181) Image search: [Google]
condescendingsmiledot.gif
602 KB, 245x181
>>7401359
>mfw Ivan was already described with the fedora boards
>>
>>7401369
What's the 4chan equivalent then? /v/?
I really don't understand how someone can find Ivan interesting though, Alyosha either for that matter. They're both boring
>>
alyosha: veggie sub
ivan: chicken bacon ranch
dimtri: roast beef
fyodor: pizza sub
smerdy the terdy: moldy bun
>>
>>7401377
Maybe Alyosha lacks the dramatic spark of Ivan and Dmitri, except when he's questioning his faith. Then again, being a namesake of Dostoyevsky's deceased young son would mitigate against much of a dark side.
>>
On a more semi serious note, why do you think the author sees Alyocha as the hero?

Who does Alyocha promises to love forever? Humanity? Grushka?

Why does Dimitri gets so much pussy?
>>
>>7401397
He's the hero because he's the most religious.
>>
>>7401377
>What's the 4chan equivalent then?

the boards i used.

>I really don't understand how someone can find Ivan interesting though, Alyosha either for that matter. They're both boring

i do understand why people find them interesting i just think they're wrong for thinking so.

>>7401397
becuase he's not a beta.
>>
>>7401397
Because dostoy is religious and that's the point of his works

dmitry gets pussy because hes passionate
>>
>>7401377
>I really don't understand how someone can find Ivan interesting though, Alyosha either for that matter.

Nigga wat
I agree that Dimitri and his father are much more "funny" but the other 2 brothers are very very interesting.
Maybe Alyocha is a bit predictable, but Ivan? No way.
>>
>>7401387
you missed a real opportunity to make smerdyakov "tendies"
>>
>>7401409
If someone came on 4chan posting Ivan's opinions to someone who hadn't read Brothers K, they would be fedora shitposted into oblivion. It's not to say I dislike Ivan completely, but when I read Rebellion and The Grand Inquisitor, it was all shit I had heard before from those same people that get called fedoras here.
>>
Fyodor is so top kek. I was sad when he died that we wouldn't get anymore of his wicked bantz.
That Cana of Galilee chapter was my favorite in the book though. Basically stream of consciousness.
>>
>>7401409
>>7401419
Although it was funny to see him get out-fucking-played at every turn by the flunkey
>>
>>7401419
>not understanding that the whole point of ivan is that he stops being a fedora after smerdyakov's autism ruins everything for everyone
>>
>>7401427
No, that's not it. Ivan is Dostoevsky praising skeptics but showing where it leads.
>>
>>7401419
I don't know what that has anything to do with him being interesting or not tbqh.

He is in a immense struggle, unlike fedora posters in here.
In fact I'm inclined to believe he's almost afraid of being that same man that remained still for 1000 years, before finally walking for a gorillion years to find paradise, just because the fact of an afterlife existing would be against his ideals.

I think he's probably the most interesting Karamazov.

sorry for the poor engrish
>>
File: niggawat.jpg (158 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
niggawat.jpg
158 KB, 1600x900
>>7401435
>says no
>doesn't disagree
>>
>>7401419
>>7401356
>Grand Inquisitor
Fans of that section are first to overlook how strong of a refutation follows in Book VI (and the book as a whole).
>>
>>7401454
It's an amusing story, but did anyone actually take it seriously?
>>
>>7401460
I don't know why but it reminded me of 1984 very strongly.
>>
>>7401460

It sure seems like some people take it seriously. It gets published by itself even.
>>
>>7401469
It seemed to me like a kind of strawman dostoy put up just so that he could tear down. I wonder how he would feel about people embracing it in earnest
>>
>>7401480
It also felt like that to me.
I was very impressed by the Inquisitor chapter, but the final words from Zossima felt at least as strong and, in retrospect, The Grand Inquisitor felt like the words of someone disappointed with something while Zossima's chapters felt like wisdom.

I dunno, I'm still digesting all of this.
>>
>>7401122

Because he's based. Not as much as Fyodor though.

>>7401259

I used to agree, but even though Dostoevsky masterfully pulls him off, I can't help but think of him as a bit of a Marty Stu.

>>7401345

/r9k/ are a bunch of reality-hating, defeatist misanthropes. Not exactly Alyosha material.
>>
>>7401259
He is the most beautiful Karamazov, but Dmitri is the funniest and most based Karamazov.
>>
>>7402434
Because he's based. Not as much as Fyodor though.

This, Fyador seems like an accumulation of all the brothers whereas the brothers take on various aspects of his personality

obviously with Alyosha proving the exception
>>
Not read this yet, but it's on my bookshelf. Is there a Notes from Underground-esque character in there?
>>
>>7401454
Alyosha pretty much BTFOs it as soon as Ivan finishes telling it to be honest.
>>
>>7401122
I read this book a while age, and I must say that this book is such a let down. I mean, only this religious brother(I don't remember his name) is all right, but the rest... even if they say that they have some ideals in reality they don't. Everything resolves around love, treason etc. I felt almost like some kind of soap opera
>>
>>7402445

Why do you ask?
>>
>>7402453
maybe you should stick with 1984
>>
>>7402445
Smerdyakov pretty much fills that role
>>
>>7402460
>>7402460
They're a large part of why I enjoy Dosto.
>>
>>7402461
1984 is ok, but I prefer "Brave New World".
>>
>>7402468
kek
>>
>>7402446
This.
>>
>>7401359
ivan would hate /r/atheism
>>
>>7401122
Pasta.
>>
>>7402468
>he still subscribes to the 1984/BNW dichotomy
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.