[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some books that will help me grow the fuck up and be a man?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 437x437
I don't mean some hemingway or jack Donovan meme shit, I mean more like hardening the fuck up and doing what needs to be done, working hard, stiff upper lip, persevering, stuff. I've always read a lot of camus and whiney "what is le point" trash, but recently read The Doctor Stories by William Carlos Williams and had my mind blown. Give me more stuff like that.
>>
File: Mishima.png (342 KB, 753x362) Image search: [Google]
Mishima.png
342 KB, 753x362
>>7400902
yukio mishima - sun and steel
>>
Epictetus - discourses and handbook
>>
Get a girlfriend. Seriously.
>>
>>7400910
This shit here. It was my wake up call.
>>
>>7400902

'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius
>>
>>7400902
'The Bible' by Jesus Christ.
>>
Read biographies, particularly of people who have achieved something. Yukio Mishima's Sun and Steel has already been mentioned, but also read any biography on Mishima you can find because you'll be amazed by the self-discipline and prodigiousness, and it's one of those rare cases where you can go, afterwards, read the subject's own work, much of which has a lot to offer in that sense.

Edmund Morris' three-volume Theodore Roosevelt biographies are good as well. And I can guarantee you that Isaac Deutscher's The Prophet series, particularly the first volume, will give you the inspiration to find some sense of purpose in your life and develop the self-discipline to seek it, regardless of what you think of its politics.

In terms of fiction, Bordewijk's Character comes to mind:

>Katadreuffe is an illegitimate child, raised in a Rotterdam slum, but lucky in the character of his mother, who is independent, self-respecting, and austere to the point of rejecting the repeated proposals of the boy's father to marry her, or simply to help her with money. The man in question is a force of nature, violent as a matter of policy, grasping, ruthless, and full of resource. Young Katadreuffe joins a firm of lawyers as a kind of superior office-boy, and is seized with the romance of business and the practice of law. He undertakes to educate himself, and enjoys the consideration of the senior members of the firm, but they make no allowances for him; handsome, intelligent, and severe, he is his mother's son, and no man may offer to help him. He is his father's son, too, and he means to prevail.
>>
>>7400902
Man you spooked af
>>
>>7402137
>by Jesus Christ
>>
>>7400916
>>7402117
+Seneca
>>
>>7402158 no problem if self aware
>>
>>7402248
>"""""""grow up"""""""
>""""""""be a man""""""""
>>
>>7402251
Go into the jungle now Son. Don't come out until you have your first Kill or is Dead.

We will be waiting for you.
>>
I find it pathetic that people, fully aware of their own problems regarding their person, NEED a fucking book to help them with their condition

A book won't help you, if you really want to "grow the fuck up", you should do so without the help of anything or anyone
>>
> doing what needs to be done, working hard, stiff upper lip, persevering, stuff.

Read Marx. Then you'd realize you shouldn't just roll over like a put-upon wage slave
>>
>>7402238
fuck that hypocritical bastard as aguide, his letters are worth reading but pnly for the insight into the period and the way a man can trick himself.
>>
>>7402251
>womyn shame language
>>
>>7400902
The stiff upper lip is a satirical term and only the kind of people who put up 'keep calm and carry on' (and boy, I do hope you know what those were for) use it.
>>
>>7402313
I encourage you to reflect upon how stupid this post is. Don't forget that you can always read over a post before submitting.
>>
>>7402379
He could've been a jerk, but he's right, no book can make you a grown man, that's your task
>>
>>7402383
Yeah. And you can even read a book while you're at it, go figure!
>>
The Idiot's Guide to Growing The Fuck Up And Being A Man...for Dummies.
>>
>>7402383
disagree.
your mind will take on the character of your most frequent thoughts.
>>
>>7400902
The Recognitions by Gaddis
>>
i got you senpai

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14/100-must-read-books-the-essential-mans-library/
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.