[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think about tutoring? Have you ever been tutored?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: dvdface.jpg (46 KB, 250x351) Image search: [Google]
dvdface.jpg
46 KB, 250x351
What does /lit/ think about tutoring? Have you ever been tutored? Have you ever tutored? For money? Been touched inappropriately by the girl with big titties next door because your mom wanted you to not fail maths in your senior year of high school so she asked her to teach you polynomial and quadratic equations?
Personally I'm against taking money for any exchange of knowledge, as I believe any form of interaction should be completely based on one person enjoying the other's company and wisdom, as well as views, no matter how different, they have to offer each other.

I despise the notion of knowledge being something that can be assigned a price, no matter how high or low. Fuck sophists too while we're at it, and people who live off of tutoring others.

The reason I'm asking is because I've taken up teaching English to chink kids over an app, it pays 10$/hr, and I do enjoy their company, but once every few minutes while talking to them and this is usually while waiting for them to make a coherent sentence, I get the feeling I'm pimping myself out. It's even worse when it's a student of the opposite gender, and they're paying me by the minute, literally 17c a minute. I can't put a price on my company to these people, or the quality of the "service" I provide to them, I feel sick just by writing that.

I don't know /lit/, I just don't know.
>>
>>7400409
You using Tutor.com?
>>
>>7400419
No, it's an app.
>>
>>7400424
They have an app you tutor through as well. It sounded like you might, from the similar pay rate and preponderance of Chinese.

Anyway, I feel that way when I'm doing it too, unless it's a younger kid. If it's a college or high school kid, it feels a bit dirty. But I'm more than happy to help a middle schooler figure out how to understand a poem, or go over some vocabulary words with them.
>>
>>7400409
>Fuck people who live off of tutoring others.

So fuck all teachers everywhere? I agree in principle that knowledge should be free. However there are ways to obtain it for free, from your library, from the internet and from formal education in you know, civilized countries. However, at the point where you'd like to have extra help to obtain it, I see no reason why you'd expect it should be just handed to you.
>>
>>7400433
It's this app, which one are you using? http://www.nicetalk.com/index.php?m=agent&c=teacher&a=teacher_register&code=HR39KQ86 (embedded ref code for what its worth, if you wanna participate in the filth altogether, eh, starts you off with 10$ and me too after you do like an hour's worth of work).

>>7400435
I agree completely, there's a price put on other people's free time if you look at it that way, not on the knowledge they provide, and that's fine, but there's really no justification. The best kind of knowledge is imparted to someone in a loving, and caring way, a pure way, so to speak, not by paying for it.

And before you ask, yeah, I'm against paying for pussy too.
>>
Do it locally unless you're a third world shitstain yourself. $10/hr is nothing.
>>
My opinion is that it's ok if you just make enough money to live(rent, food, etc), but if you're asking for extraordinary sums of money just so you can buy expensive shit and spoil yourself, then I think it's disgusting.
>>
>>7400409

Also

>I get the feeling I'm pimping myself out

Welcome to the real world. Every job everywhere feels like pimping yourself out if you stop to think about it. You can pimp yourself out for more or less and you can get more or less enjoyment out of it, but it's only a quantitative difference.
>>
>>7400441
I'm a third-world shitstain and proud, people here charge literally 5-6$ for an hour and a half of advanced maths/physics tutoring. It's just weird to have some dude come to your house, or even worse vice-versa, for some peanut-tier money if you look at it from a 1st worlders perspective.
Like shit man. The only reason people hire tutors anyway is because the teachers of those subjects (maths/physics) are shit at explaining shit, since nepotism is how they got their jobs anyway.
>>7400447
How does one even get to tutor that hard to be able to afford expensive shit?
>>
yes and no, I write college papers for cash
>>
You've got more chins than a Chinese phonebook lad
>>
>>7400470
scust
>>
>>7400472
Hey bud, you gotta do what you gotta do. I wasn't about to start dealing drugs, but I have to eat
>>
>>7400475
literally better to deal drugs
literally
>>
>>7400409
My university pays good students to tutor other students with no cash out of the tutored student's pocket. I think all schools should have something like that.

On the other hand, there are people who make twice the school's hourly rate because idiots approach them personally the day before some huge exam and offer them a huge rate to help them pass the class they haven't attended all semester. Your idealistic idea about knowledge being free has little to do with someone who fucked up and just wants to get a B.
>>
>>7400487
That's a great idea though. It helps nurture a proper attitude towards tutoring, and doesn't leave the guy tutoring hanging money-wise.

Shame you won't find it anywhere else.
>>
>>7400490
They're called writing centers, and a large percentage of tier 1 universities have them.
>>
>>7400452
In second world countries, highschool teachers and above, who also tutor privately make so much money I don't even know what they do with it.
>>
>>7400498
Japan only comes to mind, and that's university-tier teachers, or those with a huge track record that help kids get into goodass unis and not flunk their entrance exams.
>>
>taking money in exchange for things that are available to anyone
>2015
>>
>>7400475

How'd you start doing this?
>>
>>7400470
Hey how did you get into doing this? I'd love to write some papers for money - I could subvert the system and learn something at the same time! Any tips?
>>
I've tutored at Australian universities, to help struggling students and make some extra money ($50 per carton of beer is a hard life). I mostly had Saudi-Arabian students with too much money - except for one they all assumed that tutor means "writes my homework for me". It was always a struggle. Most of the then resorted to cheating and paid (!!) rewriting services (they exist!) which literally went and took Wikipedia articles on the subjects and (apparently automatically, because it rarely fit) replaced the words by synonyms. Extremely lazy students, and since this is Australia and universities make their money with foreign students, they all got their degrees in the end.

Now I hate tutoring, and Saudi-Arabians.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.