[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How boring is the bible? I've always avoided attempting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: Bible2.jpg (151 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Bible2.jpg
151 KB, 800x533
How boring is the bible? I've always avoided attempting it because I feel it would just be a total slog
>>
File: 1434859468932.jpg (78 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1434859468932.jpg
78 KB, 600x600
>the creation of everything
>incest
>rape
>genocide
>wars
>satan
>slavery, starvation, locusts, murdering firstborns
>the incarnation of God
>crucifixion
>boring
>>
>>7400334
Depends on the book. I will admit to not having read the whole thing, but there parts that detail long genealogies in a way that makes textbooks look interesting. I also tried reading Job once and it was ridiculously repetitive. If I remember right, it was like Socratic dialogue except twice as repetitive and twice as self-indulgent.

There are other parts that are quite easy though, especially in the New Testament. Books like Timothy that part pretty succinct with clear details that would make even the most fundamentalist Christian cringe.
>>
>>7400334

Its purpose isn't really to be entertaining.
>>
>>7400334
I'm a very resentful ex-Christian, but the bible is pretty interesting.
>>
>>7400355
>Reading for the plot

You sound like genre fiction fag who can't understand why someone would rather read a book like Stoner than read books about space wizards with light swords.
>>
>>7400334
The Gospels and a lot of the NT are reasonably engaging. As other anons pointed out though, there are points which are just pages of genealogy
It is very much worth reading if you are serious about literature on an academic level
>>
In my experience it sucks you in in a magical way
>>
Builds character.
>>
>>7400334

It's a fascinating read, religious or not. I think the Gospel and Revelation of John are by far the most interesting, always have from the time I was really young. The synoptics canonize Jesus as a wonderful teacher, and as the son of God -- John elevates him to ineffable source of wisdom, love, and adds the mystery and myth that makes the crucifixion, ascension, and second coming so wonderful.
>>
>>7400355
sounds metal af bruh
>>7400360
>I'm a very resentful ex-Christian
fucking fag
>>
>>7400334

Why would you be reading it?

Many parts are very exciting, and it would help immensely if you understand the history surrounding the time period.

Many people say the Old Testament is worthless but if you want to really understand the New Testament you have to have at least a mediocre understanding of the Old.
>>
File: images (26).jpg (17 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
images (26).jpg
17 KB, 309x475
>>7400334
It is epic. If not for your beliefs, for the cultural/historic aspects.
>>
The majority is incredibly fucking boring. Tried to read it straight though couldn't get through it. Don't care enough to try again.
>>
Did you guys just read through it in order or is this retarded? What's the best way to read it?
>>
>>7400417
>and they will know you are Christians by your love
Fucking fag
>>
>>7400492
>*tips*
>>
>>7400516
>Jesus and Paul said to not be a dick
>"lol look at this fedora lord I bet you wear fingerless gloves and eat Cheetos too you ugly person
Why are Christians so aggro?
>>
File: Christposting.png (108 KB, 335x334) Image search: [Google]
Christposting.png
108 KB, 335x334
>>7400541
Not all of us are, brother. That person seems to be from reddit's /r/4chan board, where they foster the false idea that all of this site is /b/
Before /his/ caused many Christians to move away, we had wonderful and welcoming threads. What would you like to discuss?
>>
It's the same tone, over n over.
>>
>>7400557
I just dropped in to say that the bible's a neat book even though I don't believe all of it. Studying it nonstop up close and personal through my youth while also studying modern scholarship mad belief untenable but it's a cool document.
>>
>>7400573
>cool
>>
>>7400583
Wow sorry I'll use King James words in the future.
>>
>>7400584
Lying is good.
>>
>>7400588
>sarcasm is lying
You sound like every youth pastor ever trying to lay down a guilt trip on a random kid.
>>
>>7400593
boredom is your hallmark
>>
>>7400541
>[*tips*ING INTENSIFIES]
>>
>>7400334
It gets more fascinating if you read supplementary texts.
Required Reading:
>The Bible (Douy-Rheims)
>Catechism of the Catholic Church
>Parts of the Summa Theologica (Specifically Part 1 and Part 3).

Apologetics:
>Handbook of Catholic Apologetics-Peter Kreeft and Ronald Tacelli
>The Everlasting Man-Chesterton
>Orthodoxy-Chesterton
>Catholicism-Journey Into the Heart of the Faith- Robert Barron

Theology:
>Summa Theologica-St. Thomas Aquinas
>City of God-Augustine
>The Works of St. Anselm
>On the Incarnation-St. Athanasius
>Defense Against the Arians-St. Athanasius
>The Consolation of Philosophy-Boethius
>Pensees-Pascal
>Introduction to Christianity and Jesus of Nazareth Series by Joseph Ratzinger

Biography/Conversion works:
>The Confessions-St. Augustine
>Apologia Pro Vita Sua-John Henry Newman
>The Seven Storey Mountain-Thomas Merton

Historical/Sociological works:
>The Formation of Christendom-Christopher Dawson
>The Dividing of Christendom-Christopher Dawson
>History of the Catholic Church-James Hitchcock
>Keepers of the Keys of Heaven: A History of the Papacy

Literature:
> Shusaku Endo- Silence
>The Divine Comedy-Dante Alighieri
>The Works of Flannery O'Connor-Flannery O'Connor
>The Power and the Glory-Graham Greene
>Diary of a Country Priest-Georges Bernanos
>The Works of G.K. Chesterton
>The Moviegoer-Walker Percy
>Lancelot-Walker Percy
>The Lord of the Rings-J.R.R. Tolkien
>The Book of the New Sun-Gene Wolfe
>Brideshead Revisited-Evelyn Waugh
>The Canterbury Tales-Chaucer
>A Canticle for Liebowitz-Walter M. Miller
>Tears of the Prodigal Son- Ivan Gundilic

Mysticism:
>Collected writings of Meister Eckhart
>The Dark Night of the Soul-St. John of the Cross
>Collected Writings- St. John of the Cross
>The Interior Castle- St. Teresa of Avila
>Revelations of Divine Love- Julian of Norwich
>New Seeds of Contemplation- Thomas Merton
>No Man is an Island-Thomas Merton

My pasta which you may find useful
>>
Varies from book to book. Some are great, but others can be skipped.
>>
>>7400664
>books that can be skipped
The Bible
>>
>>7400693
Certain books are essential if you want to have a full understanding of Western culture.
>>
>>7400721
>full understanding

le impossible
>>
Extremely.
I'm waiting for the audio-book version that has Gilbert Gottfried as the voice of God.
>>
>>7400693
This is just lazy
>>
>>7400727
That's fair enough, but they're still required to have a sufficient understanding of it.
>>
>>7400743
>>7400721
To be honest, if you read enough of everything written since 1950 and nothing else you could have a better understanding of western culture than the most learned classicist.
>>
>>7400771
>still
>>
File: last supper.jpg (145 KB, 2378x650) Image search: [Google]
last supper.jpg
145 KB, 2378x650
old testament is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>7400612
Most of those are boring though.
>>
>>7400612
This is such garbage. How did people spend so much time writing about magic dust and burning trees?
>>
>>7400846
Boring is very subjective.
>>
>>7400334
First time I tried to read it, it was out of curiosity and to learn factoids.

Now I like religious texts to research my alt history fantasy universe.
>>
>>7400850
>*tips*
>>
Nothing too exciting, it's interesting to read though, I always like to read the fantastical parts and try to decypher what's exaggerating and what isn't.

No offense to any Christians, of course.
>>
>>7401043
Too late, I'm offended
>>
>>7401043
Please remove the post
>>
>>7401468
>>7401471
Too bad, christniggers BTFO.
>>
>>7401477
Edgy
>>
>>7400612
>The Lord of the Ring
>The Book of the NEw Sun
>sociology
>no hagiography
>no Mauriac
>no Huysmans
>no Barth
>no Ricœur
>no Ellul

What is this shit?
>>
>>7400612

> no Origen
>>
The king james bible is beautiful. The stories, on the other hand, can be quite weak at times. The problem is the drastic differences in quality and theme between the short books. That's a good point though - most books of the bible are 1 session deals. You can get through it in chunks, and it's important to read if you're into literature because a lot of writers reference it.

DO NOT read any version in English other than the king james.
>>
It took me a good two-and-a-half-months to read the entire thing. Well worth it. The dullest parts detailed the creation and measurements of various items in the tabernacle, which you can safely skip. Everything else is a breeze. I return to the Book of Psalms every day.
>>
File: 1432323884812-0.png (26 KB, 431x499) Image search: [Google]
1432323884812-0.png
26 KB, 431x499
>>7400334
Well, it is the written word of God.
>>
>>7401900
>DO NOT read any version in English other than the king james
Remember when they said "DO NOT read any version in Latin other than the vulgate."
I remember.

The DRV is best.
>>
>>7401900
Only if it's the 1611 version.
>>
>>7401789
>>7401712
Instead of being retarded you could have given recommendations on what to add to the list.
>>
>>7401900
>DO NOT read any version in English other than the king james.

Don't talk garbage

If anyone wants to gain the best understanding of the bible they should pick up a modern scholarly translation with notes and annotations (the Oxford NRSV is the best I've seen)

/lit/s unearned elitism gets boring sometimes.
>>
>>7402069
cute
>>
>>7400334
I'm up to Jeremiah and most of it so far has been fairly dry, I'd have to say.
Some of the Mosaic books and some parts of the prophets were ok.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.