[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just bought this old edition of 'On the Road' by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 9780140274158-us-300.jpg (16 KB, 300x517) Image search: [Google]
9780140274158-us-300.jpg
16 KB, 300x517
I just bought this old edition of 'On the Road' by Kerouac at a used books market. What's your opinion on the book? I've never read Kerouac before.
>>
Whatever it is, it's a great book. Make sure to check out 'The Original Scroll' later if you like the edited version.

Kerouac appropriated the literary methods of Balzac and Proust to put together his oeuvre and for my money, OTR, Subterranneans, Dharma Bums, Desolation Angels, and Big Sur can be read as one text.

Hard to go wrong with that, and then he still has a vault of poetry and other writings to check into after the main works.
>>
It's a nice comfy travel story for about 50 pages or so but then you realize that it isn't going anywhere and that the only reason it's acclaimed was because it inspired a bunch of hippies to go on road trips.
>>
it's very good at a certain point if ur life

after it's ok
>>
>>7399844
>doesn't go anywhere
have you READ the Mexico part?

Kerouac goes in a few laps throughout the course of the book, but it only gets better. It's one of the first great modern pieces of confessional writing, but it was shoehorned into a 'novel' for the sake of publishing.

Fuck Grateful Dead fans.
>>
>DUDE AND THEN WE SMOKED SOME WEED AND WENT ON ANOTHER CRAZY ADVENTURE THAT AMOUNTED TO NOTHING
>>
>>7399867
that's Dharma Bums
>>
>>7399855
>have you READ the Mexico part?

No, I haven't. What happens in it?
>>
>>7399883

p-pls no spoil
>>
>>7399883
Near the conclusion of events in the book, Jack is exhausted by his peers and a few years on the American road and drives to Mexico City with his pal. It's one of my favorite pieces of his writing, the last 50 pages or so of OTR.

You'd have to understand his life story for any of this to spoil any meaningful aspect of the text.
>>
I really liked this book
>>
>>7399830
Made me realize that Jazzfags were insufferable
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.