[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any good lit dealing with chaotic metaphysical decay and/or disintegration?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: en nnng.jpg (17 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
en nnng.jpg
17 KB, 460x276
Any good lit dealing with chaotic metaphysical decay and/or disintegration? Like extreme ontological shocks, someone's world violently falling apart or rapid loss of sanity?
>>
harry potter and the order of the phoenix
>>
Lanark
King Lear
The Book of Job
>>
American psycho and psychosis 4.48 (the author of this one killed herself after she wrote it)
>>
>>7399628
Nausea is all about that shit.
>>
>>7399654
Already read AP (had something like that in mind actually). Psyched to read the other one thou

>>7399650
>>7399662
Thank you guys
>>
Los Angeles - Peter Moore Smith
>>
>>7399628

The Man in the High Castle is tangentially related. Dick in general I guess, though I'm not too familiar with him.
>>
>>7400171
Yeah maybe. PKD has a lot of what ifs that challenge and disturb the world, reality and ideas of his characters. It's worth looking into.

Check out A Scanner Darkly, Dr Futurity, Ubik, and Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. The only one I haven't read of these was ASD, but I've seen the film and I'm aware that it has to do with psychosis. I'm pretty sure PKD was inspired by friends of his who experienced just that (from drug use, I believe).

I don't know about your suggestion, though - I personally really enjoyed reading it, but MitHC seems to fit the bill less than the others I've just written. I also understand that some people consider it one of his worst works. Maybe somebody else can comment.
>>
>>7400198

You're probably right. MitHC is the only Dick I've read, and while I find it interesting and somewhat related to ontological breakdown, it is somewhat tangentially.

Out of the ones you mention, which one do you think is the best? I've been meaning to get acquainted with the Dick for some time.
>>
Gravity's Rainbow
>>
>>7400198
you'Re basically right, but dr. futurity? come on, that's one of his worst
>>
>>7400268
definitely ubik
>>
Maybe Antigone.
>>
GRAVITYS RAINBOW

It's the best apocalypse book ever. While the world ends around them every character's internal world ends as well. The last 150 pages or so are the painful psychological death of a much loved character.
>>
>>7400451
You didn't like it? I think it was the first book of his that I read. I just listed it because it concerns a white doctor transported into a mixed-race death-worshipping world.

It's probably the worst example, but it still fits OP's bill, in my opinion.

>>7400268
Ubik, for sure. Flow is also interesting (and weird), but not as good, in my opinion.

I'd also recommend the Blade Runner novel. I like it. It's pretty depressing, though.
Otherwise, I wouldn't bother too much with his short stories, unless someone wants to recommend any particular ones.
>>
>>7400569
fanboy

pls disregard
>>
>>7400591
>death-worshipping
I probably shouldn't word it like that. Well, I'll just say that the values of where he ends up contradict with his own as a doctor.
>>
>>7400592
>fanboy
What the hell does this mean
Reading Gravity's Rainbow is one of the most powerful artistic experiences you'll ever have
>>
>>7400600
Sorry, you're not a fan.
>>
>>7400600
Replied 2b8m9
>>
File: HYPERSPHERE.png (438 KB, 425x611) Image search: [Google]
HYPERSPHERE.png
438 KB, 425x611
>>
>>7400620
Y'all weren't classy enough to misspell the title?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.