[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which does /lit/ value more: prose, or good storytelling?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: Beautiful environment art.jpg (89 KB, 1426x777) Image search: [Google]
Beautiful environment art.jpg
89 KB, 1426x777
Which does /lit/ value more: prose, or good storytelling?
>>
What if I told you 'word economy' is both 'prose' AND 'storytelling,' and that it's literally the entire craft of writing
>>
A nice prose can save the worst story or even take its place. The best storytelling skills can't deal with an average prose, on the other hand.
>>
>>7398848
I disagree
>>
>>7398845
stupid, you're just saying that good books contain 'good use of words'. Considering that writing is literally nothing but the use of words, of the prose/story dichotonomy you're just saying that what matters is 'good writing'. No shit sherlock. Twat.
>>
>>7398872
the act of selectively arranging words is the entire job, whether the words constitute a sentence of a story. The first word < the right word, and there's always a right word because words are the only way we can contextualize our surroundings.
>>
>>7398848
I'd say the opposite
>>
prose, obviously.

storytelling is a parasite on the non-plastic arts.
>>
How come it's always "prose vs. plot"? Does no one care about character development or themes?
>>
File: UlyssesCover[1].jpg (20 KB, 374x478) Image search: [Google]
UlyssesCover[1].jpg
20 KB, 374x478
>Story: Just an average day in the life of a kek
>Prose: Amazing and groundbreaking
>hailed as a masterpiece

I think we all know what's more important here.
>>
>>7399822
No one said plot, anon. In my post I said storytelling, which is a product of many different things including character development.
>>
>>7399835
Other people's opinions of a work?
>>
>>7398842
I think you need both.
>>
>>7399863
Bingo!
>>
>>7399858

People use the words plot, story, and storytelling so interchangeably that I don't really know what anyone means when they use those words anymore.
>>
>>7399863
unironic lmao
>>
>>7399863
>le only my special subjective opinion of a work matters :^)
>>
>>7399835
I disliked how meaningless the story in Ulysses felt. I’ve read other novels which consisted mostly of the protagonist walking around town, or people sitting in a room and talking, but in Ulysses the plot felt like it only existed because it needed to; it seemed like something that just was there to give Joyce the opportunity to show his skills. Many of the episodes – while written beautifully and with the utmost meticulousness and skill – felt mostly unimportant; only in few of did something important happen – by important I do not mean important from the perspective of plot or character development or the like; the plot steadily advances from episode to episode. Tremendously well written as it was, Ulysses convinced me that good prose alone does not make a novel complete: it needs to have a purpose.
>>
>>7400195

It does have importance. It comes from the Characters. Leopold Bloom is one of the most complete characters in literary history and a very admirable man as well. And there are many important character moments. Don't tell me during Molly's soliliquy at the end all you thought was, "This sure sounds pretty, but nothing's hapening, really."
>>
I value the biggest big big prose tbqhfamalafams
>>
File: borges.jpg (40 KB, 428x560) Image search: [Google]
borges.jpg
40 KB, 428x560
Eat shit faggot
>>
Oops >>7400389
Meant to reply to
>>7398848
>>
>>7398842

good storytelling comes with good prose in my opinion. What do you mean?
>>
>storytelling
people actually read for story?
>>
>>7398842
>prose, or good storytelling

Both
>>
File: 1435728743207.jpg (590 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1435728743207.jpg
590 KB, 1600x1200
What in the fuck is prose anyways
>>
File: 1349725250045.jpg (210 KB, 623x527) Image search: [Google]
1349725250045.jpg
210 KB, 623x527
>>7402252
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.