[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright you faggots, I'm starting Infinite Jest. Is it suggested
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Alright you faggots, I'm starting Infinite Jest. Is it suggested to get one of those reader's guides too? They seemed unnecessary and kind of pricy.
>>
I don't think a reader's guide is worth it. Realistically its a fairly simple book. Just requires multiple reads.
>>
Totally unnecessary, like yeah there's a few cool Borges references here or there but it's not complicated prose (for the most part, certain segments on math or in vernacular can be a little tough but nothing that would ruin a first-read through). Guides pretty much just feed you trivial information which is only cool to know if it becomes your favorite book or something.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 485x210) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 485x210
It's the most clearly written book you'll ever read besides The Stranger. You just have to get past the early-ish ebonics chapters. It's just long. There are no tricks to it.
>>
i just realized dfw is autistic

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wie8uPgQOYE
>>
Thematically, if you really want to understand the book then just watch a few of DFW's interviews/talks (Charlie Rose stuff, This is Water speech) and, if possible, read a few of his essays (E Unibus Pluram, etc).
>>
>>7398339
He gets called out on something in that interview and panics.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1497x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1497x2048
>>7398339
'You'll FEEL it in your nerve endings' —flashes a glance—impressed? Oh you're not—continues talking. O Davie.
>>
>>7398339
>'hypereducated undergrad'
>doesn't seem to be ironic
>>
>>7398332
there is no ebonics you pleb, the only vernacular he ever writes in is the greater Boston are dialect, quit this meme already.
>>
It's real easy to understand, the only people who have trouble with it are normies who can't handle a "big word" every 10 pages and think a book being long is a bad thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 500x289) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 500x289
>>7398469
Can you back that up? He talks about ebonics in one of his essays. He writes with the hallmarks of ebonics in those chapters. Boston dialect? In Roxbury in the 90s? Really, what do you mean?
>>
V A T E F A I R E E N C U L E R
>>
>>7398469
Wardine be cry

Yrstruly
>>
It's pretty easy, just long. I'm sure you have read harder books without any guide. Don't be scared just because it's long.
>>
File: IJ_Diagram-Huge-A.jpg (2 MB, 3500x2265) Image search: [Google]
IJ_Diagram-Huge-A.jpg
2 MB, 3500x2265
I really don't know why all these pretentious posters are saying IV is an "easy" read. I'm not afraid to say that simply isn't true. The endnotes and vocabulary alone push it out of the "easy" category, not to mention the 100+ characters.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.