[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning New Languages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10
File: klimt-buchenwald1-1902.jpg (305 KB, 598x600) Image search: [Google]
klimt-buchenwald1-1902.jpg
305 KB, 598x600
Has anybody here successfully taught themselves a second language?

Trying to learn French ATM. My resources are the internet, Rosetta Stone, a a native French speaker I've made friends with at university.

I've heard that immersion is the best way to learn. I'm trying to quiz myself at vocabulary, waiting for my skills to level up a bit until i start worrying about grammar.

So, anybody who's been in the same boat as me and came out on top, what are some learning paths you found useful? It doesn't have to be French.

I'm thinking about setting clever bot to French and trying to immerse myself that way? Is that a good idea?
>>
I worked on learning German for a few months this summer. Got a lot of the grammar fundamentals down bc of 1337 teacher but my vocab is weak. I decided I didn't want to do German philosophy for a PhD so I gave up, but I could feel my grasp of the language coming. Probably if you spend a whole year going hardcore for a couple hours a day you will be conversational. But if you don't stick with it it fades, so I am wondering what is the point, other than 'looking good' on applications
>>
Ehh i taught myself american sign language back when i was 13 and 14. my friend knew some so we had some convos in it. Eventually stopped using it and i literally forgot EVERYTHING. i cant even remember the alphabet. So i think you really need to study it a lot and use it as much as you can. Anyhow i'm trying to learn Russian now. Its a lot harder since its a whole knew alphabet. You can try duolingo if you haven't heard about it already
>>
File: 1439241784095.gif (3 MB, 640x362) Image search: [Google]
1439241784095.gif
3 MB, 640x362
>>7397862
>My resources are the internet, Rosetta Stone, a a native French speaker I've made friends with at university.
>immersion is the best way to learn
>quiz myself at vocabulary
>until i start worrying about grammar.

HOW THE FUCK DID YOU MANAGE TO DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF EVERYTHING YOU SHOULD BE DOING
>>
>>7398016
WHAT THE FUCK SHOULD I BE DOING???/
>>
>>7398016
What should you be doing?
>>
>>7398016
?
>>
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/French

I learned japanese with /int/'s guide.
French guide is probs good too though
>>
>>7398048
From ancient languages I'd say that you want to get some decent grammar knowledge under your belt at the same time as the vocab, otherwise you'll find formulating sentences difficult.
>>
>>7397862
Rosetta Stone is a waste of time. I did it all for German, then went to Germany to do a month long intensive study. They tested my level and I was put into A1 with the people who had taken 2 semesters of college German. Not only is that shit expensive but it's also an ineffective use of your time.

Another shitty thing about it is that when you buy it you forfeit your rights to sell it, and you can only have it on a few computers because of the shitty DRM. I got tired of seeing it on my shelf last year so I gave it away to a random guy at my university. Funny thing is that he can't use it because it can't be installed on another computer, so that was fun.

The question then is, how do you learn a language? If you want to know then go to the website "how to learn any language". There are guides there and forums. Or if you don't want to do that read Fluent Forever, he presents a good method. Ask me any questions you want, I'll be here a while.
>>
>>7398099
what about duolingo?
its free . . .
>>
>>7398126
IT'S SHIT YOU FUCKING RETARD

GET A GRAMMAR BOOK AND LEARN THE GRAMMAR YOU STUPID BITCH
>>
>>7398126
Slightly better than Rosetta Stone, especially because it's free, but it's basically the same method. Translation, boring lessons that are just meaningless sentences over and over.

>>7398130
Yes it is.
>>
>>7398130
>>7398132
So, i should look into getting a grammar book then?

Anything you two could recommend?
>>
>>7398148
You learning French? I only have recommendations of Russian books, sorry. Also seriously go to the how to learn any language website so you can build a plan.
>>
>>7398148
SANDBERG'S FRENCH FOR READING
>>
File: 1427300779655.jpg (44 KB, 556x386) Image search: [Google]
1427300779655.jpg
44 KB, 556x386
>>7397862
I tried to learn Japanese but in the end ideograms are so obtuse that even with all the excellent programs available for memorization exercises, and provided you do learn at least 1500 and optimally 2200 ideograms you need to be 'fluent', you still need to retain that knowledge over a lifetime of cramming. That's too many hours that can be spent more wisely I think. Worse yet, it can happen that you neglect your daily quota of memorization exercises, and 'knowledge' gathered over the years can slip away to stage one.

You won't be enduring anything similar with other languages because you won't forget the alphabet.

Felt great when I learned hiragana. I stopped midway through katakana because I looked ahead and thought things through.

What's the best way to 'get' how and when to write accents in French? Any sort of simple guide? I never can figure out which jot goes over which word and when.
>>
>>7398149
>>7398156
thanks
>>
I've tried so many times to learn a language, but I just don't have the knack for it. On several separate occasions, I've tried to learn even a LITTLE big of Spanish, French, and even Japanese. But other than a few fundamental phrases, I absolutely suck at learning languages other than English. It makes me feel like a complete and utter retard.

What makes it worse it that I'm transferring to a university that requires four semesters of a foreign language, and I currently have 0. So yay.

Which language should I pick?
>>
>>7398179
Use Anki, or at least some other SRS, it's a gift from God. You'll remember like you never have before. Read Fluent Forever for a good guide on how to do that.

The easiest languages for an English speaker are Spanish, Italian, French, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, and Romanian. Pick one of those that interests you the most for whatever reason, be it cultural or whatever.
>>
>>7397862

Don't ignore grammar even from the beginning. Use Duolingo and all the other resources you have but know that they won't be as useful as going to a Francophone country, taking a class or having a French girlfriend or being constantly around French people speaking French.

I learned enough French to read all right but it helped knowing Spanish. I took two years on college and read some books in French with a dictionary. I started with the Stranger which is super easy and I could read after a year of French study.

If this is your first language you are learning you might want to find a class. I studied an intensive year of Arabic in an institution and now I really think that it is close to impossible for a newbie to learn a language on their own.

After what I have done I feel as if it would be easy to learn a language by myself but in the beginning no way.

On a related note, maybe you could use Esperanto as a stepping stone. What do yall think about learning Esperanto. Worth it? I might do it next by myself since it will be easy and go to Italian and German if I can't find Farsi or an ancient language being taught somewhere.
>>
Why do you people even bother doing this. I get the desire to do so, but learning and retaining a second language (after your developmental years) is gonna be nearly fucking impossible unless you're forced to use it on a very regular basis.

Now just think of all those hours spent studying this stuff. There's a large probability you're gonna lose ALL that time. Time. The thing you have a very small amount of before you die. And you're spending learning it stuff that you're prolly gonna forget before it even becomes useful.

I sure as hope fuck you enjoy the work of learning it for the sake of it, because that enjoyment is prolly the only thing you're gonna get out of it.
>>
>>7398204
I mean if you look at it like that, what's the point of doing anything? You don't retain anything you've made for yourself after you die.

As for me I learn Russian for the literature mostly, and it's just fun for me because of how obsessed I am with Russian history.
>>
>>7398204
This is so very incorrect. Sure, it's easier to learn things when your mind is still forming, but learning can - and does- happen for the entire lifespan.

Y'all can do this. Just don't give up.
>>
Swallow your pride and buy a GRAMMAR textbook. Rosetta is useless, it just teaches you vocables, not context and not conjugation. You'll never learn with it how to conjugate the past subjonctif of the verb "partir", for example.
The same is true for the internet. It actually can teach you grammar, but if you don't know what to look for it is useless. You need a proper textbook.
>>
>>7397862
The best way to achieve a language on its own is to learn as much frequent vocabulary as possible—you can search for list of most frequent words in French newspapers—and get as soon as you can the grammar basics in order to read. Anki—or another SRS—is a priceless tool, you should download it right now and create your own deck. It's important you don't download an already existing deck. Dump Rosetta Stone and Clever Bot. Talk with your friend to improve your pronunciation and learn the IPA.

>>7397885
An excessively dense schedule rarely works. Reading one or two articles each morning, working an hour on a grammar textbook and another one on Anki and vocabulary sorting is enough until you're B1~B2, but don't expect it before two or three years.

>>7398169
You don't forget them if you read frequently and I don't think it's a good idea to learn Japanese if what drives you isn't the writing system. Accents in French are quite regular and follow phonological rules, you just need to learn them or cram vocabulary until you naturally recognize them.

>>7398179
You look like your main concern is to stick with a language. How long have you studied each of these?

>>7398204
It seems you're projecting a bit.
>>
>>7398212
Getting money. Fucking bitches. Etc.
>>
I know this has been repeated several times in this thread but I really just don't see the point of learning another language when I live in an English-speaking area, I will probably always live in an English-speaking area, and I have no plans to stay in a foreign country for any period of time that I would need to know the language. I speak English natively and at an advanced enough level that I'm constantly complimented on my writing skills. English is the only language I need for anything I will ever need to do. And the amount of time that's required to become fluent and stay fluent in another language (hours a day every day) seems just so pointless when there are already so few hours in a day and I never NEED to know another language.
>>
Wordreference is a great source for a dictionary and has a verb conjugator.

I took four years of Spanish and two years of French in high school. Would of taken five years of Spanish ("College level") as I took Spanish I in middle school if the teacher who taught it wasn't a horrible teacher. That shit saved my ass. If there is any bookstores near you I'd reccommend any grammar book, honestly. Or just move to France or Quebec.
>>
>>7398236
You don't want to step out of your comfort zone, challenge yourself and see the numerous advantages of being a polyglot so I don't think any argument will ever convince you. Don't you want to travel? Don't you want to access a fresh, wide knowledge without having to go through a translation? Don't you want to get it as a strong asset in your professional background? Don't you want to discover foreign poetry? Don't you want to experience newer ways of thinking? You repeatedly used the verb “need” but do you ever “want” anything?
>>
>>7398149
Can you recommend me some? I'm learning Russian, and I want all the help I can get
>>
>>7398258
When something is going to take up an incredibly significant portion of my life for years to come - yes, I tend to consider needs over wants.
>>
>>7398462
It doesn't take so much tim and once you get to a decent level, working is itself pleasurable and culturally worthy because of what you read to improve your skill, you learn about France history and culture and so on. I'm 22, perfectly bilingual, on my way to master a third language and currently learning about a fourth one. How is this a waste of time? I already got my job partly thanks to my language skills.
>>
>>7398462

A new language often comes with a new way of thinking about language and structure. Take russian for example. There are types of humor and wordplay in Russian, worse and entire phrases even, that simply don't exist in English, and vice versa. Someone who only speaks one of the languages will never comprehend what the other has to offer.

Same with Spanish or German, or many other languages. I used Russian as an example because it's one I'm fluent in.
>>
File: 1425347904210.jpg (160 KB, 1024x698) Image search: [Google]
1425347904210.jpg
160 KB, 1024x698
I'm currently learning German from scratch and I don't really know how well I'm doing. On the other hand English is my second language so there's that.
>>
>>7397862
>setting cleverbot to a foreign language

holy shit brilliant
>>
>>7398679
u can only do it in spanish, unfortunately

million dollar idea tho
>>
>>7398454
Yeah, sorry I went to bed. A good grammar book is Introductory Russian Grammar by Stillman. Visit "how to learn any language" the website or use the methods presented in Fluent Forever. Use Anki, make flashcards with pictures from google and sounds from forvo, etc.
>>
File: 1448614945443.jpg (45 KB, 352x395) Image search: [Google]
1448614945443.jpg
45 KB, 352x395
>>7398231
>>
>Has anybody here successfully taught themselves a second language?
No, but I learned a third one: Japanese. I initially did it for otaku culture but now I read literature mostly.
>>
>>7398540

How'd you learn Russian, and how long did it take?
>>
OP, you don't have to set the language on cleverbot. If you just start typing in any language, it will just pick up in that language.
>>
>>7397862
Speak to that friend exclusively in French. Start now. There's a good Ted talk on the subject:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G1RRbupCxi0
>>
>>7400363
Cool that you were able to capitalize on your weebness.
>>
File: 1435474448643.png (849 KB, 700x1050) Image search: [Google]
1435474448643.png
849 KB, 700x1050
IMO, people telling you that Rosetta Stone or other programs are useless are wrong. Not because these language-teaching programs tend to be great, but because a diversity of apps and softwares is the best way to guarantee you're working on all aspects of the language. Learning to speak a new language is like working out, the same routine again and again will eventually stop making effect and you can't just exercise a few selected areas.
>>
>>7402019 here, also:

>>7398230
>The best way to achieve a language on its own is to learn as much frequent vocabulary as possible—you can search for list of most frequent words in French newspapers—and get as soon as you can the grammar basics in order to read. Anki—or another SRS—is a priceless tool, you should download it right now and create your own deck. It's important you don't download an already existing deck.

This dude is absolutely on point. You do Anki + Frequency dictionary for a month and you'll be amazed at your progress the next time you accidently click on a Le Monde article. Start with like 10 words and increase as you go. Try not to give your own pronunciation to these words in your head, because they're definitely wrong and some of these wrong pronunciations might stick with you for years until you get the right one.

You can go to forvo.com and check the right pronunciation for some of the french people and places you know, because these will stay with you and help shape your "intuitive" reading of french words. And Anki allows for audio, so you can download a file from forvo and put it on a card if you want.

If you don't put your grammar/vocab knowledge into practice, you'll probably forget everything you've learned. So after you do Anki for a month or so, start reading some newspaper in french and at least once a day try to translate a short text from english into french, but choose one with an "official" french translation so you can verify your work. You can also send it to your french-speaking friends and ask them for advice.

Building phrases in a new language is really really tough, and I think this is where a good number of people give up. But if you have the self-discipline to do it every day it will become second nature. Your french friends are probably not worth having conversations with until you're decent at that part, so you should only bother them when you're at that stage where you can express yourself in french, but in a really slow way and sounding like a retard.
>>
>>7402019
I never said it was useless, I said it was harmful. Rosetta Stones teaches a ton of craps that will slow you a lot and I think your advice is irresponsible and drives people to embrace whatever they find whereas actual good ressources are pretty rare. Unless you want to speak like a retarded textbook character or fuck up your grammar with wrong rules and toxic “tips”, Rosetta Stone should be thrown far, far away.
>>
>>7402071
Unless it literally lies to you for some reason, any language-learning tool is hardly going to be harmful or counter-productive. The worst it can do is waste your time with an ineffective technique, but after a while OP will be able to identify those and filter them away.

I can't vouch for Rosetta Stone in particular though, since I don't own it.
>>
>>7398169
Are you /Heisig/ ?
I'm at 2150 now
>>
>>7398169
>I tried to learn Japanese but in the end ideograms are so obtuse that even with all the excellent programs available for memorization exercises, and provided you do learn at least 1500 and optimally 2200 ideograms you need to be 'fluent', you still need to retain that knowledge over a lifetime of cramming. That's too many hours that can be spent more wisely I think. Worse yet, it can happen that you neglect your daily quota of memorization exercises, and 'knowledge' gathered over the years can slip away to stage one.

That has to be a great exercise for memory though
>>
>>7398204
your life must suck with that attitude. glad i'm not you
>>
i'm learning swedish and i use duolingo, memrise, anki. i've completed the swedish tree and i'm going over it again. i'm also listening to swedish songs, radio and chatting with some swedes online.

it's probably not the most optimal way to learn but it works for me. i just can't read a grammar book and learn a language that way.

i'm not exactly fluent but i'm probably b1 level
>>
>>7402100
I checked Rosetta Stone as a French teacher to judge its relevance and eventually include it in the ressources given in the syllabus but I was amazed how carelessly it has been built, to the point I even wonder if a single French speaker was involved in its development. Grammar is introduced in the worst way possible, making up nonexistent “practical” rules which will obviously be contradictory with the real ones once the students progress further, not mentioning they are seemingly provided with no coherence, in a chaotic order that serves no clear purpose, mixing up advanced, anecdotical grammar points with the most basic conjugation. The vocabulary is either obscure or unused and contribute to build odd, almost false sentence structures while it demonstrates heavy inconsistencies in both the lexical fields and the language register.

Albeit wasting your time is already a serious concern, a software—or a textbook—can be counter-productive and harmful, and I guarantee you Rosetta Stone will set any French learner back and poison what he may have already learnt with corrupted materials and ill grammar. Avoid it, it's a warm advice from someone who studied French for more than eighteen years.
>>
>>7398169
Different anon, currently studying Mandarin using traditional characters. I agree that the sheer amount of rote memorization required is daunting - I have gone through nearly a half dozen notebooks filled with nothing but characters written over and over again - but the process is actually fairly rewarding once you get into the habit. Writing characters is quite meditative and what's more, illuminating, as you begin to see patterns of pronunciation and meaning. Something as simple as the shared radical between 瘦 which means 'thin' and 病 and 痛 and 痠, 'sick', 'hurt and 'sore', respectively, was enough to make me pause and wonder how Chinese traditionally viewed thinness. Feels rewarding, man.
>>
>>7398204

>There's a large probability you're gonna lose ALL that time. Time. The thing you have a very small amount of before you die.

It's like this retard completely forgot that he was lurking 4chan yet again when he was posting this.
>>
>>7402134
Short term only, hence the renewal.

>>7402263
Yes but you probably plan on doing those memorization exercises long term.
>>
I use japanesepod101 dot com! What do you think senpapi?
>>
>>7402102
Anki, I was only at the middle of Katakana. I can reccommend you Kanji Gold though.
>>
Here's my suggestions (based on teaching ESL for 10 years in 4 countries, and studying 4 languages other than English):

* Pick a language that you are genuinely and strongly motivated to learn. It takes a long time to learn a second language and I've generally found people who started in learning in their teens in school tend to reach native levels of proficiency by their early 30s. Choose a language that you must learn, and you will learn faster.

* Get involved in the culture of the language you're interested in. Listen to their music, watch their movies (use subtitles and/or their language tracks if you already know the movie well) and read their books (even children's books are great at a low level). Join groups in your area based on common language interests. Drink with these people because it really does make you speak a second language better.

* Computer resources can be very useful. There are a few people shitting on Rosetta stone here but it is useful for transferring your implicit knowlege of language rules to explicit knowledge of spoken use. I'm also a fan of duolingo because there is a pretty much set order in which you will acquire grammatical structures and duolingo trains you in this way. Don't limit yourself to these resources though: mix it up to keep yourself interested.

* Live in a country that uses the language you want to learn. Until you can do that, use languge exchange (via skype or in person) and penpals. These are available for free on the internet and will give you authentic exchanges. You speak English natively, and that is a massive asset that you can use to your favour.

* Don't pay for classes, unless you are a richfag who can afford private lessons. Most language schools are businesses first and will cram you into whatever level class they have a space in that you're stupid enough to keep paying for it. Successful language schools are all marketing hype. You're better off with self study and practicing through language exchange. Be your own teacher.
>>
>>7402715
Amazing post, here are some more advice:

>Have fun with it!
What's the point of learning a new language if you don't enjoy doing it? Don't study too hard, have a pleasant time and you'll always want to do it again!

>Don't give up!
It can be hard at times, but make sure to stay focused and believe in yourself.

>Learn with your friends!
Is there a better way to keep yourself motivated than having your pals engaging in the same activity?
>>
Hello, I moved to Germany and have reached a native level of proficiency within two and a half years. I just forced myself to stop reading English books and only read German ones. I began with children's books, worked my way up to Harry Potter, then regular adult fiction, and now the classics. The trick is to underline every word you don't know, look it up, and write it down. That, and being completely immersed in the language and the absolute necessity of learning it helped a lot.
>>
File: image-20151109-29321-1xynuif.jpg (85 KB, 1356x668) Image search: [Google]
image-20151109-29321-1xynuif.jpg
85 KB, 1356x668
>>7397862
I'm learning english right now. I started translating songs or texts, and memorizing the words I don't understand (I also use the International Phonetic Alphabet). And I listen audiobooks or fragments during the day, or before I go to sleep.

And if someone reads this, I'm searching for "Received Pronunciation" resources or tips.
>>
>>7402834
So before you started reading you did what? You just looked up the words and read as you went along? The hell is going on
>>
>>7402834

Reading is a very underappreciated way of learning language because it doesn't easily lend itself to selling a teaching service. Reading roots language in a meaningful context, which is far superior to trying to memorise a raw, literal isolated translation of terms.

You probably learned so fast because the vast majority of everyday English has proto-Germanic roots, which is the same reason why Germans and Scandanavians can aquire English so easily. Other languages are more difficult, the more distantly they are related to English.
>>
I learned english when i was 13 just by watching Friends and Smalville. I'm currently learning italian just because it's fun the i will go for french.
>>
>>7402834
>>7402894
If really want to learn german. Should I just start doing what was suggested in these posts. Also picking a grammar book?
>>
>>7402911

Anyone who tells you "just learn grammar" or "just learn vocabulary" or "just watch movies" is full of shit. A combination of methods that keep you interested and informed is the best way to learn. You will need to seek grammar help at some point, but there is a wealth of information on the internet about that. Try duolingo for a start, but make a consious effort to "notice" the things that you need to learn.
>>
File: silverfox.jpg (387 KB, 680x1024) Image search: [Google]
silverfox.jpg
387 KB, 680x1024
>>7398236
>>7398204

>5 years from now
>Masters degree in Political Science
>Apply for job as an administrative assistant at EU headquarters in Brussel
>They look at my CV
>Native tongue is Swedish ( therefor i'm aslo near fluent in Danish and Norwegian)
>Fluent in English
>ILR Level 4 in French and Turkish
which one of us do you think will get the job?

Some of us aims a little higher than being stuck in the family basement reading pleb tire orwell literature
>>
>>7397862
Dutch & Latin, going to learn some Latin languages & German. I learned Dutch first because it's easier for English speakers than German, and once you know it German is easy. Latin for obvious reasons.

After I finish those I'm gonna try to learn Russian, then maybe Hungarian & Polish or whatever.

I love learning languages.
>>
>>7402715
Half of your advices are bullshit, you should be ashamed to lure people into thinking Rosetta Stone is useful or they don't need a teacher but themselves.
>>
I want to learn Latin, but unfortunately, there's no slick duolingo-esque app for it (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not enrolled at any universities right now.

Any tips for beginning with Latin? I suppose that I could afford a private tutor if it would make a huge difference, but I also have the discipline to do things on my own.

Caveat: it would definitely be a plus if there were some interactive element involved with learning Latin. I bought an old Latin textbook with good reviews but it just seems obsolete to read things like "pronounced 'a' as in 'father'" when I could hear playback on a computer or phone.

Anyway sorry for blogpost, would definitely appreciate any responses
>>
>>7403961
>or they don't need a teacher but themselves
This is correct though, and many popular polyglots agree.
>>
>>7405783
Assuming this isn't made up, it would be the opinion of few individuals with a possible predisposition in learning language, and wouldn't reflect the benefit one would get off an instructor, at least to correct its own production. I struggle to understand such a careless opinion, considering the advantages to talk with a speaker specialized in teaching are obvious and considering you're yourself a teacher, assuming once again this isn't made up.
>>
>>7405822
I'm not the teacher, just pointing out the opinion of not only the many public experts in language learning (a lot of whom would object to the idea of having a particular predisposition to language learning, by the way), but also the many who follow their language learning methodology and meet resounding success.

As for the instructor, what benefits would those be? One can have one's production corrected by native speakers in real conversations, whether they are specialized in teaching or not. One can study grammar from a textbook. One can read and listen to compelling content and immerse oneself in one's language of study. One need not spend money on private lessons to achieve a native level of fluency.
>>
I'm learning French right now. It's a lot of fun. I thought it would be hard but it's actually pretty easy. I guess all that time reading books paid off in a different way.
>>
>>7398204
This is mostly true. If you're not going to actually use the language like live in a country where it's spoken or for a job then it's immensely pointless, and it's going to be a lot harder and more time-consuming for the amount your learn if you're practicing it alone without a friend who is a natural speaker to correct your pronunciation.
>>
>>7398054

Thanks! Just changed the link to Spanish and it's helpful.
>>
I taught myself Japanese in 3 years. Now I can read real novels fluently. European languages take half that time, and ones closely related to a language you know only a quarter.
>>
>>7397862
>ATM

What does it stands for?
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 480x270
>>7397862
I took 4 years of Spanish in high school
I can read and write almost perfectly with the assistance of a online dictionary but when it comes to speaking it I'm awful.
>>
>>7408203
at the moment
>>
>>7408286
>with the assistance of a online dictionary but when it comes to speaking it I'm awful.
Yeah I can do that too with every language in the world.
>>
>>7398212
>>7402155
>I mean if you look at it like that, what's the point of doing anything? You don't retain anything you've made for yourself after you die.
You're putting stuff into my argument that isn't there. If you read a book, you'll forget a large amount of it eventually. But if you love lit enough to do it consistently, every book you read coheres into your understanding of literature at the very least and, at best, life more broadly. And at the very least, you get the enjoyment of reading it.

Attempting to learn a language with thin motivation is like learning to read, then reading a couple books, and doing this with the knowledge that, despite the fact that it took a gigantic amount of effort to even get that far, there's a high probability that you're just gonna get off track and lose all that effort.

>>7402293
Fuck off. I'm not wasting my time here. I enjoy shitposting; I'm getting paid for my time in enjoyment.

>>7398230
>accuses me of projecting
Srsly dude, you know as well as I do that the vast majority of people who try this fail. ffs I wasn't arguing that people shouldn't try things in general, but this task seems like an exercise in hopeful delusion for most (and desu if they're really dead set they're gonna ignore me anyway, whereas if they're on the fence they might still listen to encouragement and end up wasting parts of their life - who, in this situation, is benefiting their fellow humans here? the person who at worst is gonna be ignored or the person who at worst is hurting other people?).

>>7398223
>Y'all can do this. Just don't give up.
The fact that you fuckers even take on this tone when talking about this demonstrates my point for me.

>>7403011
Okay kiddo.
>>
>>7409105
>Fuck off. I'm not wasting my time here.
newfag detected
>>
>>7409105
>you know as well as I do that the vast majority of people who try this fail
I don't know, maybe you're right, I don't have any statistics in mind on that subject. However, even with a percentage of success approaching 2% to 5%—still in my opinion one of the darkest estimation to be made—it represents a lot of individuals. Learning a second language being “nearly impossible” seems a bold statement considering the amount of polyglots out there.

>I wasn't arguing that people shouldn't try [it]
I thought you were. Mea culpa. Anyway, I doubt an unsuccessful experience with another language yields strictly nothing. There is still a lot of features retained no matter what happens, and these count as “culture”, and we don't know much what learning a foreign one does to our brain. Maybe he will learn new methodologies, maybe he will improve his memory—I especially think of Chinese and Japanese—or maybe his brain's connections will slightly evolve in a more profitable way; I don't know but we should keep the door open.
>>
>>7408203
automated teller machine
>>
>>7408203
ass to mouth
>>
>>7397862
I learnt Japanese, and now I'm learning Italian and Esperanto.
My thoughts on the best way to learn a language: learn grammar; learn vocabulary as you learn grammar; read things suited to your level; speak to native speakers; listen to native speakers (conversation/movies/music/etc)
>>
>>7409284
>I don't know but we should keep the door open.
Agreed, friendo.
>>
>>7409313
Also study everyday, no matter how little, every day without exception
>>
File: assburger.png (167 KB, 769x595) Image search: [Google]
assburger.png
167 KB, 769x595
>>7409313
>Esperanto
>>
>>7409072
No you can't.
>>
>>7409105
>Srsly dude, you know as well as I do that the vast majority of people who try this fail.

Everyone who tries sincerely succeeds. 100% success rate. You can only possibly fail if you half-arse it. You'd have to be mentally retarded to be literally incapable of learning a new language.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.