[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best translations of Dostoevsky's work in terms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Feodor-Dostoevsky.jpg (14 KB, 219x347) Image search: [Google]
Feodor-Dostoevsky.jpg
14 KB, 219x347
What are the best translations of Dostoevsky's work in terms of their accuracy to the original Russian text?
>>
>>7397590
McDuff or Avsey.
>>
>>7397590
>translations
>>
>>7397590
P&V is my go-to. As a Russian, you can usually make out what Dostoevsky wrote, although perfect translations are impossible.

Even the title Dream of a Ridiculous Man cannot be translated well because literally it would be "funny man". If you want true Dostoevksy, you gotta learn Russian.
>>
>translations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEl59biItfY
>>
>>7397590
Well, that depends.

If you want a recreation of the works in something resembiling their original grammer and syntax then P&V is your go-to. But their english can be very, very awkward and unpleasant at times. They've also come under fire for changing certain words from more direct translations.

For certain works Garnett is considered to be best, but not all. Avsey is the dark horse, and McDuff is the general favorite amongst serious readers for his ability to retain the author's voice while making the prose pleasant.

Hope this helps!
>>
>>7398003
>If you want true Dostoevksy, you gotta learn Russian.

>ywn
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 350x490) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 350x490
>>7397590
>>
>>7398414
Learning Russian is a bitch for a native English speaker. One of the hardest for sure, I've known people that have been at it for many years and can't read well.
>>
>be russian
>can't into english that well to read anything above school-tier comfortably
>read some russian classic books in my native language
>and stuck with reading shitty russian translations of everything else

Do you like my blog yet?
>>
McDuff
>>
>>7397590
From what I've heard it depends. McDuff seems to be more accurate but P&V tries to be more lyrical
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.