[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dubliners > Finnegans > Ulysses = Portrait
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: jaj1.jpg (84 KB, 500x597) Image search: [Google]
jaj1.jpg
84 KB, 500x597
Dubliners > Finnegans > Ulysses = Portrait
>>
lolno
>>
>>7397337

Absolutely not.

And where the fuck are his lips?
>>
>>7397337
joyce was a weirdo and his works are of invariable unimportance
but muh hipster so unique meme will try to prove me wrong
>>
Ulysses > Dubliners > Portrait > Finnegans
>>
ulysses > portrait > the dead > the rest of dubliners

objectively true
>>
>>7397356
Excellent bait
>>
>>7397352
Irish people don't have lips, the english stole them all. Check your non-celtic fringe privilege.
>>
Dubliners is unbearable, even for a 200 page book. Rest of his work is ok.
>>
FW → U → P → D → FW → u. → p. → UP → D → FW
>>
>>7397598
Just write the names already m8
>>
>>7397598
genuine kekage, ta
>>
>>7397518
what's unbearable about Dubliners?
>>
>>7397598
LEFT, TRIANGLE, R1, L1, UP, SQUARE, TRIANGLE, DOWN, CIRCLE, L2, L1, L1
>>
>>7397337
I'm reading Dubliners (not very far into it) and I don't see the big deal so far. The reuse of words in The Sisters was great at least.
>>
Finnegans Wake > Ulysses > Portrait > Dubliners
>>
Read Dubliners and loved it, but can't get through Portrait. It's so fucking boring baka senpai desu lads. Halfway through, does it get better? Stephen just seems like you're average dude, nothing special, nothing significant. It's basically a longer version of 'A Little Cloud,' but at least that was interesting.
>>
>>7397337
actually, you've got it backwards. Portrait was his second book, and Finnegans Wake his last.
>>
Ulysses>Portrat>Dubliners

I won't venture an opinion on Finnegans Wake since I, like everyone else here, haven't read it.
>>
Finnegans > Finnegans >>>>> Finnegans >= Finnegans
>>
Portrait > Finnegans Wake > Ulysses > Dubliners
>>
>>7398211
I'd give this whole literature thing a rest. you gave it your best try, you can feel good about that
>>
>>7398229
That's sad to hear. I'm not gonna give it a rest though.
>>
>>7398211
I found it painfully boring when I first tried to read it in high school. I picked it back up in University and loved it.
>>
>>7398229
Saddest thing I've read on /lit/
>>
>>7398235
Taught a portion of it to my non-English major students, realized while discussing it that if they couldn't relate to Stephen, it probably sounded over-dramatic and stupid. I just felt very sad while lecturing that class knowing that I couldn't "sell" it despite my best efforts. There's a real subtle brilliance to the section when he follows his father to Cork.
>>
>>7397959
Keep going until you get to the end of "The Dead." And see if the passing of Michael Furey makes you cry. "His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

>>7398211
Keep going until you understand what it means to forge in the smithy of your soul the uncreated conscience of a race.
>>
>>7398252
>>7398233
samefag
nek central station maybe 2 hours after today anime
>>
File: madman.png (233 KB, 427x611) Image search: [Google]
madman.png
233 KB, 427x611
Finnegans Wake > Ulysses > Portrait > Dubliners
>>
>>7397598
;^)-|-<
>>
>>7397337
Ulysses > Portrait > Dubliners > Finnegans

Finnegan's Wake is a meme
>>
All of Joyce's books are big, steaming piles of shit.
>>
>>7398508
>tumblr
>facebook
That's the real 'cringe pic'.
>>
>>7397337
uylsses is s ahit novel very third rate
>>
>>7398211
>Stephen just seems like you're average dude, nothing special, nothing significant.
baka
>>
>>7399001
Dubliners and A Portrait aren't very big desu.
>>
>>7399378
Not him, but I read Portrait like one would read CitR; Stephen is a pretentious twat with his aspirations far exceeding his abilities – his theory of ‘esthetics’ felt like a freshman’s first philosophical thoughts. The non-confession and the one-sided love, too, support this view.
>>
>>7397337
Ahahaha lmao. You obviously haven't read half of them.

Ulysses >>>>> Dubliners > Portrait

Finnegans Wake is unrankable.
>>
>>7398211
>Stephen just seems like you're average dude, nothing special, nothing significant.

you fucking idiot

>>7398271
>There's a real subtle brilliance to the section when he follows his father to Cork.

Yeah, when he remembers Shelley's poem to the moon. Very beautiful.
>>
Ulysses > Dubliners > Portrait > Chamber Music > The Exiles
>>
who is the bigger kek: gabe kekroy or poldy
>>
Is Molly the best or worst person?
>>
>>7401172
not sure but
>She set the brasses jingling as she raised herself briskly, an elbow on
the pillow. He looked calmly down on her bulk and between her large soft bubs, sloping within her nightdress like a shegoat's udder. The warmth of
her couched body rose on the air, mingling with the fragrance of the tea she poured.
>>
>>7401172
Worst person, but very funny.

One of my favourite parts of Ulysses was when she is thinking about seducing Dedalus by pretending to like poetry.
>>
>>7401172
neither, she just isn't a moral person
>>
Your list is backwards
>>
>>7397598
This guy joyces.
>>
Dubliners hit me hard as someone who spurns his heritage and culture himself.
>>
ITT: anons pretending they've read read finnegans wake T O P K E K K K
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.