[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, Meursault killed the arab because of "the heat of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: albert-camuss-the-stranger.jpg (122 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
albert-camuss-the-stranger.jpg
122 KB, 600x840
So, Meursault killed the arab because of "the heat of the moment"? Wtf Camus
>>
there's no because
>>
>>7396443
Because French "people" are imperialist racists.
>>
And then...HE KILLED THE ARAB!

HAHAHAHAHAA
>>
>>7396443
>he's still trying to analyze why Mersault killed the arab
ABSURD
B
S
U
R
D
>>
>>7396449
what this guy said
>>
>>7396455
They will eat that shit up.
>>
>>7396454
this to be honest
>>
Yes, his actions were pointless, without cause or motive: however, they still have meaning. Meursalt's actions reflect France's attempt to defend Algiers from the lower-class Arab natives at the time- resulting in many pointless Arab deaths. Look it up, Camus was strongly opposed to France's actions in Algiers as was Sartre. Meursault comes to represent the average French man, and to some extent symbolically represent France itself with the murder of the arab. He kills for pointless reasons, but his actions do have contextual meaning.
>>
>>7396497
Biographical criticism is such a terrible way to analyze this book.
He does not symbolically represent France. Please fuck off.
>>
>>7396454
If you're racist against French people, doesn't that validate their racism?
>>
>>7396577
No. Particularly not if you don't belong to a race they're racist against. And even more if you're not even racist against them to begin with.
>>
>>7396577
2 wrongs don't make a right
>>
>>7396522
>biographical criticism
>ever not relevant
>>
>>7396577
>there are people who actually think this
>>
>>7396577
I was just joking but the action is symbolic of French military and economic oppression against poorer Algerian Arabs.
>>
>>7396443
At least use the fucking spoiler thing, faggot. I'm reading the book.
>>
>>7396624
>Reading the stranger for the plot
>>
>>7396522
>Biographical criticism is such a terrible way to analyze this book.
I can't say I agree with you, can you explain why you feel this way?
>>
>>7396497
He did it because it was hot. Confusingly, mind-scramblingly hot. And also because he does not choose to make his emotional range conventional. He stays true to his own internal impulses, rather than succumbing to the pressure to conform to orthodox, publicly legible forms of emotion. He acts according to genuine impulse, not according to how others want him to act. This is what seems so shocking in the book's two great examples: he refuses to cry at his mother's funeral (although he was obviously grieving and felt loss) and he was willing to have sex with his girlfriend so soon after his mother's death. I can easily relate to both these actions and refuse to condemn Meursault for them. He is an emblem of freedom for maintaining the integrity of his own feelings, despite the disappointment this creates for others who observe him. He's also an asshole and not very generous, but that doesn't stop me from liking him a good amount. And believing that what he does is right (with the exception of understandably overreacting in the confrontation on the beach).
>>
>>7396624
How do i use the spoiler thing? I have not figured it out yet, and by the way, you shouldn't browse threads about the book you are reading. There is always some guy spoiling the plot (been there bro).
>>
>>7396679
Part of what you said true, Meursault refuses to express his emotional states in the traditional sense, and he does to some extent represent Camus' "Rebel" ,but it doesn't really matter how much you can relate to the character, that has no bearing on the actual text. His murder of the arab may be interpreted in two different contexts: 1. the biographical explanation I already mentioned; 2. an attempt to free himself from society, that fails- it is not until later in his jail cell that he attains true freedom through thought.
>>
"heat of the moment"

Apathetic indifference. Maybe if it was a few degrees colder he wouldn't have killed him. Maybe if he took a different path that day he wouldn't have bumped into him. The ethos of The Stranger is absurdity – Meursault's queer actions drive the novel till the end. Don't look that far into it, Camus would expect you to find nothing.
>>
File: 1445493468363.gif (760 KB, 370x222) Image search: [Google]
1445493468363.gif
760 KB, 370x222
>ctrl+f telling me what your heart meant
>0 results
>>
>>7396686
welcome to 4chan!
http://www.4chan.org/faq#spoiler
>>
After seeing a million stranger threads on lit I just don't understand how so many anons don't understand what the book is about. It's so simple.
>>
>>7396838
Let's hear the definitive analysis then.
>>
>>7396794
Like this? i am gay
>>
>>7397436

Honestly, spend some time lurking before posting. There is really no reason not to, and it's poor form to just go about shitposting from day one.
>>
>>7396522
If you honestly think that the stranger was only about muh absurdism than you are most certainly a pleb, old sport.
>>
>>7397468
Ok :/
>>
Totally le absurd, huh?
>>
>>7397477
It is though..
Even if that guy is right about Mersault being an embodiment of France, that's still dealing with absurdism.
>>
>>7396455
ABSOLUTE MADMAN
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.