[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comfy Books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: comf.jpg (19 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
comf.jpg
19 KB, 500x375
Hello /lit/, I'm spending the majority of next year in the Canadian Rockies in the middle of nowhere, and I'm looking for comfy books to take with me to help occupy my time. Escapist stories that aren't so banally written that I'll get bored half way through, with thick plots to lose myself in. Needless to say I'm open to fantasy and sci-fi.

Non-fiction and/or lit-fic suggestions are also welcome, but I have a little backlog and not much by the way of comf that I can think of buying before I leave.
>>
>>7396127
Tristram Shandy is honestly pretty comfy Uncle Toby has to be the next best comic character after Falstaff.
>>
try some robin hobb, the fitz novels
>>
>>7396127
You need to try Terry Pratchett.
>>
Forest of Doom - Ian Livingstone
>Good CYOA game; involves skills and combat, traditional D&D style setting; good illustrations -- get the 2004 edition for better front cover
>>
File: 19610.jpg (25 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
19610.jpg
25 KB, 312x475
[trigger warning: normie feels]
>>
>>7396127
Just take a pile of big Russian novels -- plenty of Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. You'll be grateful you did.
>>
The Magic Mountain.
>>
>>7396127
A wild sheep chase, by Murakami.
Un roi sans divertissement, by Giono.

Being alone in the middle of nowhere never felt better.
>>
>>7396258
Was just about to post Tolstoy <3
>>
>>7396258
Fairly sure Tolstoy is for plebs, from what I know he just writes banal Jane Austen tier shit for plebs--avoid him OP.
>>
These are the comfiest books I've read:

Absolutely everything by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Little Prince and Wind Sand Stars at the top
Bridge of Birds (and it's two sequels, thought not as much)
Everything by Tolstoy
Everything by Borges
Everything by Tolkein
Everything by John Crowley, The Deep in particular
Great Expectations
Creation by Gore Vidal
The Story of Philosophy
The King Must Die
Alexander Pope's Iliad and Odyssey
Desert Solitaire
100 Years of Solitude
The Man Whom the Trees Loved and Algernon Blackwood in general
GK Chesterton's essays
Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat (and, I imagine, all of Oliver Sacks in general)
The Last Unicorn
Eisenhorn
Earthsea
Solaris
A Short History of Nearly Everything
Neverwhere
Harry Potter
Flatland
Lord of Light
The Diamond Age
Elric of Melnibone
Dune
Book of the New Sun (a little more of a downer than the rest, but very engrossing)

Sounds like a hell of a nice time OP, good luck to ya!
Can I ask what you're doing up there? Just living off savings, or working at one of those fire spotting stations? What's the dealio?
>>
>>7396505
Forgot one, make sure you grab a Complete Shakespeare.
>>
>>7396505
That's a big list.
>>
File: comfy.jpg (45 KB, 650x614) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
45 KB, 650x614
If you haven't read the Greek historians you could read Herodotus and Thucydides. Pretty comfy history.
>>
>>7396513
F-for him
>>
>>7396513
A year is a long time
>>
Read Shogun The Asian Saga Chronology it's pretty long.
>>
File: nohomo.jpg (609 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
nohomo.jpg
609 KB, 1200x1600
>>7396127
Ink, and Velum by Hal Duncan.

You're in for a nice ride
>>
>>7396481
>implying Jane Austen isn't the queen of comfy
>>
>>7396505
Thanks dude, I'm volunteering at a camp, so days aren't going to be exactly empty, but I'll need something to fill up the spare time. But yeah, practically living off savings.
>>
>>7396505
Define "comfy" for us?
>>
>>7396127
I'm not really sure what comfy means in context of reading, but I do have a recommendation.

I just finished the book The Shawshank Redemption. I whole-heartedly recommend it. I didn't really expect the book to be all that great for whatever reason, but something about the book is just kinda beautiful in an Emersonian way.

Solitary was the easiest time in my because I brought Mozart. In my head.

It reminds me of the story were Thoreau was put in jail, and he said in jail he was freer than ever before.
>>
>>7396127
you've probably already read this one but if you haven't then it's a must have.
>hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
>>
>>7396895
Anything that makes you feel comforted and cozy. It's not that hard.
>>
>>7397139
thoreau is a fucking hack of the highest degree
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.