[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ye Olde Fantasy Writers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Stephen_King_Did_It.jpg (2 MB, 1761x1913) Image search: [Google]
Stephen_King_Did_It.jpg
2 MB, 1761x1913
Stephen King once said authors who write "plots" in fiction are boring, instead the book should be all about character in order to make it more organic or believable , I guess.
So when world building is such a central topic to the genre what is the take away here?

PS: Stephen King killed this guy.
>>
>>7394675
wow stephen you took care of that fucker.
no such thing as a mafia wink wink
>>
I do like King's character development. He includes so much backstory to his characters but none of it feels forced or uninteresting. It all adds something.
>>
>character development
>plot progression

pleb-tier concerns
>>
oh shit, king mentioned the guy was dead in On Writing, I thought he was making a horror story joke
>>
File: plebs.jpg (99 KB, 960x768) Image search: [Google]
plebs.jpg
99 KB, 960x768
>>7395693
those are not the concerns, The concern is that in the fantasy genre a lot of writers map out entire worlds where accomplished writers say it's a red flag.

When you use green text to skim over anything substantive, that actually makes you the pleb.
>>
>>7395846
world-building is characterization, of places included
>>
>>7395693
okay, Captain-of-the-Bavarian-Illiterati, what are your elite patrician concerns when it comes to novels?

how many pictures there are?
>>
>>7396121
>it's patrician to have graduated from comics to books without pictures

aim high
>>
Stephen King is also full of shit.

On writing is a great book, but if you read King's books he basically throws his own rules out the window habitually.

More than likely he just said that while he had about 15 oxys in his system and it sounded kinda good.
>>
>>7396129
>>7396126

Good job on your creative writing tongiht.
>>
Reading for ...
>theme
Top Patrician
>prose/style
Patrician
>mood/setting
Pseudo-Patrician
>characters
Pleb
>plot
Top Pleb
>>
>>7396146
yes
>>
>>7396129
That's probably true. An example of an author that did not follow this example is Stephen Erikson, he and his co-author filled in an entire world before they wrote any novels.
>>
>>7396125
you really fucking missed the point faggot
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.