[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of Finnegan's Wake? How should I read it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 442140.jpg (31 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
442140.jpg
31 KB, 312x475
What do you guys think of Finnegan's Wake? How should I read it?
>>
open to random page

http://www.english.txstate.edu/cohen_p/Irish/Mookse.html
>>
>>7394530
> How should I read it?

With a lot of help from the internet.
>>
>>7394535
Some people recommend that I don't try to analyze it, others say that I should read very slowly and dissect it carefully.
>>
>>7394540

whochever suiks ye! time and time there ain'ch ee waidada doot but which thot which art ee owne.
>>
File: finwakeopening-720x544.jpg (90 KB, 720x544) Image search: [Google]
finwakeopening-720x544.jpg
90 KB, 720x544
>>7394540

You should at least look up plot summaries so that you aren't totally lost, which may be a possibility because I'm just assuming, since you're on /lit/, that you're a pleb and want to tackle le difficult meme book just for the sake of wanting to have read it.

Regardless, you will eventually miss out on a lot of stuff if you aren't going to take advantage of the internet age and do some research. I guess, for the initial read, you should just go through it, analyzing what you can (going through it without analyzing it will get you nowhere, unless you're that amused by silly sounding words and not bothered by not knowing what they mean).

Also, read Vico's The New Science, or at least read up on it. It is essential.
>>
>>7394540
if you want a good start, read the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Sartor Resartus >>7394580 what they said, and freshen up on your Irish mythology

i advise just going in and having fun. Dissecting individual sentences is great fun but taking in the pages for the beauty is something great too
>>
>>7394580
>you're a pleb and want to tackle le difficult meme book just for the sake of wanting to have read it

pretty much, yeah
>>
>>7394616

I'm wondering, have you even read Joyce's other books?
>>
listen to the folk song 'finnegans wake' for a plot summary
read ulysses to get the themes
download and audiobook and listen to it while you run errands
listen to terrance mckenna's talk on it
pretend you read it
>>
>>7394530
With a reading group of others to support and to help make sense of all the word play. A bunch of people in my grad program did this, working at ten pages a week. It results in decent progress, though you need a good group of committed people around you for this to work.
>>
>>7394619

What's yr angle mate?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.