[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should I try to self publish on the internet just to make me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 1376828312403.jpg (200 KB, 1679x941) Image search: [Google]
1376828312403.jpg
200 KB, 1679x941
should I try to self publish on the internet just to make me a name and hoping some publisher call me back?

It's this the XXI century plan for writers?
>>
Phil Fish
SHIT!!!
>>
if you look at what's left of publishing, it's a mug's game. i can't see how any serious businessman would risk money on publishing anything that wasn't by Stephen King.
>>
File: wilson bean bael.jpg (30 KB, 333x499) Image search: [Google]
wilson bean bael.jpg
30 KB, 333x499
>>7394488

>should I try to self publish on the internet

No. My last experience reading something that was self-published pretty much confirmed for me that traditional publishing is the way to go.

>>7395607

Pynchon, Franzen, and Toni Morrison are all still writing books, and doing so through the traditional publishing system.
>>
>>7394488
Looking at Phil's face makes you just kind of want to take your knee and crack open his forehead with it.
>>
>>7395626

>Pynchon, Franzen, and Toni Morrison are all still writing books, and doing so through the traditional publishing system.

They're also established writers who have been in the game for decades. They were publishing before self-publishing was ever a thing. It's really easy to get traditionally published when you're already established as a critically and publicly successful writer. Not so much for Joe Schmo trying to get his foot in the door in 2015.
>>
>>7396721

the point is that there's a market for it

no, you won't be making Stephen King money, and yes, you actually have to put effort into your book
>>
Don't self pub. Nobody reads anything that isn't marketed.

>>7395626
What's that book about?
>>
>literature is a sooper dooper art form...but it needs to be curated by the academia media publishing industrial complex because that's what "true art" really is about

LOL
O
L
>>
File: digits.jpg (30 KB, 318x517) Image search: [Google]
digits.jpg
30 KB, 318x517
>>7394488
>self publish on the internet

Why not just meme

Nice dubs tbqhf
>>
>>7397808
No, but I'd like for anyone to ever read my book.
>>
>>7397813

I've read two self published books. One of them i'd ratre as 2/5 on the goodreads scale ("it was ok"), which is pretty damn good because I compare it to published books.

The other was my twisted world, a 21st century generation defining masterpiece.

Also read some of the unabomber's book and he's smart as shit
>>
File: Mystai.jpg (45 KB, 382x282) Image search: [Google]
Mystai.jpg
45 KB, 382x282
>>7394488
>some publisher call me

Maybe a call out of the wild

https://youtu.be/IdneKLhsWOQ

>>7397811

Lovely dubs
>>
Publish in smaller name journals (possibly online), work up to better ones, and then go the traditional route. Self publishing isn't good for shit.
>>
Pay the extra money for good cover art and a good editor if you end up self-publishing.

Good cover art is essential. Cheap cover art makes people think your book is cheap.

Do. Not. Skimp.
>>
>>7394488
That depends, do you want to be a writer by profession or do you just want to write in your free time? If you already have a job in something else and you don't much care about making additional money out of your writting then self publishing on the internet is the way to go, you have zero restraints on how/what/when you want to write, but if you actually want to make a living out of your writing then I guess traditional publishing is better.
>>
>>7397876
It's my understanding that most traditionally published authors don't make that much either, and that it's only the big name celebrity writers like King and Rowling that make the big money.
>>
>>7397886
Another reason to not bother honestly, you most likely won't get recognition/money out of traditional publishing so you might as well get a job in something else and write in your free time, this way you can at least ensure your complete freedom to publish whatever you want.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.