[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has Jung written anything worth reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: jung.jpg (54 KB, 414x542) Image search: [Google]
jung.jpg
54 KB, 414x542
Has Jung written anything worth reading?
>>
yep
>>
yeah
>>
uh huh
>>
>>7393924
His memoir. Also the Red Book that just came out a couple of years ago.
>>
>>7393931
>>7393983
>>7393984
Preciate it guys.

>>7393985
>also the Red Book that just came out a couple of years ago.

I think i'll start with this one. Thanks.
>>
>>7393924
Everything Jung wrote is worth reading.

>>7394033
The Red Book is the absolute worst place to start. Get introduced to his work first. "Modern man in search of a soul" for psychology
and
"Man and his symbols" for his overall thought. Collective unconscious and alchemy and all.
>>
>>7394280
If you need some explanation of why the red book is the worst place to start, it's his individual record of the years he spend sitting in his study and self-inducing hallucinatory states to explore the hyperspatial dimensions of the collective unconscious via his own. It's filled with biblical allegory and requires a working knowledge of how he thought and someone who's fluent in his descriptive idiom to really take from it what's meant to be taken.
>>
File: om.jpg (103 KB, 488x512) Image search: [Google]
om.jpg
103 KB, 488x512
>Obligatory reminder that Jung was a Nazi sympathiser during ww2

Ok with that out of the way-

"Synchronicity: An Acausal Connecting Principle" is god-tier alternative reasoning. It lays out an operating model for reality which is totally different to the cause and effect model and would seriously challenge a lot of modern theory if anyone still took Jung seriously

An oft overlooked but equally important work is his "Flying Saucers: A modern myth of things seen in the sky." Difficult to source but nonetheless worth it, Jung was one of the only major thinkers of his time or ever to deal with UFO's not as a problem of real vs. false but as a philosophical question..very intriguing stufff

>>7394033
>The Red Book
>I think I'll start with this one

please don't read the red book until you have read literally everything else he ever wrote....seriously....
>>
>>7394322
what were jung's philosophical positions? objective reality?
>>
>>7394373
If you expect it to fit into a label or an "ism" like that you're about to get bored.
>>
>>7394373
Jungism
>>
>>7394395
>>7394409
is he an idealist
>>
>>7394424
>uses extremely general world like "idealist" to describe someone without giving definition of what that word means

Tell us what you think an idealist is and we'll tell you. Literally anyone can be an idealist depending on the definition
>>
>>7394322
>Obligatory reminder that Jung was a Nazi sympathiser during ww2

Thats wrong. Pure misinformation. Jung worked for CIA giving them psychological profiling on Hitler. (seriously)
>>
>>7395556
It has also come to light that Jung operated as a spy for the OSS (the predecessor to the CIA). He was called "Agent 488" and his handler, Allen W. Dulles, later remarked: "Nobody will probably ever know how much Prof Jung contributed to the allied cause during the war."

"During the second world war, [Jung] also worked for the Office of Strategic Services, America's first intelligence agency, having been recruited by Allen Dulles, its Central European representative, who wrote about Jung's “deep antipathy to what Nazism and Fascism stood for”. Jung's analysis, written in 1945, of how best to get the German population to accept defeat was read by many, including General Eisenhower."
>>
File: ManAndHisSymbolsSm.jpg (22 KB, 256x400) Image search: [Google]
ManAndHisSymbolsSm.jpg
22 KB, 256x400
>>7393924
I started with pic related and it's been a pretty good intro to his dream theory and collective unconscious in general
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.