[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bet you guys anything, If Harry Potter would have been written
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: fattyballon.jpg (131 KB, 1446x796) Image search: [Google]
fattyballon.jpg
131 KB, 1446x796
I bet you guys anything, If Harry Potter would have been written in this day and age, it would be labelled as fat shaming.

Back in the 90's it was still acceptable to poke fun at peoples weight, without: muh cunditions, muh feelings.

What do you think?
>>
i think you should go post in your own board instead of trying to shit up ours with these flimsy literary references
>>
>>7393419
/thread
>>7393417
You and this thread belong in the >>>/trash/.
>>
>>7393419
>>7393422
Is this not /lit/, a discussion of books?

I don't fucking care if it meets your standards, this is still a book, and the subject matter of my post, raises an interesting discussion.
>>
>>7393419
>>7393422
I think it's rather pertinent to discuss what literature is being written for young people these days. Many dumb or offish people, are written as fat in the series. My argument is that this would not stand in today's literary world.
>>
The last book came out in 2007, family
>>
>>7393442
yes, but the first 3 were written in the 90's. And the world wasn't going through a PC craze.
>>
>>7393436
>>7393438
>implying you didn't just mention harry potter as a justificationto air your grievances about "this day an age"
>samefagging

y
a
w
n
>>
>>7393417
JKRowling's next tweet will reveal that she'd imagined Dumbledore as fat and consciously chose not to write it in his description. Just you wait.
>>
>>7393451
I'll admit to samefagging because I had more to say, so I posted twice.
>>
>>7393436

>raises an interesting discussion.

It really doesn't.
>>
>>7393450
>I was born in the wrong generation! ;_;
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7393454
kek. I don't know about that. She seems to have a sensible head on her shoulders. She didn't even make a big deal that: Dumbledore is gay. The fucking fans and media did.
>>
>>7393457
then hide my post and move on faggot

>>7393460
I'm not making that argument at all.
>>
>>7393417
I remember reading a Reddit discussion (that's apparently been deleted) about HP and fatshaming. The consensus was that Rowling uses appearance based cliches in general. So if a character is bad and fat they will be made fun of for it, but there's also characters like Molly Weasley who inhibits positive stereotypes about fat people (jolly, down to earth).

It's kinda like a book both having both a 'bad' character who's a model and whose skinniness is meant to signify her shallowness, and a 'good' character whose slender frame is supposed to symbolize her innocence.
>>
>>7393450
it was less pervasive/hostile, but PC was def a big deal in the 90s. you just didn't pick up on it because you were a kid.
>>
>>7393464
To be honest, she didn't make Dumbledore gay. That was a shameless marketing trick. There is simply no part in the entire Harry Potter series where you could say "Dumbledore might be gay". Oh he was the close friend of some guy. Yeah, big deal. Rowling pulled it out of her sleeve AFTER the books where over, and everybody went nuts.
>>
>>7393484
Well Rowling is a terrible writer so what else would you expect from her?

Oh, and >>7393417
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7393484

>The consensus was that Rowling uses appearance based cliches in general.

It's remarkable how people can reach such a consensus, and still not see that her entire work is a monolith of clichés.
>>
>>7393484
Interesting. I wish I could have read that. I mean, it is an effective way to tell a story really, It's kind of cheap character development, but it's a children's book.
>>7393485
I guess I didn't know, you are correct in your assumption. I'm 25

>>7393489
I mean, I feel like it was really strongly implied. Dumbledore really really cared for Gellert Grindelwald. But you might be right.

>>7393491
>muh J.K. Rowling can't write.

It's. A. Goddamn. Children's. Book. I feel that they are written pretty well, I've read some garbage in my life, and HP is not one of those.
>>
>>7393512
If it's a children's book, why do you want to discuss it? Perhaps your mental faculties never developed?

>>>/trash/
>>
>>7393508
It may be simple, but it's very imaginative. People will always try and put someone down, for being more creative then them. I remember she got some criticism, because people said she stole ideas from other books etc. etc. However, I feel she is moderately clever, in creating a "Wizard World" with fairly complex rules, and I don't believe she stole anything.
>>
>>7393517
>I can't discuss a book, because it's not written for my age bracket

>>>/autism/
>>
>>7393518
I think the basic concept of the world building is completely Rowling's own innovation, and deserves praise. People are probably right when they make fun of her prose, but I haven't read a Harry Potter book since 2007 (when I was 13), so I can't say for sure.
>>
>>7393464
>>7393489
That's not all she's been doing as to... preemptive unhip-damage control (?) in the form of authorial meddling. Old coot did it again later on, attributing some minority attribute nobody gives a shit about to some background character nobody gives a shit about.
>>
File: writer-salman-rushdie-data.jpg (226 KB, 806x604) Image search: [Google]
writer-salman-rushdie-data.jpg
226 KB, 806x604
>>7393484
>a Reddit discussion about HP and fatshaming
>>
>>7393417
>wahh im expected to treat people with a minimum of empathy and human decency. The feminazi PC police is oppressing me, halp!
>>
>>7393646
>fatties
>people
>>
>>7393646
someone is projecting
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.