[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is metaphysics the biggest meme of all in philosophy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 1445435819576.jpg (95 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1445435819576.jpg
95 KB, 768x1024
Is metaphysics the biggest meme of all in philosophy?
>>
>>7392756
Metaphysics is a word used to discribe what someone is blindly speculating at when talking about some interconnectedness to life that isn't restricted to what's observable by material science. I don't even know what you mean by your question. "Metaphysics" as a label fits on a lot of what theoretical physicists do also. The fact is that the big bang, creation, what have you, is not causally consistent with itself as we now understand it. So when trying to answer it from the human perspective, you end up treading on metaphysical territory.
>>
>>7392756
cite sources or go to >>>/his/
>>
>>7392756
I'm so lonely...
>>
File: Heiddeger.jpg (78 KB, 600x710) Image search: [Google]
Heiddeger.jpg
78 KB, 600x710
>>7392756
All right senpai lets solve this once and for all: HOW TF DO WE OVERCOME METAPHYSICS OF PRESENCE?!?
>>
>>7392788
>Metaphysics is a word used to discribe what someone is blindly speculating at when talking about some interconnectedness to life

nigga what

not sure if I should tip fedora or not
>>
>>7392756
Who is this qt3.14?
>>
>>7392971
>qt3.14?

lewd
>>
>>7392971
This is a SFW board anon. Try to be respectful.

>>>/gif/
>>
>>7392978
>>7392976
Who is this lovely lady?
>>
>>7392971
My boss saw that, now I'm fucking suspended you asshole
>>
>>7393000
>lovely lady

you mannerless degenerate
>>
>>7393000
How dare you.
>>>/s/
>>
Gosh all the people who don't get results on lit amaze me.
>>
>>7392756
his is probably not the place to look for "anti-philosophical" arguments.I would only add that Kant, Hegel, and Heidegger are undoubtedly the philosophers most reviled by "scientific" or "analytical" philosophers, beginning with Moore and Russell.

The objection is most precisely and concisely expressed by Ayer. These "metaphysical" thinkers talk about things that have no real physical meaning or correspondence to experience, but only appear to have meaning in the context of sentences and paragraphs. Because you can say "grammatically correct" things about "unicorns" or "consciousness" these appear to be "real" things.

From this genesis came a long line of anti-philosophical philosophers and "natural philosophers" also known as "scientists." But as Hegel himself said "you can't avoid metaphysics." The certainties of science quickly fall prey to skepticism. The smallest particle enters an infinite regress into smaller particles. Soon enough, physicist are struggling to define the "physical" and find themselves one again sucked into metaphysics.
>>
>>7392931
kek
>not reading Aristotle
>not jumping into the metaphysical rift
My crazy lesbian dwarvish uni teacher was right; you gotta dive, otherwise you stay a pleb
>>
>>7392756
Who is this baby-juice professeuse?
>>
Metaphysics is what separates the patricians from the plebs. If you can't grasp metaphysics it's because your mind is too sunk in sensuality and the appearance of things to rise to the causes of things.
>>
>>7393200
Hear, hear
>>
>>7393200
What is metaphysics even?
>>
>>7392756
Who is this erection confection?
>>
>>7393582
some girl from r9k
>>
>>7392801
/thread
>>
>>7393575
not that guy, but in simple people words, metaphysics is the argument over the existence of reality.

People on one side are the "reality exists outside of our minds, we are here and process reality to the greatest extent we can, but that does not change the physical existence of things" people and on the other side there's the more modern approach of "reality exists only so far as our minds create it for us"

So, basically, the metaphysics is the argument of whether(or in what state) reality exists without creatures with brains to process it. This is a very extreme simplification since there have been multiple more complex ones in the thread and you are still asking.

The first idea is inherently more logical, and that's why most people believed it for a very long time. But with modern understanding of the power of the brain, abstract physics, ideas that we could all just be a computer program, etc. theories leaning towards the second approach to metaphysics has really really taken off.

Keep in mind the two ideas I presented were extremes. Each philosopher of metaphysics will have a different approach that will fall into a unique place on the spectrum between "reality would be the same without any living creatures" and "reality is completely the creation of each individual mind".
>>
Any update on the hot foxtrot family?
>>
>>7393200
What is the cause of metaphysics
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.