[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there any real reason to get an english degree in an american
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10
File: zizek.jpg (61 KB, 362x376) Image search: [Google]
zizek.jpg
61 KB, 362x376
is there any real reason to get an english degree in an american university at this point
>>
>>7392650
English major here. No.
>>
>>7392650
if you like it :3
>>
>>7392650
I want to go to school to get an English degree but I know it will be a waste of money.
>>
>>7392650
Unless you want to learn about feminism, no.
>>
just become NEET master race
>>
>>7392662
I do want to learn about feminism
>>
>>7392650
I enjoy reading. And I can get the government to pay my rent while I smoke weed and read books for 4 years. I'll even get some time to write and have better collaboration and critique than i'll get from anons. I wouldn't mind being a teacher. Having summers off looks pretty worth dealing with little shits all the time. I could teach english in foregin countries if I take more advanced spanish. Always wanted to explore tropical south america.
>>
>>7392663
>>7392667
how dare you bastards mooch of of the government
>>
>>7392665
Then go balls to the wall nuts.
>>
>>7392671
Student loans? The world needs teachers.
>>
>>7392671
>of of
>>
>>7392671
>>7392675
>>7392680
And this is the reason why we need more teachers.
>>
>>7392650

Hahahahaha. No.

Even Harold Bloom says no. It's all shit.
>>
Was there ever?
>>
English major here taking my first upper-level courses, and man is it tumblr in there. and I go to a university in the American south, so I imagine up north, where people are more progressive, you don't read the classics anymore, and every class is taught by a slam poet.
>>
>>7392741
>implying that's bad, you fucking /pol/tard
>>
>>7392741

lol.

>Southern
>Educated

Pick one.
>>
>>7392741
Not even close. Where do you go? University of Alabama?
>>
>>7392741
English Major, STEM minor at Canadian university
At least we don't have to learn about feminism
>>
>>7392781

>Canadian

Bitch, you're feminist by default.
>>
>>7392650
Yes. In order to be an airport novelist.
>>
>>7392790
>feminism
>a bad thing
When will these retarded meme die?
>>
>>7392822

The retarded meme of feminism? Hopefully soon, but I'm not convinced it's ready to die, yet.
>>
File: 1111111111111.jpg (89 KB, 900x530) Image search: [Google]
1111111111111.jpg
89 KB, 900x530
>>7392757
Where were you when this thread happened you fucking fag?
>>
>>7392829
No. I mean the retarded meme that feminism is evil and out to destroy civilization.
>>
File: Whiteshaveshittaste.png (77 KB, 447x749) Image search: [Google]
Whiteshaveshittaste.png
77 KB, 447x749
>>7392838
Where were you when white people were BTFO?
>>
>>7392838

lol.

You dumb fuck.

The kids everywhere but the South were listing stuff they were actually reading. The kids in the South were just listing what they thought they should say because they saw it on the syllabus.
>>
>>7392840

I don't understand? Feminism is evil and out to destroy civilization.
>>
>>7392753
it is bad
stop defining yourself into opposition to /pol/
>>
>>7392855
Ohhh, you're one of those guys. lol
>>
If you go to a good university yeah.
>>
>>7392860

And you're one of those girls? Thanks for the warning.
>>
>>7392865
this where good means, like, HYP or random liberal arts colleges and LITERALLY nothing else
>>
>>7392983

Really? Because Harold Bloom said last year that college is in real bad shape. Can't stand it. He listed the big 3, too.
>>
>>7392650
how did he score that
>>
>>7393007
oh okay i can plausibly believe that they're shit too
>>
>>7393011

He's a rockstar.
>>
>>7392650
Only if you want to study things about feminism and oppression
>>
File: Sofia_University_panorama_2.jpg (2 MB, 2762x1107) Image search: [Google]
Sofia_University_panorama_2.jpg
2 MB, 2762x1107
I guess it's better to study English where it's still regarded as a field connected with linguistics and literature, and not a field related to muh feels only
>English and American studies
>2nd year
>1st semester
>Morphology
>Analytic Grammar
>Cognitive approach to lexical word-loaning(elective)
>General and Academic English
>Public Speaking (elective)
>Phonology
>Translations from English to Bulgarian

>Modernism-Postmodernism lit: The Waste Land; Easter 1916 by Yeats; some poems by Dylan Thomas; Kew Gardens by V. Woolf; A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man; 1984; Lord of the Flies; The Dumb Waiter; The Remains of the Day

>Enlightenment lit: Robinson Crusoe; Gulliver's Travels; The Rape of the Lock; Pamela; Joseph Andrews; The Vicar of Wakefield; The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman; Pride and Prejudice
>>
>tfw my poetry prof defined racism and sexism in ways that had nothing to do with muh oppression
Thank you based prof
>>
>>7393246
Sad that based now means "not a complete ignorant"
>>
Degrees are, like, a scam man
>>
>>7392843
Why was Gone With The Wind so popular? I have honestly never met anyone who has mentioned the book
>>
>>7392650
>american university
>anything
no
>>
I graduated with an English degree three years ago. Immediately finished my masters, and I'm in the Ph.D process taking my time. I teach undergrads at a university and made around 50k this year. Once I finish my degrees I hope to maintain or raise that salary while moving on to teaching more interesting classes.

I would say I landed my dream job, without much effort. I'm totally on track to do what I planned since 12th grade.

Also notable - if you get an English degree, you're only a year or less(depending on effort, ability to take super hard certification tests, etc.) from getting certified to teach HS english, and HS english is really really sought after in my region. Guaranteed 30-40k/yr+benefits. Beats working at walmart anyway.
>>
>>7392893
>being a reactionary anti-feminist
>>
fourth year at uoft here. I'm going to say no

I mean, the pressure is good. But it costs a lot. I'm not sure you couldn't get just as much education with a library pass. Sometimes you get good teachers, but it's rare. I have benefited a lot from taking Latin courses, at least.

I'm not getting the most out of my university education, though, so take this with a grain of salt. If you get involved in clubs and use teachers' office hours and live near campus and make friends in your courses to talk to about literature . . . I don't know, I never tried any of that. I just go to classes and take four or five books out of the library per week.
>>
>>7392843
What, was this a multiple choice survey with only 5 options?
>>
File: starcucks.png (10 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
starcucks.png
10 KB, 224x225
it will give you stuff to talk about with the other starc_ucks employees
>>
>>7393599
Mr 200k starting, where have you been ?
>>
>>7392759
University of Tennessee.

>>7392781
it is bad. most teachers don't even acknowledge their ideologies' roots or teach any of their particulars, it's just built right into whatever you are learning about as the default, correct option. my world history prof. does not ask us to memorize names and dates "because that is not what history is about; all history is argument," and that is what you get. we are tested on memorization and historical application of jargon: Orientalism, Othering, Scientific Racism, Cultural Imperialism, etc.
>>
>>7392847
im pretty sure mississipi went for animal farm because they thought it is about farming.
>>
Honestly ive learned mores shitposting on image boards than i did at college.
Colleges are leftist brainwashing debt mills/ grown up day care centers
>>
File: playboy.jpg (24 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
playboy.jpg
24 KB, 400x267
>>7393604
I just graduated from college and I already make 200k starting with 6 months paid vacation.
>>
>>7393638
lmao
>>
>>7392650

Interest in studying and discussing the subject with your peers under the guidance of an expert.
>>
>>7393647
What's your job? In response to OP, I'd say so if you want to go into academia or the like
>>
>>7392650
Yes. If you care about literature. There are some fantastic English departments in research universities and liberal arts colleges. And some amazingly smart people to study with. Why did you post a picture of a Slovenian philosopher with your (unpunctuated) question?
>>
>>7392741
You're terribly ill informed. If you want to study Shakespeare or Chaucer properly, the top-ranked programs in the north-east are the place to do it. Try not to let those /pol/ memes turn you into a bitter and deluded bastard.
>>
>>7392983
This is dumb.

>>7393007
Bloom is not a reliable source. His last good book was the Anxiety of Influence. Since then, he got waylaid by the Culture Wars and published rambling, unscholarly, not-very insightful tomes. He was forced into overpublishing because of the need to pay the health bills of his heavily disabled child. I admire him for taking this step, but not recommend his books after that point and certainly not his miserable pronouncements of doom. Don't listen to his trash!
>>
Unless your parents are paying for it it's terribly irresponsible and stupid, the programs are full of people who basically just couldn't do anything else and read harry potter when they were young
>>
>>7393639
>tfw you're only at university is because you don't want a job and your parents expect it
bad feeling I've failed most of my subjects this semester too
>>
File: Harvard English major placement.jpg (101 KB, 708x734) Image search: [Google]
Harvard English major placement.jpg
101 KB, 708x734
>>7395178
This makes no sense, is empirically wrong, and shows poverty of imagination.
>>
>>7393632
>University of Tennessee
Fuck, I'm going there next fall. What should I expect?
>>
>>7395193
i am an english major at a highly esteemed public university and >>7395178 is 1000% right
>>
>>7395434

>i am one person and I Know Everything
>>
>>7395434
I disagree strongly. I'm Australian and got two excellent degrees in literature there and then another two excellent degrees in the US and I have no debt, no interest in Harry Potter, and know many people who have done amazing things with English lit. degrees. At the highest level, it's a field that attracts some of the smartest and most adventurous students. Don't go into crazy debt for it, but otherwise it's one of the best degrees you can get for training the mind and for critical thinking. Why is your university experience so bad? What's wrong with you or your department?
>>
>>7395413
football, some hipsters and SJWs, and a surprising amount of Asians. English department is OK-tier, with a few really smart professors, but many who are not.
>>
>tfw uni has a nice english w/ a focus in secondary education major and a good student teaching program

all the people in the literature track are fucking stupid. good luck getting that publishing job
>>
if you're not rich enough for your parents to pay and able to waste 4 years of your life with no consequences: no

if you are: still no

people teaching critical theory and other useless shit to humanities-minded kids who got tricked into thinking going to college was inherently worth something deserve death

it's really sickening that users of this board defend it
>>
"Academia or suicide" is my motto desu
>>
>>7395551
>everyone is american
>>
>>7395551
>it's really sickening that users of this board defend it
This, srsly. Let's not forget how fucking stupid most people still are at 18 to 20 or so, when most people are setting these decisions in stone (much less during the 2 to 6ish years before that, when the educational tracking begins). People's brains literally just still suck at long term planning at that age, and people in general are highly susceptible to peer pressure (particularly when they trust the institutions they're a part of, which a shockingly large number of college kids seem to). I'm sure we'd all like to compliment ourselves into thinking that we were making rational choices at that age, but that opinion is just self-complimentary and doesn't hold water (and this is coming from someone who got a practical education btw - I got it cause I'm risk averse and cause I was heavily influenced by my parents).

These people are basically being encouraged to fuck up one of the last period in their life where they can still have a good chance of dramatically altering their life path (it gets soooooooo much harder once you're no longer an up and coming college kid). It's fucking morally disgusting.
>>
File: 1442891214786.jpg (73 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1442891214786.jpg
73 KB, 500x500
>>7395555
check'd n' kek'd
>>
Yale dept. is still pretty good. LOL @ anyone who isn't at an Ivy undergrad
>>
>>7395598
>tfw MIT undergrad

;-; pls senpai
>>
>>7395585
you are trying to act like a nigga but that ass is 80% chance male ... not to mention lopsided. bet you found that foolish content on tumblr smdh
>>
File: npww.gif (21 KB, 111x150) Image search: [Google]
npww.gif
21 KB, 111x150
I got a free ride to undergrad, where I did a shitty liberal arts social bullshit degree

Now going to state medical school

Probably going to end up making 300-400k starting in a couple years when I finish residency.

If you are actually smart, and not just "smart but lazy" just do what I did.
>>
>>7395598
I'm at Stanford and have a few friends at MIT and a friend at CalTech. All of us were accepted to Ivy League colleges but instead chose to attend superior schools.

u mad??
>>
File: 619.jpg (41 KB, 600x763) Image search: [Google]
619.jpg
41 KB, 600x763
>>7392838
>tfw Illinois
>>
>>7393334
I like it. Also, I don't think that charts correct. Most White people read Game of Thrones and Harry Potter shite. Blacks don't read. Also, Hispanics can't read English.
>>
>>7392650
If you aren't going into significant debt, an English degree is much better than no degree.

That being said, you're going to primarily benefit from college connections and the benefits of a degree itself. Use your status as a university student to intern somewhere worthwhile.
>>
>>7395551
>deserve death
Can you expand on this idea? Why such an extreme response?

>>7395563
You know that a humanities education in fields such as English literature can lead to all sorts of wonderful places, including excellent future employment and having a broadened imagination. A degree in English literature or philosophy or similar trains the mind (the best physiological asset we have and what distinguishes us most from other creatures) and promotes critical thinking. It can be a fantastic platform for professional graduate programs (like law or business), can lead to any range of occupations where research or writing are important (like journalism, web-content production, publishing), can provide fantastic background for creative industries (like in theater or film), and can lead to great educational careers (including becoming a college professor). Some of the most prominent recent English majors are Justin Trudeau, Mitt Romney, Conan O'Brien, Clarence Thomas, Steven Spielberg, Michael Eisner, David Duchovny, Toni Morrison, James Franco, Martin Scorsese, Lena Dunham, and Jodie Foster. The list could go on for a long time. This page has some good info: http://english.gmu.edu/careers-in-english/famous-english-majors

>>7395563
Why do you think it's so irrational to choose this path of study? The world needs some practical people to build bridges and fix computers, but we need a lot more than just that.

>>7395598
The Yale English department is exceptional at the moment. They've made some very exciting new hires recently.
>>
Not unless you want a job at some fashion magazine writing about how flanell shirts smooths your soul
>>
>>7396152
He can't explain. He didn't go to college.
>>
>>7392741
This. I go to a liberal arts college in NYC to study creative writing. It's a hellhole of a good time
>>
>>7393578
No, all the black people were just referencing the genitals of their masculine brother Moby. Unfortunately, the surveyors mistook this as the title of Melville's masterpiece.
>>
>>7395647
>you're going to primarily benefit from college connections and the benefits of a degree itself. Use your status as a university student to intern somewhere worthwhile.

If I'm pretty poor right now, and never knew what it was like to owe money (purchased my car in fall, always met rent). Is it truly worth risking huge amounts of debt to try this? I'm pretty good with people and believe in my networking skills, but it feels so odd to me to go so deeply into debt on a feeble investment.
>>
>>7397980
Go to a good state school with in-state fees. Don't go in to crazy amounts of debt with your circumstances. You're not rich enough to consider paying $50,000 a year for a literature degree when you can get a great education in a state system for a fraction of that. The SUNY system is pretty decent in English literature, for example.
>>
>>7392838
lol the green smudge in NoVa.
At least they know what's actually going on in this great state...
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.