[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After reading this I don't know what to believe anymore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 220x334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 220x334
After reading this I don't know what to believe anymore
>>
I haven't got around to this. Never convenient to pick up. This book is the one I have been most interested in from Volly, try to elaborate a bit my lad.
>>
>>7391962
Excellent thread
>>
>>7392019
The book is a criticism of mans expansion of technology in relation to natures reaction of said expansion. The characters are all metaphors for this exponentially changing human race and the creations of things such as electricity and themes of industrialism. The war with nature (bugs) provides a view into the fight nature couldn't put up in the real world. Honestly after reading it I don't know whether to continue living my life or locking up in a cabin in the woods and living off the land.
>>
i want to read this and there's a cheap copy at my local second hand but i've heard i should read Europe Central first

opinions lads? Europe Central is much harder to track down where i live too
>>
>>7391962

Where can I find a copy of the first edition for not $250?
>>
>>7392139
The same place you can find women and men for less than eighty.
>>
>>7392165
A brothel?
>>
File: WalkingStick.jpg (161 KB, 1024x709) Image search: [Google]
WalkingStick.jpg
161 KB, 1024x709
Looks like an interesting read and not too old either. Interested in Europe Central as well. I'm less keen to get started on his series though.
>>
>>7392191
It was an interesting read. Quite the speculative piece in terms of its outward views. Definitely unique.
>>
>>7392219
Was it still entertaining? Unfortunately many novels that provide a solid message can be quite dru
>>
>>7392231
I would say yes. It did take a time to get used to because it's writing style and the message were quite unique but I am relatively familiar with more avant-garde books so I could get into it. I will say however that it is slow. I would still recommend reading.
>>
>>7392243
I am imagining that movie A Bug's Life mixed with a deeper environmental message along with some personification like Animal Farm. How far off am I?
>>
>>7392253
You're actually not that far off. Although the antagonist is not specified. Vollmann is obviously opposed to technological progress and the human race and I'm sure many readers will disagree. Vollmann writes in a very grisly way and a lot of his imagery is quite disturbing when it comes to describing things such as women, death, and electricity.
>>
>>7392271
Even more intrigued now. Only wish I could find a nicely priced version with the OP cover.
>>
>>7392279
My dad gave me my copy
>>
Anyone read Whores for Gloria? Is it any good?
>>
>>7392279
They have one copy in "very good" condition on thrift books for 35.
http://www.thriftbooks.com/w/you-bright-and-risen-angels_william-t-vollmann/417455/#isbn=068911852X
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.