[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>try to kill postmodernism >only make it stronger
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: davfosterwall.jpg (11 KB, 320x184) Image search: [Google]
davfosterwall.jpg
11 KB, 320x184
>try to kill postmodernism
>only make it stronger
>>
File: elastic.jpg (331 KB, 1280x694) Image search: [Google]
elastic.jpg
331 KB, 1280x694
explain?

Is this about irony vs. sincerity?
All text from him (not too many I know) kinda sound "very nice", good message, but when I know some guy was (also?) all about fucking young chicks doubt about all intentions creep up my mind I stop believing.
>>
File: Campalquote1.jpg (82 KB, 654x309) Image search: [Google]
Campalquote1.jpg
82 KB, 654x309
That's why we need Camille "no appetite for deconstruction" Paglia.
>>
>>7391785
He couldn't attain sincerity, so he anheroed. After his death he became a meme. Literally turning into the embodiment of everything he loathed. Way to get btfo
>>
>>7391785
>try to kill postmodernism

Was that ever actually his intention? Obviously he predicted the rise of a movement that embodied the new sincerity ethos, but I'm sure he said that it would run parallel to all the meta ironic twonk.
>>
>>7391785
lol what a loser
>>
>>7391842
what movement was that? new sincerity seems so unimportant, like a forced movement. the most important writers working today were publishing before and after his death. not saying Franzen and Wallace aren't good writers, they just aren't great. They'll probably end up in a lesser literary canon like Trollope or Malcolm Lowry.
>>
>>7391825
lol i think this isn't nessisarily what happened in the broader historical context but as of this current moment in time yeah pretty much he got meme'd.

but in the end, don't we all?
>>
>>7391857
Yeah I don't see it either, but then I don't read much contemporary stuff.

>new sincerity seems so unimportant, like a forced movement.
>new sincerity
>forced
>sincerity
>force

I think he was referring to a spontaneous, if contrarian, movement.
>>
>>7391785

He was more trying to change it than destroy it.
>>
>try to kill Pomo, the greatest weapon of the cultural Marxists
>Mossad and CIA come and fuck your shit up and make it look like a suicide
>>
File: relevant.gif (916 KB, 490x367) Image search: [Google]
relevant.gif
916 KB, 490x367
>>7393435
>>
>>7391857
Don't talk shit about Lowry you fucking piece of trash.
>>
>new sincerity vs irony

can someone explain to me how sincerity and irony are in conflict? Irony is perfectly sincere; a full sincerity must include irony. If you mean sincerity against pride and sarcasm, I can understand that. Sincere broad-minded humanity versus elitist eye-rolling is maybe a real struggle. But it is the former which has a sense of irony.

I think the movement's name implies, from the outset, a total misunderstanding of what postmodernism meant. It may have degenerated into snobbishness and aestheticism with no moral or human grounding—any movement in the arts may so decline. But the mere "I'm too smart to believe in anything or take anything seriously" posturing is not the soul of postmodernism or any movement.

And, of course, "new sincerity", like any artistic movement, is really a reaction against the callousness of OUR time.
>>
>>7393467
>can someone explain to me how sincerity and irony are in conflict?

no because you understand it and are disingenuously pretending not to
>>
>>7391808
yes! you're right! we need to get back to the time when everything was great and no one had a care in the world! god bless western academia! oh how i miss you! you never hurt a soul! you gave us everything including our lives! please come back western academia save us from ourselves!
>>
>>7393474
I honestly don't. I'm not a philosopher. My understanding is that "irony" is being taken to mean sarcasm and detachment. I want to know—does this describe the PoMos? Or am I mistaken about what is being meant by irony? Maybe new sincerity can really be a response to the soft and conscious irony which has always been a staple of poetry, and I just don't see how. Maybe irony itself was prized above its worth in the last century, and the new literature wants to call things like they is? I just feel that I've misunderstood something.
>>
>>7393467
false dichotomy you memer
>>
File: 1437220307786s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1437220307786s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>7391785
>try to make a movie about a man
>turn him into a mr potato with down syndrome
>>
File: Shhh.jpg (160 KB, 322x589) Image search: [Google]
Shhh.jpg
160 KB, 322x589
>>7393435
>>
>>7393716
This. He looked fucking retarded in the movie.
>>
>>7393716
crying
>>
>>7391797
how is that a bad thing exactly?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.