[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have Fiction books significantly changed your mindset/lifestyle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1442152048465.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1357) Image search: [Google]
1442152048465.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1357
Have Fiction books significantly changed your mindset/lifestyle? If so, which ones and why?

Is there even a reason to read fiction besides killing time? For example, how would a book like Moby Dick change you when it's about whaling(which you most likely don't participate in.)?
>>
>>7391466
Hey, that's my neighborhood. Strange seeing that on here.
>>
>>7391466
DEJA VU
>>
>>7391466
>Have Fiction books significantly changed your mindset/lifestyle?
No.
>>
>>7391466
If you're trying to convince people to stop reading fiction, go away. If you aren't, I don't know what the point of your post is, so go away.
>>
>>7391499
Where is that? I've only seen it before on r/raining
>>
File: tumblr_n2cuyp5pGM1sokt9jo1_1280.jpg (453 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2cuyp5pGM1sokt9jo1_1280.jpg
453 KB, 800x1200
>>7391466
After reading a novel you will never again be a person who hasn't read that particular novel, this is at the very least a subtle change in the way you interpret the world, your frame of reference and the possibilities of your imagination.
Your behavior may not change in the tangible way you are looking for but your purely subjective position is tilted and this may not be recognizable without close examination.
Being able to recall what it was like to be you before reading Moby Dick is difficult without relying on correlating contingencies of your empirical self.

Please post more comfy pictures like that one.
>>
Yes, catch 22 taught me how to step back and enjoy the novelty of incompetence and bureaucracy. It's contributed greatly to my overall quality of life.
>>
Do people actually believe that you're not allowed to read for entertainment or is it just a /lit/ meme?
>>
File: 1442151950152.jpg (510 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1442151950152.jpg
510 KB, 1920x1080
>>7391647
here you go anon

>>7391638
Not everyone is out to get you and belittle your interests. It's a benign question.
>>
>>7391661
Of course you can read for entertainment, the question is if there's something more that you can take away than mere pleasure.
>>
>>7391666
Thanks for the picture. I wish you would have commented on my answer to your question though.
>>
>>7391672
well that's a fucking stupid question. all fiction is derived, in some way, from reality. of course there's something to be taken away from entertainment. why else would art college faggots discuss famous fiction for centuries on end? literature is generally not the kind of entertainment that has no actual purpose beyond itself (most tv shows and video games)
>>
>>7391705
By 'change', I do mean tangible effects that impact your day-to-day life.

The minuscule change that actually occurs, that you can't really detect, may as well be nothing, you might as well be reading for just entertainment.
>>
>>7391647
Couldn't the same be said for staring at a wall for two hours?
>>
>>7391732
But the subjective position is the only one that you have, what is a change in day to day life worth to you besides a dramatic change in perspective? There is in fact no other mode of change directly available to you.
>>7391743
Unless novelty is valued in any way, sure.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.