[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are we allowed to have a thread for questions that don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: qtddtot.jpg (38 KB, 323x396) Image search: [Google]
qtddtot.jpg
38 KB, 323x396
Are we allowed to have a thread for questions that don't deserve their own thread?

What word processor or text editor do you guys use?
>>
microsoft word
>>
What is the Evangelion of literature?
>>
Currently deciding what college I will go to and I know I will go in undecided, but my question is there anything to do beyond trying as many new things as possible to figure out what I will do with my life or just put my head down and try to grind for a job that can pay well and hope for the best? Essentially, should I try to work a probably unfulfilling job and try to read books on the side (I personally don't think that would happen) or go into a field related to philosophy or literature and ride the struggle bus for the rest of my life? I don't see any market or job upswing.
>>
>>7391085
I've actually been fucking w/ Windows Notepad pretty hard lately. I love how it's just me and the words, no bullshit surrounding it, no red squiggly lines underneath my words, no autocorrect, no automatic capitalization. It just feels like a typewriter without the inconvenience of a typewriter.

(Only thing that scares me is that accidentally deleting all of it would mean all is lost forever, no autosave and ctrl-z only undoes the very last action you did... but that just means saving copying your file every once in a while)
>>
>>7391467

Problem I have with notepad is formatting. I like my first lines of each paragraph indented, for example.
>>
>>7391267
Bro, stem, nuff said. Pursue lit and Phil in your free time
>>
>>7391532
I think notepad works as a good, raw word processor that you can quickly get your ideas and jottings down in without the bullshit of a full featured processor like word. You can always open the .txt file or copy/paste in word later and format as you please
>>
>>7391267
Depends on if you like teaching or editing. You'll find a job in either relatively easily. Teaching English is stressful and time consuming but can be rewarding.

You won't be rich but you can own a house and maybe raise 1-2 kids without being destitute.
>>
I recently installed scrivener because I wanted to be able to move passages in my novella around without having to copy and paste everything like a madman. I like it. It's also great being able to reference things like theme and character profiles etc. at a glance.
>>
>>7391267
Pursue whatever interests you the most. Financial security is great, yes, but at what cost? I personally think that time is a far, far, far more valuable commodity than money. But then I'm not a particularly sociable person and have hobbies that don't require much expense to pursue.

I just feel like, in the end, you're going to regret not spending time doing what you love and achieving things related to that, more than not having a nice home or whatever.
>>
I use vi. Continue circlejerking about your "minimalistic, distraction-free writing environments", though. Whatever helps you avoid actually thinking about what to write.
>>
>>7391267
College freshman here. I just went through the same exact situation that you're asking about. I was on track for chemical engineering, am doing well in my STEM classes, but I feel no passion for anything STEM related. I said to myself "screw it, life is too short to wake up every morning & not enjoy what you do." & now I'm on track to double major in English & philosophy, or English & classical studies. Follow your heart, you'll find a way to make $ if you're passionate about what you are doing.
>>
File: David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg (2 MB, 1788x1175) Image search: [Google]
David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg
2 MB, 1788x1175
What is the point of writing something without a conceptual/deeper meaning?
>>
>>7391556
>notepad
>word processor
Oh lord.

>>7391787
>I use vi
Is there actually a reason to use vi and not vim?
>>
>>7393677
that is a big question, I am not sure it is possible to write something without deeper meaning. it seems bound to end up in whatever you are writing, by virtue of thought and the way thoughts work.

besides, something "meaningless" might be refreshing at this point, what with the flood of ideologically charged fiction being published, where the author's political/sociological beliefs are clear in every page.
>>
>>7393703
it's impossibly to make something truly meaningless because of the pervasiveness of ideology and any given works historicity

you can't help but mean
>>
I use google docs for small things and writing and editing.
I use LaTeX for formatting, citations, etc. master race
>>
>>7391085
emacs and latex, and I'm not talking about STEM stuff where latex is completely indispensable

Latex has the beautiful property that you can separate content and presentation without too much hassle, which is also the reason why Word and similar stuff.
>>
>>7393804
...why *I dislike* Word...

I write bad.
>>
>>7391085
Are some editions of books shit and some good? How do I generally go about choosing which one to get, I've been told to avoid penguin before.
>>
>>7393822
It largely depends on the notations or translation that the publisher offers. Penguin's notations are infamously bad, hence why people say stay away but it's just a meme if you're getting a native book you don't need notations for.

Look up and ask people about which translation is best, typically Oxford or Cambridge annotated editions of texts are superior but they come at a premium
>>
I've got my Oxford interview in 11 days and 4 books still left to read. How do I efficiently and quickly read and comprehend them? Do I just allocate a large amount of time for them or would skimming and extracting some key points be best?

(3 are pleb tier economics, the last is anything by Nietzsche)
>>
>>7393848
Which of Nietzsche's works have you decided upon?
>>
>>7393853
I was thinking of starting on Beyond Good and Evil, I'm vaguely familiar with Thus Spoke and don't want to do the cliche>>7393853
>>
To learn about Descartes's philosophy in an easy way, should I just get his books? Or are there good articles/books about him that summarize his philosophy well enough?
>>
>>7391214
War and Peace

Not even memeing desu
>>
This is more like a "questions that don't deserve to be in any thread" thread.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.