[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many languages do you read, /lit/? EOPs need not apply.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 465x390) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 465x390
How many languages do you read, /lit/? EOPs need not apply.

Me:

English - fluent, read classical literature

French - fluent, read classical literature

Japanese - intermediate, can read manga and short stories without too much trouble
>>
I'm fluent in English, French and German and I've been working on Japanese for a couple of years, now. I also went through a lot of Latin but it isn't much relevant. What do you mean by “French classical literature”?
>>
fluent in portuguese and english. I can read russian but only at a snail's pace.
>>
english
>>
Dutch, English and Italian. Could probably read easy French stuff, but I just read translations in that case.
>>
English, and just enough German to read Mein Kampf
>>
English and German
Going to expand to the rest of the germanic family first, because that's easiest.
Then Spanish and it's family.
Then French.

Then Russian and Japanese.
Hopefully.
>>
tfw learning french but nobody to speak/practice it with

although i recently downloaded french dubs of all the transformers film so you could say it's going to be a pretty good week
>>
English

Modern Chinese ,classical chinese
>>
File: 1447904023048.png (319 KB, 534x388) Image search: [Google]
1447904023048.png
319 KB, 534x388
English, Spanish, Basque and Portuguese and im 22.

Get on my level amerikeks
>>
>>7391462
>having to learn everyone else's languages because your shit country couldn't become globally relevant
>>
>>7390888
English, fluent
Spanish, native
German, can ask where is the bathroom
>>
>>7391485
>reading translations
>>>/r/books
>>>/int/
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7391462
So you speak two languages? Big whoop.
>>
>>7391462
>Spanish
>Portuguese
>Basque

Shit, you can read the pinacle of world literature, now.
>>
>>7391498

kek
>>
>>7390888
English and German. Was brought up with both of these languages and lack the capacity to lean any more.
>>
I read English perfectly fine, and French with maybe a dictionary use every now and then, within a few months I should be a strong reader. Can't really listen or speak french, I can write it though. Partially because I have a tin ear for language, even my own, grew up with speech disorders, etc...

I'm working on Latin and Italian (mostly to read Dante and Cavalcanti), a little Old Provencal (which having some Latin and a lot of French makes not too hard to read the Troubadours.) I started on Classical Chinese but had to stop because it was just too much for now, though this winter break I might take it up for an hour or two a day again, as a small hobby.

Really, learning French is making Latin not too hard, and Italian a bit too easy. Old Provencal just reads like Francanized (?) Latin, the pronunciation seems a bit between Latin and Spanish (makes sense I suppose.)

I'd love to learn at least these, as well as Homeric/Attic/Koine Greek, German, and maybe something else fun like Georgian or Welsh before I hit 30, by when I'll be an even worse language learner. Maybe Hebrew or Persian. I'm really only interested in poetry.
>>
english - native level

french - can read up to moliere

spanish - native level

ancient greek - can read euripides and the easier plato dialogues
>>
>>7390888
>Spanish - master race
>English - fluent, read classical literature
>French - fluent, read classical literature
>Portuguese - more or less, but meh
>>
>>7392210
What do you mean by “strong reader”?
>>
I have a few of years of spanish under my belt. And could probably learn it if I tried.

Is it worth it or should I do french instead?
>>
>>7391506
underrated post
>>
>>7392845
I do think French is a much more interesting choice due to its literature's breadth and consistence through time, which spawned major European figures both in every century from the sixteenth to the twenty-first ones and in almost every genre (poetry, prose, philosophy, theatre, essay and so on) and few languages actually show this regularity but since you already worked on it for a couple of years, it wouldn't be too foolish to delay French learning for a second.
>>
>>7390888
Dutch, English and German fluently, French and Latin with a certain difficulty, depending on the text. Classical Greek really rusty, barely at all anymore. Simple texts in Spanish and Italian, but also not really worth mentioning.
>>
>>7391498
lol
>>
Amerikek.

English fluently, of course
French with very little dictionary use, can read Hugo without much difficulty
Learning Dutch to get more in touch with my heritage (grandparents are first gen immigrants) but don't know much yet. Ugly language imo
Just beginning Russian as well, it's been tough going
>>
Russian - my first language
Lithuanian - second language, most of my friends from back home are Lithuanian
English - fluent, taught English in Vietnam for a year
French - fluent, studying medicine in Paris
German - can watch tv in german, when reading need to translate quite a few words
>>
>>7393987

>ugly language imo

not ugly, people made it ugly. It is a really nice language for expressing love.
>>
>>7393987

If your Dutch is getting anywhere I would recommend Joost Zwagerman's poems ('de ziekte die heet jij'). Not tough to swallow but very elegant.

Also the Dutch that is mostly being represented in media language and spoken tongue is just plain embarrasing. But take the Haarlem dialect and it suddenly has more elegancy.
>>
>>7390888
That's a nice turtleneck. Where 2 cop?
>>
Fluent in English
>>
>I speak english, enspanol et francais! XDD!!

what the fuck is the point of this thread? to pat yourselves on the back?
>>
>>7394040
make plebs feel bad about being monolingual ofc
>>
>>7393987
Dutch is beautiful when you read the right stuff. Especially the pre-war literature is often beautifully and fluently written. Bordewijk is my favourite.
>>
>>7392226

well,

>>7392210
>with maybe a dictionary use every now and then

I can read literature, but have trouble with a bit of Flaubert and most of Proust. I can read most poets, no Mallarme, though. I can read wikipedia/newspapers/etc. at english speeds.
>>
>>7394039
>>7394040
Monolingual plebeians should leave this board.
>>
>>7394521
Basic Latin and Greek should be a pre-requisite to browse /lit/. Just accessing /lit/ should require you to pass a portal where you are asked multiple questions in both languages.
>>
>>7394534
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>7394534
I agree.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.