[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know, doesn't EVERY story technically begin in medias res?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: my life at the moment.jpg (107 KB, 800x595) Image search: [Google]
my life at the moment.jpg
107 KB, 800x595
You know, doesn't EVERY story technically begin in medias res?
>>
not in any way that preserves the term having any meaning at all, no.
>>
>>7390133
>Genesis
>>
>>7390144
this
>>7390133
fedora.jpg
>>
>>7390133

Consider the bible.
>>
>>7390151
>>7390157

>Genesis 1:1
>בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ

Nope

Fucking starts with God already existing
>>
>>7390144

Perhaps we should simply come to terms with the subjective standard that it forces upon us by requiring us to define "meaningful action" for us to begin in.

It makes it so that in medias res is defined by the reader, not the author.
>>
>>7390133
what does being technical matter?
>>
>>7390172

You'd rather we went through life lobbing hand grenades and playing horseshoe?
>>
>>7390162
>implying God as a subject not started existing only after he separated himself out of a objective nature
>implying he wasn't just a pure abstract void before
>>
>>7390235

The fact that he's identified as the creator within the very first sentence means the splitting of God and Not-God had already taken place before the narration starts.
>>
>>7390203
It'd sure be a lot more interesting watching city life go by from behind my window.
>>
>>7390162
It also starts with the world existing technically, and 'the waters'
>>
>>7390250
True that, but the split never is truly concluded, so we then after that can have story and so on; this separation is always being made and unmade in progression.

I personally think the Genesis story can't be in media res because you can't point out a 'beginning' even more conceptual and abstract than this most principal relation of Subject (God) and Object (Nature), unless of course if we enter the fields of metaphysics and philosophy in general, but then it stops being a 'story'.
>>
>>7390133
You know, doesn't EVERY story technically follow the exact same plot of start then finish?
>>
>>7390250
>2015
>Not Spinozian pantheism
topkek
>>
>>7391397

Not this year and not any year, Jew!
>>
>>7390133
Finnegans Wake is a circle and thus has no beginning nor end and therefore was not writ en media res
Suck my dick
>>
>>7390162
God precedes existence.
>>
>>7390133
of course not, are you retarded OP?
>>
>>7392237

>Finnegans Wake is a circle

How's that thousand level lit class going? You pass your finals?
>>
>>7392241

So God does not possess the quality of "existence"?
>>
>>7392237
>Finnegans Wake is a circle

That means no matter what page you open the book to, even if you start on page one, you're starting in medias res.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.