[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think about GEB?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: geb.jpg (16 KB, 287x331) Image search: [Google]
geb.jpg
16 KB, 287x331
What does /lit/ think about GEB?
>>
Dunno; never read it. Anyone have an ePub of it? All I can find are PDFs.
>>
I find it boring without much point other than just 'ooh look at this loop/paradox, cool amirite?'

Just rambles about those 3 guys plus alan turing. Might as well just read their biographies
>>
do you really think any of the pseudo on /lit/ are capable of understanding its contents?
>>
its basically a fluffed up 1000 page explanation of godel's incompleteness theorems.
i enjoyed it
>>
>>7389147
It's pretty cozy.
Sometimes it feels like he avoids spelling theoretical things out for you when that would have been more appropriate than metaphors, which was annoying to me.
>>7389168
Too many pictures for an epub most likely.
>>7389394
Pretty much.
>>
File: pepedemontesqieu.jpg (59 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
pepedemontesqieu.jpg
59 KB, 480x360
>>7389394
>>7389386
>>7389172
>>7389168

learn emacs and understand macros/human-computer interaction

then understand the "read eval print" mechanism of lisp and recursive programming

then get a webcam on a long usb cable and record the live feed back into itself, adjusting the parameters until you get trippy graphics, tinker for infinite complexity

happy hacking
>>
>>7389412
Dude loops lmao
>>
>>7389416

dude philosophy linguistics and physics lmao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_return
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursion#In_language
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_quantum_gravity
>>
>>7389386
Do you think any psuedo /sci/fag is capable either?

I gave this book to my scientist father for his birthday thinking he'd like it, and he hasn't read a single page.
>>
>>7389147
It's extremely stupid on multiple levels. The harmless stupidity is when he claims that a fugue is self-referential in the same way that an Escher-painting is self-referential (musical notes simply don't have a referential function in this way. The most you can do in terms of mimesis is 'this flute part sounds like a bird', or 'if you know that this piece is named for a river, it kinda sounds like one (very vaguely)'. Music simply doesn't work like that).

The more important stupidity is that he thinks strange loops are consciousness and thus a mathematical system which includes a strange loops is a consciousness. That is retarded both in relation to consciousness and in relation to the level on which symbolic concepts 'exist'.
>>
>>7389168
There isn't one yet, the guy spent so much time on the lateX formatting he doesn't like the idea.
>>
>>7389427
A few could with serious effort. Though most /sci/fags could not since a good chunk of that board is people baiting for homework answers.
>>
It's the epitome of pop-sci, all style, no substance, and a bullshit pet theory snuck in among established theories. It's sad that people like >>7389427 think that concepts like regular languages, limits, Turing completeness and Gödel's incompleteness theorem are hard because they are badly explained using metaphors that make no sense.
>>
passive-aggressive attempt at appropriating Godel for nefarious materialist ends
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.