[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. It's been a year or so since I've posted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: calvino.jpg (15 KB, 321x499) Image search: [Google]
calvino.jpg
15 KB, 321x499
Hey /lit/. It's been a year or so since I've posted here, but I come to you needing opinions.

I've been asked by the university I teach at to present a short, half semester workshop on postmodern literature. I've only been working here for a couple of years so this is something I need to do well. This is my first open-ended teaching experience.

I've got to select and teach 4 books, one a week. I've chosen so far On A Winters Night a Traveler, Times Arrow, and crying of lot 49.

I need one more.

What do you guys think I should choose? And of my current list? I'm not a huge Pynchon fan personally but I feel Lot 49 is probably a necessary book for an undergrad seeing this stuff potentially for the first time.

I need to finalize all of this by December 3rd so the information can be processed and posted for students signing up.
>>
>>7388810
Of Grammatology
>>
The Cannibal by John Hawkes
>>
>>7388818
This is a great selection if the class was allowed more content, but I feel I need to throw them into applied concepts a little more. I selected Lot 49 and Times Arrow because they should be able to genuinely enjoy them, and I selected If On A Winters Night because I hope it will challenge and intrigue them, but I feel Of Grammatology is a little too philosophical to fill any logical role alongside these. To phrase it differently, I worry Of Grammatology may be too far in the direction of theory rather than application. I'm going to do on/off lecturing and cover as many general topics as I can while also having days dedicated to the books, and I certainly plan to weave other books and their ideas into the general days, but I can't justify having that one be one of the four books they actually read and have to write on.
>>
>Self Portrait in a Convex Mirror
or
>Some Trees
both by John Ashbery
>>
>>7388841
I haven't read this one. Care to discuss why you feel it belongs on a list of the first four postmodern books some of these students will read?

I've seen it mentioned among the first influences/applications of postmodern ideas, so I'm aware it has that relevance, but does it hold up as a presentation of still-relevant postmodern ideas being applied?

I'm going to order and read it either way just in case it strikes me as a good fit for part of my lectures, but I'm curious to hear why it was the first and only thing that came to mind for you.
>>
>>7388858
>Self Portrait in a Convex Mirror
I actually have this poem on the list of short stories/poems I wish to cover in the introductory week. On point. Any ideas for novels?
>>
>>7388865
no, sorry. i teach poetry to high school students and the extent of my knowledge of postmodern literature beyond verse wouldn't make for a good syllabus
>>
>>7388876
Thanks anyway.
>>
Just bumping this while I get my morning tea. I'll check back in much later in the day if anyone has ideas. Thanks for the posts so far.
>>
Breakfast of Champions is a good example of postmodern literature and it's very easy. Maybe By Night in Chile by Roberto Bolano.
>>
I'd personally go with Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich, Ubik or Book of the New Sun as examples of less standard/evolved postmodernist literature.
Distorted perception, all over the place plot, strangeness, unreliable narrator.
>>
>>7388810
Maybe some later Ballard?
>>
>>7389665
Also maybe 2666.
>>
House of Leaves
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.