[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite /lit/ conspiracy/conjecture? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: Shakes0_2887948b.jpg (117 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
Shakes0_2887948b.jpg
117 KB, 620x388
What's your favorite /lit/ conspiracy/conjecture?

I've always liked the theory that Shakespeare was Catholic. It feels appropriate.
>>
>>7388719

your favorite conspiracy is shakespeare related and it isn't even about marlowe? boring choice 2bh
>>
antony and cleopatra had a happy ending
>>
The animals in Animal Farm by george Orwell are symbolic of communism
>>
That Sappho was a dyke
>>
salinger and pynchon are the same person desu
>>
>>7388731
Which sociopolitical group did it villify?
>>
>>7388745
This isn't a conspiracy, it's almost face. She lived in Lesbos, and wrote love poems about supposed females.
>>
>>7388801
>She lived in Lesbos
How does that imply anything? Lesbians are named after Lesbos because people think that Sappho liked women, not because being born there automatically makes you attracted to women.
>>
>>7388801
Get redpilled.
>>
>>7388719
Pynchon the sailor wrote everything ascribed to Gaddis.
>>
>>7388719
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7bCke4LyKs
>>
>>7389233
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
>>
>>7389249
Sorry, anon. I just wanted to watch the video avoiding account logging 'cos I don't own an account. I'll delete it after watching it, or not.
>>
>>7388801
Watch this, have your opinion changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBU3KrT1WBQ
>>
>>7388745
>>7388801
>>7388808
>>7389214
>>7389258
I hope you guys realize that you can quite literally read every single source by and about Sappho that exists in about half an hour. And that almost every single one of these sources is highly sparse, disjointed and fragmentary, with only a single intact poem to her name.
>>
>>7389263
Yes, the documentary had you sat and watched it first would have told you that information is sparse, however its what scholars do with that information by using it in the context of the times and the vast body of contemporary writing we still have from the period, that is what is relevant. You have no idea how long i have been studying classical history or indeed anyone else so why not post in a more constructive way instead of," I know more than you guys and you guys are stupid for being not being me." I posted the documentary because it is a good round up and explains a lot of the background of what is meant by her words, and the4 documentary is not lowest common denominator US tv style but a very good serious programme for educated adults.

By the way, its 26 years since i started my first classics course.
>>
>>7388781
communism, it's not a conspiracy, it's a fact
>>
>>7388719
Jesus was actually a mushroom (John Allegro's The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross). I like to combine that one with Terence McKenna's idea that mushrooms represent an alien form of intelligence. Then Jesus is both an alien and a mushroom.
>>
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
>>7388719
Holden killed James Castle.
>>
>>7388719
Bacon did it.
>>
John Shade didn't exist (he was a shade)
>>
>I've always liked the conspiracy theory that Shakespeare was Catholic.
I like the conspiracy theory that Ayn Rand had a mole on her left shoulder.
>>
>>7389939
that's too extreme man
>>
File: 7kyVWge.png (121 KB, 400x283) Image search: [Google]
7kyVWge.png
121 KB, 400x283
>>7390933
Castle was Holden's friend. Who was the only witness to his suicide? It's all there in the book. Not even kidding.

I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. —Holden Fucking Caulfield (First words of Ch. 3)
>>
>>7388746
You mean Gaddis and Pynchon.
>>
The Soviet Union killed Camus.
>>
>>7391435
Salinger and Pynchon pretend to be one another.
>>
>>7391435
They aren't the same people. Pynchon writes some books in Gaddis' name and Gaddis takes the fame.
>>
>>7388801
That feel when in four courses of Latin in college, made up exclusively of Honors program students, and we translated a pile of Sappho poems reworked into Latin... every time we would collectively giggle at the mention of Lesbos every time. No regrets.
>>
>>7391447
Gaddis is so much better than Pynchon i'd be inclined to believe the reverse was true, that Gaddis called on Pynchon when he wanted to publish something a bit pulpy, a bit abstruse, a bit self-indulgent. pity Gaddis died first :(
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.