[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are these books considered good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: 155712.jpg (45 KB, 1169x850) Image search: [Google]
155712.jpg
45 KB, 1169x850
Why are these books considered good?
>>
they aren't
>>
dunno really, I thought the Hobbit was fine as a childrens book, could never get too much into the lotr books though
>>
>>7387563
Considered to be one of the first massive fantasy world worlds to be created by a writer.

Not even remotely the first though, religion came first.
>>
It's an enjoyable story about little people overcoming huge adversity set in an incredibly richly imagined and detailed fantasy world that's satisfying to read about
It's broad and mythic and packed with appealing characters
>>
Why don't you say why you think they are bad?

>inb4 prose
Try again.
>>
>>7387602
He doesn't write about thin smoking young men who are disatisfied with a society that does not provide them with girlfriends.
>>
File: FatFedoraFuck.png (230 KB, 395x352) Image search: [Google]
FatFedoraFuck.png
230 KB, 395x352
>>7387587
>Not even remotely the first though, religion came first.
This was indulgently fedora
>>
>>7387615
He does write about fat, smoking, young men who are dissatisfied with a society that does not take a stand against the Isengard war machine
>>
>>7387615
Not everyone can be Elliot Rodger
>>
>>7387563
A lot of symbolism, a gripping story, very specific style, attention to detail.
>>
>>7387621
It was also an obvious joke.
>FatFedoraFuck.png
Subtle.
>>
>>7387585
Let's ignore the fact that LoTR came first, and is a major inspiration of almost EVERY fantasy series after it.

Do you know the shit JR Tolkien did to make Lord of the Rings? He made THE ELVISH FUCKING LANGUAGE

A NUANCED LANGUAGE

WITH FUCKING PARTIAL IMPERFECT TENSE

A GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT, COHERENT LANGUAGE

AND ON THE BASIS OF THAT LANGUAGE, AND SEVERAL OTHER FUCKING LANGUAGES, HE MADE THE HOBBIT

YES

HE WROTE THE LANGUAGE BEFORE THE FUCKING STORY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_constructed_by_J._R._R._Tolkien

BEFORE THE FUCKING PREQUEL STORY TO THE LORD OF THE RINGS, HE WROTE A LANGUAGE

HE WROTE A FUCKING GIGANTIC BACKSTORY, TOO

WITH GODS, AND DEMONS, AND ANGELS, AND SHIT THAT MAKES THE THEOGENY LOOK LIKE AMATEUR HOUR

AND ONLY THEN

ONLY AFTER CREATING SEVERAL FUCKING LANGUAGES

DID HE WRITE THE PREQUEL

YES

THE FUCKING PREQUEL

TO THE LORD OF THE RINGS

AND HERE YOU ARE

YOU FILTHY, FUCKING PLEBIAN

TRYING TO TELL ME THAT TENZIN INFO DUMPING A CORNY COMIC BOOK VILLAIN BACKSTORY

IS THE SAME CALIBER OF WRITING

AS THE MAN

WHO MADE

SEVERAL

FUCKING

LANGUAGES

KILL YOURSELF

SERIOUSLY

KILL YOUR FUCKING SELF

SOMEONE PUTS EFFORT INTO SOMETHING AND CREATES A MASTERPIECE, AND YOU SEE IT THE SAME AS THE SHIT A 9-5ER SPEWED OUT IN A WRITER'S ROOM
>>
>>7387621
I ofteb wonder what's it like actually being that dude.
>>
>>7387670
It doesnt make the writting any less shit tho.
>>
>>7387670
Chill man
>>
>>7387670
Please tone down the reddit. This is eye bane.

>>7387673
Apparently he is an actor that has had one or two notable roles in the past. Most recently he was in some weird music video where he dines on chicken wings.
>>
>>7387563
They were written decades ago.

That is all you need to be well liked on /lit/.

Anything new is considered bad, any old tome is considered good.
>>
>>7387691
>>7387694
>>7387704
It's a pasta newfags
>>
>>7387704
Explain Infinite Jest then. Hell, even most Pinecone stuff is relatively recent.
>>
>>7387707
>search on Warosu
>it has been posted once before, two weeks ago
Fuck off
>>
>>7387719
>newfag
It was posted twice before on /lit/. I think it came from /tg/ or /co/
>>
>>7387727
>It was posted twice before on /lit/
Search on Warosu yourself if you don't believe me. Only time it was ever posted before this was a small thread on Nov 9th

No results on the 4plebs /tg/ archive or google, so if it does have a foreign origin, it is lost somewhere on /co/
>>
>>7387673
Like this (>>7387670).
>>
>>7387755
https://warosu.org/lit/?task=search&ghost=yes&search_text=AND+ON+THE+BASIS+OF+THAT+LANGUAGE%2C+AND+SEVERAL+OTHER+FUCKING+LANGUAGES%2C+HE+MADE+THE+HOBBIT

If you're called out on being a newfag at least get your facts straight.
>>
>>7387563
because they are
>>
>>7387563
It depends on what you are looking for.
In the Introduction to Phantastes by George Macdonald, CS Lewis talks about the distinction between a good writer and a good myth maker or story teller.
You might not necessarily consider Tolkien a super good writer in the same way that you wouldn't necessarily think of a historian as a good writer, but that doesn't make his myths bad. He was a brilliant and nearly unparalleled myth creator. If I read Tokiens myths written by a different author I would probably still like it just as much. Its the same idea with Greek Mythology.
>>
Where can I buy the set in that image? Been looking for copies that don't have ''now a major motion picture" plastered all over them
>>
Lord of the Rings is universally liked because it's an entertaining and well-written story on the classic theme of good defeating evil, regular people overcoming overwhelming adversity, and small people changing the world. It's enthralling and captivating and the only reason you wouldn't like it is if you were some kind of fedora-tipping "patrician" who hates things for no reason other than the fact that they're popular and other people like them.
>>
Nostalgia

Also anyone know about the edition of the hobbit with artwork by Peter Sis on it?
>>
>>7387563

Why is it not in order?
>>
>>7388001
Not quite. These faggots hate it not specifically for that reason, it doesn't live up to their standards of prose and they fear it influencing them. That's why they hate it. They care more about how something is said than what was actually said. They're writers. Overly concerned with being heard (published) and not hearing (reading).
That's why it's so easy to accuse them all of being autists.
>>
>>7388020
My money is still on hating popular things. I wouldn't put it past a 20 year old kid on 4chan to be more concerned with prose than with being a contrarian.
>>
>>7388025
Fair enough. I just can't wrap my head around trolling or contrarians. It's a useless way to be a person to just intentionally be a stain on every encounter with every person.
>>
>>7387670
Wow

>>>/reddit/

Jesus fuck that was embarrassing just to read. The caps were entirely unnecessary, and your use of the word "fuck" sounds like a 13 year old who just discovered the word. All of your line breaks are really annoying and unnecessary too.
>>
>>7387673
The funny thing is that guy isn't actually an atheist.
>>
>>7387954
afaik it's the 75th anniversary edition
>>
>>7388088
>not having 50 year editions of both The Hobbit and LOTR.

Thanks dad.
>>
>>7388078
Christfags can be fedora's too.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.