[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rand's Prose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: ayn-rand-199x300.jpg (21 KB, 199x300) Image search: [Google]
ayn-rand-199x300.jpg
21 KB, 199x300
Philosophical differences aside, why do people dislike Ayn Rand's prose?

I ask this question because I enjoyed reading her books (even with their sometimes overwhelming length) and found her prose somewhat entertaining? The way I'd describe it is that it kinda feels like pic related: Old-fashioned and bold as fuck
>>
>>7387491
>I enjoyed reading her books
Me too, but you can't say that here.

Her philosophy is childish and retarded, but I enjoy her epic-poem like style of prose. Every one of her characters is either a complete hero or a complete villain.
>>
Her prose is actually totally fine, she writes action fairly well and cleanly. Her characterization, though, is moronic (all characters are either saints or devils).
>>
File: images.jpg (27 KB, 439x335) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
27 KB, 439x335
I agree OP.
>>
Her prose isn't "bad", per se, it's just really cringe inducing

>What is man? He's just a collection of chemicals with delusions of grandeur.

>To say 'I love you' one must first know how to say the "I."

>There's nothing of any importance in life - except how well you do your work. Nothing. Only that. Whatever else you are, will come from that. It's the only measure of human value.

>We are born into this world unarmed - our mind is our only weapon.

>He never felt lonliness except when he was happy.

>I feel that others live up to me, if they want me.

>She's a writer. The kind of writer who wouldn't be published outside. She believes that when one deals with words, one deals with the mind.

>Did I feel a physical desire for him? I did. Was I moved by a passion of my body? I was. Have I experienced the most violent form of sensual pleasure? I have.

>Money is so noble a medium that does not compete with guns and it does not make terms with brutality. It will not permit a country to survive as half-property, half-loot

>Through the dry phases of calculations in her mind, she noticed that she did have time to feel something: it was the hard, exhilarating pleasure of action.

>Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it.

>She was fifteen when it occurred to her for the first time that women did not run railroads and that people might object. To hell with that, she thought- and never worried about it again.

>It is a policeman’s duty to retrieve stolen property and return it to its owners. But when robbery becomes the purpose of the law, and the policeman’s duty becomes, not protection, but the plunder of property - then it is an outlaw who has to become a policeman.

>When I die, I hope to go to heaven-- whatever the hell that is-- and I want to be able to afford the price of admission
>>
>>7387889
>What is man? He's just a collection of chemicals with delusions of grandeur.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTizJemHO8

These are terrible.
>>
>>7387623
I wouldn't completely denounce her philosophy. On the exitentialist front maybe as there are a lot of ambiguities, but her economic beliefs are relatively respectable.
>>
>>7387949
How so? Her economics are completely subordinated to her philosophy of, "It's not fair."
>>
File: 1447060428538.jpg (44 KB, 387x573) Image search: [Google]
1447060428538.jpg
44 KB, 387x573
>>7387949
>her economic beliefs are relatively respectable
>>
>>7387491
It's not the prose so much as the decade long monologues that turned me off of Ayn Rand

That and not being a libertarian
>>
>>7387957
>>7387958
I meant in that she clearly has enough of an understanding of economics to at least be considered 'knowledgeable' in the field. Agreeing with her is a completley separate topic.
>>
>>7387623
> childish and retarded
How so?
>>
>>7388108
see>>7387889
>>
>>7387981
She really, really clearly does not have any understanding of economics beyond 101-level stuff she thinks applies to everything in the world.

Saying she has an understanding of economics is like saying anyone who knows A Modest Proposal was satirical has an understanding of English literature.
>>
>>7388127
That's the prose not the logic of her philosophy?
>>
>>7388141
It contains the content of her philosophy.

>logic
>>
>>7388157
No it doesn't. Barely any of that relates to objectivism.
>>
>>7388141
all the people here hate her because they're neets and jealous of her life-affirming philosophy

all you need to do is read anthem or atlas shrugged and you'll see how brilliant rand is
>>
>>7387491
I always really liked her prose.

There's a scene in The Fountainhead, where Toohey's little club is all meeting, and the evening's worn on and they're all bored and hate themselves, and just sort of sitting there. The atmosphere of that scene was incredibly powerful, I was struck by the emotion carried in that scene.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.