[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like the answer should be obvious, but i just wanna make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 9780143039952.jpg (680 KB, 1465x2244) Image search: [Google]
9780143039952.jpg
680 KB, 1465x2244
I feel like the answer should be obvious, but i just wanna make sure, which version of the Odyssey is the best?
>>
>>7387084
Fitzgerald or Lattimore, depends on what you want.
>>
>>7387084
Pope.

why doesn't it exist? ;_;
>>
>>7387084
The original.
>>
Lattimore is almost always a good choice for Greek classics.
>>
>>7387084
It isn't obvious and there will be a huge fight over it.
The best thing to do is read the same passage from several translations (first pages on Amazon, some websites have comparisons) and choose the one you like best.
All translations have to take liberties because the languages are different. The translation you choose depends on what you are look for (poetic, word for word accurate, meaning accurate, etc.)
>>
I heard that speed is best for Homer, and that Fagles makes for a good first translaton due its relative simple language
>>
File: 1432938335976.webm (2 MB, 474x344) Image search: [Google]
1432938335976.webm
2 MB, 474x344
http://www.press.umich.edu/17212/odyssey/?s=look_inside
>>
>>7387127
>speed is best for Homer
I really don't see ancient Greek singers rushing through it.
>>
>>7387151
They wouldn't dilly dally either
>>
>>7387151
No, but it's probably best not to read a translation that forces you to stop and decipher the language every few lines. You want it to flow easily.
>>
>>7387158
You would be singing much more slowly than you'd talk.

>>7387228
What translation makes you do that?
>>
>>7387084
Fables is quite good
>>
>>7387264
>What translation makes you do that?
None, really. But I read Pope and Fitzgerald more slowly than I read Fagles
>>
>>7387107
There's no surviving copy of any greek manuscript containing either the Odyssey or the Iliad. We took them from monk copyists who made volumes for storage in their monasteries. You're such a hopeless pleb that you can't even joke right.
>>
>>7387364
>You're such a hopeless pleb that you can't even joke right.
You do understand that a joke doesn't need to be literally true, right?
>>
>>7387364
Nice reading comprehension.
>>
>>7387103
But it does (more or less)
>>
Nothing but fitz
>>
>>7387441
...huh. Not sure why I thought there wasn't one. Is it a good as his Iliad?
>>
File: a.jpg (140 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
140 KB, 1000x1000
Is anyone familiar with the Butler translation?
>>
>>7388752
Wordsworth covers trigger me so fucking much
>>
Fitzgerald's Odyssey is a masterpiece of English in its own right, one of my favourite works of translation of any book.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.