[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linguistics & Etymology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Linguistics.jpg (1 MB, 1758x1304) Image search: [Google]
Linguistics.jpg
1 MB, 1758x1304
Does anyone know some good texts on linguistics and/or etymology?
Particularly worthwhile etymological dictionaries, for instance?
Has Chomsky written anything of worth?

Also just general discussion of such topics, I suppose.
>>
bump, fags
>>
you know there are linguists other than chomsky right? why would you mention him in a thread about etymology?
>>
>>7386523
did I imply that he was the only one?
it's a thread about linguistics AND etymology, as you can see in the OP
I've seen him mentioned on /lit/ a fair few times, so I assumed that some anons would be familair with his work and would be able to recommend something of his to me
>>
>>7386428
>Has Chomsky written anything of worth?
No. And he primarily wrote about syntax and biolinguistics (ie; bullshit mountain: the scientific field), so I don't know why you're mentioning him in a thread about historical and evolutionary linguistics.
>>
>>7386428
I doubt that's what you're looking for, but I'm currently flicking through Fowler's Modern English Usage and I find it a lot of fun to read.
>>
Borror and Delong's Introduction to the Study of Insects
>>
>>7386428
>Has Chomsky written anything of worth
his work on the critical period basically created modern linguistics, so i'd say so
>>
>>7386600
kind of contradicts what this guy >>7386561 is saying

...who to trust...
>>
>>7386428
Start with Saussure. Seriously. Barthes can also be recommended.
>>
>>7386600
If by linguistics you mean syntax then yeah, but if by linguistics you mean the entire field then not really. He has virtually no influence in any other subfield of the study.

To answer your question OP, etymology is somewhat of a fragmented field, for good reason--linguistic history itself is fragmented. You can find people who specialize in the history of Sinitic languages, or Indo-European languages, or something else, but not the whole thing, because there's plenty of reason to believe that there never was "a" Proto-World.

Read the wikipedia article on "The Comparative Method", since it's the method used by pretty much all etymologists/historical linguists. Then pick your favorite linguistic area and read on.

PS: there is no such thing as Altaic
>>
>>7386691
This is the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you
>>
>>7386705
Fair enough, will do
>>
>>7386428

I recently read something by Henry Lous Gate Jr. called the Signifyin(g) Monkey. Worth reading. Guy has like 42 honory distinctions from all top uni's.
>>
>>7386911

Also I still need to read Derrida, Deleuze, Lacan, Saussure but I'm going to take my time for that.
>>
>>7386428
OP, please take everything said about linguistics on 4chan with a very high dose of skepticism; almost nobody on here even knows what linguistics is. there are a few threads where linguistics has come up on the new board /his/ and it is absolutely disgusting how so many people can be so ignorant and not realize it. chomsky actually has written on sound change. "the sound pattern of english" 1968 has a section on the history of english phonology. i'm not sure if you're aware of etymonline.com but it's a nice resource. so is oxford english dictionaries website (oed.com) if you can get access to it. those sites have both been recommended to me by historical linguistics instructors for etymological inquiries. I personally don't find etymology to be particularly interesting, but its applications in historical linguistics are. If you're interested in historical linguistics, you should check out lyle campbell's "historical linguistics," originally from 1998 I think. I found this pdf of it just on google http://faculty.mu.edu.sa/public/uploads/1424720340.6709[Lyle_Campbell]_Historical_Linguistics._An_Introdu(BookZZ.org).pdf.
>>
Someone should make a chart for these
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.