[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> can read the most difficult texts of prose and find it rewarding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 58.jpg (77 KB, 970x385) Image search: [Google]
58.jpg
77 KB, 970x385
> can read the most difficult texts of prose and find it rewarding
> can't fucking stand poetry

I can appreciate Homer, Virgil and Chaucer. But to think I'm going to waste my time reading the obscurities of a T.S. Eliot and a Hart Crane or the DUDE SENSATIONS LMAO of a Rimbaud. No, I will not.
>>
>>7385876
shut up and read Yeats

he had a profound influence on Joyce and if you don't think the Second Coming is the tits, you're a pleb
>>
>>7385883
I've never read him. I'll give him a try because I remember that "no country for old men" line being good.

But really what the fuck is the pleasure in forcing yourself to read and think about guys like William Carlos Williams.

I'm not gonna fucking analyse your red wheelbarrow.
>>
>>7385890
if you can sit down and analyze the implications of the intro to Bloom's debut in Ulysses, you can shut up and analyze anything you pussyfart

By no means do I hold poetry as my favorite thing in literature but there's quality shit all over. Robert Creeley, Yeats, Robert Browning, Ozymandias
>>
>>7385896
Well, I want non-cringe poetry. Every time I read modern poetry I always get this feel of "Well, at least it makes sense in your mind, Mr. Poet."

Plus poetry is, well, gay.
>>
>>7385918
>>>/trash/
>>>/r9k/
>>>/out/
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>7385876
>can read the most difficult texts of prose and find it rewarding

No, if all poetry is over your head, I have a STRONG feeling you're just not a good reader in general.
>>
>>7385918

>>>/hm/
>>
>>7385931
It's not over my head but I do lose patience really easily with poetry.

I can never get into it because it's yawn-inducing pretentious garbage like this

Call the roller of big cigars,
The muscular one, and bid him whip
In kitchen cups concupiscent curds.
Let the wenches dawdle in such dress
As they are used to wear, and let the boys
Bring flowers in last month’s newspapers.
Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Take from the dresser of deal,
Lacking the three glass knobs, that sheet
On which she embroidered fantails once
And spread it so as to cover her face.
If her horny feet protrude, they come
To show how cold she is, and dumb.
Let the lamp affix its beam.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

It's about Dairy Queen. Fucking Dairy Queen.
>>
>>7385941
>>
>>7385876
>>>/blogspot/
>>
Poetry is just literature at its most compressed and precise. Nigga if poetry is lost on you then lit is probably lost on you (apparently) without you knowing it.
>>
>>7385941

Stevens is okay. Try reading Donne or Shakespeare's sonnets or something
>>
File: 109962.jpg (217 KB, 1280x670) Image search: [Google]
109962.jpg
217 KB, 1280x670
>>7385876
>or the DUDE SENSATIONS LMAO of a Rimbaud. No, I will not.
>Every time I read modern poetry I always get this feel of "Well, at least it makes sense in your mind, Mr. Poet."
>Plus poetry is, well, gay.
>>
>reads and enjoys Finnegans wake
>hates poetry

O I am laffing
>>
>>7385989
Donne is OK. Shakespeare is amazing.
>>7385981
No, just modern poetry reads like bullshit.
>>
>>7385876
Read prose poetry. "North & South" by Elizabeth Bishop is a great introduction. Google "The Man-Moth" and "Sestina" if you want to see what her style is like.
>>
>>7385876
I really hope you didn't use those three as examples of authors with difficult texts.
>>
>>7386355
How the fuck does hart crane read like bullshit?
He had great respect for both meter and rhyme
>>
Are there any comic surrealist poets?
>>
File: song of himself.png (1 MB, 1796x682) Image search: [Google]
song of himself.png
1 MB, 1796x682
>>7386355
>Donne is OK

ye you're just a shitty reader after all
>>
>>7385981
>Poetry is just literature at its most compressed and precise. Nigga if poetry is lost on you then lit is probably lost on you (apparently) without you knowing it.

This desu. OP is a pleb who reads for the image.
>>
>>7385883
>second coming
How pleb of you. Literally the only people know by him
>>
>>7385918
Read Rilke and Eliot.

Those are pretty much the only two poets I have come across that don't make physically cringe in embarrassment while reading them.
>>
>>7387328
Nice unsupported inference, dickhead.
>>
>>7385896
>Shelley
>Good
Shelley please go

I like Ozymandias
>>
>>7385876
it takes time and effort to develop an appreciation, which really shouldn't be news. same as starting out with literature. so either give up or keep going, nothing wrong with hating poetry, but at least stop being a faggot about it
>>
>>7386429
It's terrible. What kind of sad life do you have to live to pretend enjoyment out of that?
>>
>>7385876

try Bukowski
>>
Hart Crane is a god.
>>
File: WB_Yeats_nd.jpg (1 MB, 3797x5312) Image search: [Google]
WB_Yeats_nd.jpg
1 MB, 3797x5312
>>7385883
>maybe if i reference mythology people won't notice how bad my poetry is
>>
>>7388334

plus he was in the golden dawn for cryin' out loud!
mental!
>>
>>7388334

Eh he really wasn't that bad. He's a pleasant poet and while he wasn't really technically proficient he still wrote some nice lyrics. What he lacked with his ear he made up with his images.
>>
>>7388334
Please point out the mythology referenced in Lake Isle of Inisfree, An Irish Airman Forsees His Death and "When you are old...".
>>
Read Blake. He's fairly easy to identify in meaning and technicalities, plus he's reknowned.
>>
>>7385876

Poetry is simply an outdated medium for hacks 1900 onward.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.