[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 13 novels deep into this series, I just cant stop, haven't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: interesting series.jpg (61 KB, 600x424) Image search: [Google]
interesting series.jpg
61 KB, 600x424
I'm 13 novels deep into this series, I just cant stop, haven't loved a series this much in a really long time. although ill admit I had to struggle to get through some of the mid novels.
can we get a thread about the wheel of time series going?

mostly I'm interested in your thoughts on why it hasnt been turned into a series or set of movies yet. surely there is enough likable and complex characters and the story is more then unique enough to garner an audience
am I right in assuming that Olver is Bridgettes endless love reborn?
>>
Finished it yesterday.

Loved every moment of it, even though it's true that the middle books are a bit tiresome.

I think the final volume is my favourite.
>>
>series

Saged. Hidden.
>>
>>7385415
It is. I heard it's getting a series.
The good thing about Game of Thrones is that everybody is clamoring to make a fantasy series now. I heard the Magician's Tree (?) and one of Tamora Pierce's series is getting a tv show.
But I've heard a lot of things, so who knows.
>>
>braid tugging intensifies
>>
http://forum.malazanempire.com/topic/21832-hateful-wheel-of-time-review/
>>
I read them all up until the authors death. I really enjoyed them at the time too.

But looking back, I have to honestly consider WOT one of the worst fantasy series I have ever read, right up there with Sword of Truth, another series I read fully and enjoyed.

WOT in particular felt like a fucking chore at times. So much dialog and so little action for so long, sometimes almost a whole book felt like characters just talked about things. And the traveling. You'd think with teleportation there would not be many excuses for long journeys but oh no, fuck you, prepare to have your favorite character 'on the road' for two books.

I still love the male/female aspect of magic. I still love their training. Balefire. Perrin. But the whole series just seemed like it was padded to death and back. I can see why a lot of people called the author out for money grabbing.
>>
It hasn't been made into a series because of shit to do with the rights. Red Eagle holds them and pulled a dick move (Winter Dragon) to keep them.

Also, Jordan said that Olver was not Gaidal.
>>
>>7385971

I really feel like Robert Jordan could have invested a lot more time in world building and developing characters that were actually important, rather than wasting so much time on subplots and tertiary forgettable fuckheads like Aes Sedai #712 whose name and personality are almost exactly like Aes Sedai #328.

Also, the man writes 80% of his female characters as unlikable cunts, 15% of the remaining being irredeemable cunts.
>>
>>7386495

Also, it really bothered me that after thousands of years since a global civilization, people who lived at different ends of the continent spoke the same language with slight dialectic changes.
>>
>>7386495
>Also, the man writes 80% of his female characters as unlikable cunts, 15% of the remaining being irredeemable cunts.

It's called realism
>>
>>7385879
>smooths skirt internally
>>
>>7386495
Faile is a good example of both of those complaints.

He assumed that everybody cared about what happened to her so he wasted much of three fucking books on a plot that everybody hated because NOBODY GAVE A SHIT ABOUT HER.
>>
>>7386507
>>/r9k/
>>
>>7386661

Totally agree. Failed just got more and more annoying and then her and Perrin "resolved" their issues and she just pretty much became a non-character.

Nynaeve is the opposite for me. She was a bitch, but I think she alone of all female characters had a flesh out enough story and development arc that she actually became one of my favorite characters by the end, standing by Rand. She actually GREW over the series, which is more than can be said about Queen Haughty Elaine and Egwene "Plot Armor" al'Vere.
>>
>>7386760
Fuck Egwene. I hated her so much that I read the entire "why Egwene sucks" thing that that guy wrote.

The female characters I thought were good were Nynaeve, Siuan, and Dyelin. Other than that they were mostly samey shitheads. I get that men were supposed to be demonized because of the Breaking, like an Eve and the fruit thing, but your average man wasn't involved in that at all. Plus, nobody that I know of actually hates women because of Eve; it's a purely philosophical excuse for gender roles that actually came about because of biology.
>>
Mat Tier

Top Tier
>Early and Late Perrin
>Lan and all Borderlanders in general
>Thom
>Loial
>Tam al'Thor
>Galad
>Male Aiel
>Based Verrin

High Tier
>Rand
>Min
>Elyas Machera
>The Forsaken
>Female Aiel
>Birgitte
>Moiraine

Bearable
>Aviendha
>Wise Women

Woe is Me Tier
>Middle Perrin

Totally Unlikeable Tier
>Elaine
>Egwene
>Gawain
>Faile
>99% Other Aes Sedai

There's six billion other characters but I'll be damnes if I can remember then all.
>>
>>7386806

Oh yeah, Siuan in high tier, along with that general who was her lover.
>>
>>7386805

I have not hated a character as much as Egwene.

This series delivered some serious catharsis at some points, at least. Rand breaking out of the White Tower's convoy and just wrecking their shit was fantastic.
>>
>>7386806
Good list, I had totally forgotten Birgitte. She was great, and her memory loss showed death from an interesting perspective.

>>7386814
Dumai's Wells was definitely a high point. Some other parts I thought were great were the first blowing of the Horn, the cleansing of Saidin, and the duels with Demandred, especially Galad's.
>>
>>7386840

It really should have been Mat instead of Lan for the third one, though. Really nail home the whole "farmer with a stick" achieving victory unexpectedly.
>>
>>7386861
Yeah, that would have been nice. The whole battle was basically Mat vs. Demandred from a strategic point of view, but a physical duel would have been an interesting conclusion.

Speaking of Mat, I thought the weakest part of the whole battle was Fain. Such a fucking anticlimax, and the reasoning behind it came out of nowhere. I know that Sanderson wanted a rivalry thing (Rand/Moridin, Perrin/Slayer, Mat/Fain), but there isn't much reason for Mat/Fain aside from them having opposite luck and their sole interaction early in the very first novel.
>>
>>7386880

God, don't even get me started on that. What a weak conclusion to the Shadar Logoth story.
>>
>>7386951
The northern part of the battle was, overall, shit, aside from Rand's parts. It's the largest battle in the series, or at least involves the most Aiel and Myrddraal ever described in the series, but it gives the impression of just being a dozen Aiel and some wolves against a bunch of Shadowspawn, then a couple Aes Sedai and one Forsaken. It seemed like Sanderson's vision for it contradicted Jordan's original plan, or like he was running too close to the deadline to do it well.
>>
>>7385820
>TV series

Ha, your comment sent me to wikipedia to check that out and look what I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNYIEN1vIg

A pilot! From February!
>>
>>7387064

REE found a noob director and gave him 3 weeks or so to make a "pilot" to retain the rights to the series. He did it, with no budget and a tiny cast of amateurs. It's absolute shit, but also really funny and a little impressive.

Oh yeah, and the director died right after finishing it.
>>
>>7387075
Oh.

So, something like the Dune miniseries but (rightly) killed before it was even born.
>>
>>7387094
Well, the intent here was never to continue with a series. They called it a "pilot" because that's what they needed to keep the rights, you can't really prove it wasn't one (I guess there's no legal restriction on the word). However, no further episodes were produced.

There was no announcement. Somebody on Reddit found it by luck - it was shown at 2AM on some weird channel in what was normally an informercial slot.

However, the random redditfag ended up being a REE rep. I never saw anything after that revelation, though.

Also, REE decided to sue Jordan's widow over something snarky she said about the "pilot".
>>
>>7385950
I enjoyed that.
>>
>>7387120

Did she say the horse needed to die faster in the pilot?
>>
>>7387617
I think she just said something that suggested that she hadn't known about it being made. I don't remember exactly, though.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.