[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been very depressed lately. I feel empty. Nothing really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: rye.jpg (19 KB, 185x273) Image search: [Google]
rye.jpg
19 KB, 185x273
I've been very depressed lately. I feel empty. Nothing really keeps me entertained or makes me feel much of anything. I figured a book is a good idea. I guess this is a broad question, but whats a book that could change my life or whatever?

Pic related, it's the last book that "changed my life".
>>
bump?
>>
>>7385270
Oh. Oh. This is a fun one.
Uhmmm. Let me see.

Coming Through Slaughter

Probably the last book that "changed my life"
>>
>>7385270
Notes from the Underground
>>
>>7385286
That actually sounds really neat actually. I have always appreciated more experimental stuff in films, so I'd imagine I'll like it in books too
>>
A rape manual. Wonderful.
>>
Brothers Karamazov
>>
>>7385291
Will check this out. The relatively short length has me interested, plus existentialism.
>>
Gravity's Rainbow and The Illuminatus Trilogy were a huge influence on me as a young man. Got me interested in the arts and moved me away from my conservative upbringing. In retrospect The Illuminatus Trilogy is terrible, but Gravity's Rainbow really is a brilliant, beautiful, sprawling masterpiece. I've matured a lot since I first read it, and I see it very differently now, but I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. That's the book that probably most changed my life.
>>
>>7385292
Oh, it's SO good.
Especially if you're into music at all.

But I'm totally with you on the whole boredom thing. It is brutal.

I've found that it's gotten better since I started forcing myself to use my more wisely. For example, I write for an hour and a half everyday. I spend a half an hour reading every morning when I wake up and I read until I fall asleep.

I find that as I fill my mind with interesting ideas and give myself time to explore them through writing, I'm able to process the things that happen to me on a day to day basis in a much more in depth and engaging way. Food for thought.
>>
>>7385312
>>7385286
This sounds great. Not OP, but I'll check it out. Thanks!
>>
>>7385295
this
>>
>>7385310
Would not recommend either of these for a beginner. Considering Catcher had the most impact on you thus far, you probably are a beginner. Notes and Coming are good suggestions.
>>
Get into politics OP. No fiction book is going to make you feel better.

Alternately you can become religious. Politics and religion (Islam mostly) is what most young people use nowadays to fill the void everyone has on this nihilist society we live in.
>>
>>7385567
>Feel depressed and empty
>Get into politics
You want to kill the man?
>>
>>7385567
Politics bore the fuck out of me. It's all a bunch of bullshit.
>>
>>7385567
>Islam mostly
Is that what fedoras and /pol/tards actually believe?
>>
>>7385270
>thinking reading books will change your life
no form of art will change your life, it only ever allows you to transcend your own for a period of time. the story you really want to read is your own, and only you have to key to that. try writing a book maybe.
>>
>>7386393
Wrong, platitudinous, and cringe-inducing. Congrats on making such a terrible post.
>>
>>7386393
I should do more writing. I've been procrastinating on a screenplay for years now
>>
Read steppewolf but stay away from razors as you do.
>>
>>7386398
you sound butthurt.
keep reading though, it'll never get better.
>>
You should kill John Lennon.
>>
>>7385270
>The Catcher in the Rye changed my life

16 y/o detected

Read some Dostoeyevsky or Tolstoy
>>
>>7386475
Yeah that's when I read it for the first time. I'm older now, that's why I want a new book.
>>
>>7385270
Illuminatus has put a big smile on my face, I'd say its probably the best book I could have read at this period of my life.
>>
File: Marcus Aurelius.jpg (117 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
Marcus Aurelius.jpg
117 KB, 500x750
>>7385270
I suggest you start reading some of the Stoics.

Seneca is probably the more amusing to read. Epictetus is kind of harsh and more cynical but the most helpfull in difficult times. Marcus Aurelius is the deepest and most moving in my opinion.
>>
>>7386877
Seneca is amusing to read because of what a shit stoic he was, have you read his justification of wealth and fine living?
>>
>>7386475
>Dostoeyevsky
Notes from Underground is basically the same thing as OP's pic related dipshit.
>>
>>7386877
I would say you should avoid the stoics at all cost, they all based their pathetic lives on a divine afterlife. And rejected all externals because of it, stupid escapists.
>>
>>7386904
w
o
w

i don't even know which of those books you manage to misread the hardest

congrats, that's an achievement
>>
>>7386910
That strawman can go both ways senpai.
>>
>>7386908
They did not believe in the afterlife. They only believed in now. Future and past are out of our control so should not concern you.
>>
>>7386940
it's cute that you use words like you know what they mean
>>
>>7386888
His writings are excellent if we are talking about practical tips to live a stoic life.

In defense of his enormous wealth: there is nothing wrong with having lots of wealth, enjoy it if you can, be grateful, but don't ever become a slave to wealth.

I understand how ascetism and wealth are hard to combine, but I think it is possible. Sometimes you see very rich people, but they just are not influenced mentally by their money. These are usually people who are valued because of their character and not their wealth.
>>
>>7386963
>These are usually
How do you defend yourself saying thngs like this?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.