[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>walk into used bookstore >see used copies of philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1447638989371.png (202 KB, 391x497) Image search: [Google]
1447638989371.png
202 KB, 391x497
>walk into used bookstore
>see used copies of philosophy books
>not textbooks but primary sources
>feel like my unique esotericism has been shattered

This feeling is stupid but it keeps happening.The other day I saw a full set of Hegel's Encyclopedia in German.
>>
>>7385069
why?
>>
not sure what you're getting at
>>
What?
>>
>>7385075
it seems the amount of energy op is willing to dedicated to literature is enough to feel bad around name drops, but not the amount of energy to be interested in hegel's work so much that he would willingly learn german. he's basically upset that other people have fun when he doesn't. he should read dazai
>>
>>7385075
>>7385076
Because people are out there reading weird canon shit just like me. The used bookstore has the evidence.
>>
>>7385069
Yeah you need to stop fetishizing your reading. I live in Cambridge, MA and frequently shop at Raven Used Books in Harvard Square, a store stocked entirely with the most interesting castoffs of Harvard faculty and students. Really drives home how important intellectual community is, in addition to isolated study, that there are so many people studying these "esoteric" fields, who then share them with one another and go through all these wonderful books so that they need to discard some for cash or to make space.
>>
>>7385088
you realize if a book is in print it's probably been read by more than one person?
>>
i wouldn't read her if you paid me
>>
>>7385095
what if we gave you a red pencil?
>>
>>7385093
That's why it's a stupid feeling. Doesn't stop me from wondering who these other well read people are.
>>
>>7385088
So you are upset that you aren't a special little flower who is smarter than everyone else after all?
>>
Catch up OP. The goal isn't to withhold knowledge, it's to have a large base of it from which you can speak to others who have also dedicated their life to whatever thing(s) you're interested in.
>>
>>7385102
anon, be kind, he just found out his mom lied to him. christmas is going to be awkward this year in his house if santa doesn't bring him his best reader award again. have some sympathy for the poor woman, this isn't madame bovary.
>>
>>7385102
Yeah that's what the OP says you illiterate cunt.
>>
>>7385088
You might have known that. There's a subtle clue in the word 'canon'.
>>
File: 1431453185783.jpg (91 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1431453185783.jpg
91 KB, 600x600
>tfw I just bought a "used" copy of Virgil's works that has never actually been opened and the seller had it lying around for years
>tfw I don't know OP's feel
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.