[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>we want the star wars audience
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
>we want the star wars audience
>>
>dune
>1965
Bait harder.
>>
>>7384886
I think he's referring to the redesigned cover, not the plot itself.
>>
Did Dune inspire Star Wars? It seems like the Jedi take from the same idea of Sufi-type desert people.
>>
>>7384911
Yeah, the first Star Wars movie reminds me heavily of Dune in some parts of it.
>>
File: PHPc8PNkegrZTP_1_l.jpg (59 KB, 534x712) Image search: [Google]
PHPc8PNkegrZTP_1_l.jpg
59 KB, 534x712
>>7384911
>>7384992
The Dune influence got toned down as he wrote mote drafts, but the original draft was a pure Dune worship.

Dark Horse has a short series of comics adapted from the original script for Star Wars that I'd suggest all fans should read.
>>
I have always wanted to read Dune.
Is the series in general worth it, or only the first?
>>
>>7385058
You only need to read the first book.
>>
File: dune guide.jpg (1022 KB, 1144x2560) Image search: [Google]
dune guide.jpg
1022 KB, 1144x2560
>>7385058
Opinions vary, so take your pick. Option 2 would be my preferred if I was doing a re-read.

The one thing that's agreed by all is that the non-Frank books are awful.
>>
>>7385094
Does Option 3 have a good end like Option 2 does?
>>
>>7385058
Just finished it tonight and I would also like to know this.

The ending didn't really leave me wanting more.
>>
>>7385100
It has a definite ending, if that's what you mean. The next book after that (Heretics) picks up over a thousand years later with new characters.
>>
>>7385058
>I have always wanted to read Dune.

why haven't you? are you a replicant with a four-year lifespan and you don't want to waste a week reading a book you might not like?
>>
>>7385210
actually i am.
>>
>>7385120
Alright thanks. I'll start the first book and if it's good, I'll make sure to finish Option 3.
>>
File: 1446608057313.gif (54 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1446608057313.gif
54 KB, 625x626
>>
>>7385049
originally there was no force, the jedi were practioners of a super martial arts called "jedi bendu"
>>
>>7385215
>Jedi Dindu
>>
>>7385215
You walk through a desert. You see a turtle lying on its back. What do you do?
>>
Why does Dune feel so long when in reality it's short
>>
>>7384911
>>7384992

Even Episode I starts with the Merchants doing the same things the CHOAM does on the end of the first book.

Star Wars is Dune for plebs.
>>
>>7386108
funny enough, dune is already for plebs.
>>
>>7386108
Dune is Voyage to Arcturus for plebs
>>
>>7385945
a turtle? I'm gonna tell you about a turtle!
>>
>>7386556
every book is Flight to Lucifer for plebs
>>
>>7385094
So is general consensus that Children of Dune is the most awful of the lot? Asking because I'm reading it now and it's def a dip in quality, a big dip, but it's not that bad. And, if the sequels bu Frank is considered better I'd be an elated man.
>>
>>7386343
It's more lit than most lit. Most just don't see anything beyond the genre aspects.
>>
File: Dune.jpg (524 KB, 739x1020) Image search: [Google]
Dune.jpg
524 KB, 739x1020
Original movie poster from Lynch version...
>>
>>7386731
didnt know agent dale cooper was in this??? is it supposed to be 'good'
>>
David Lynch wrote the screenplay and directed it. It's fun for the eighties feel, and has a young Sting as Feyd Rautha. Good is a hard word to associate with it. It's interesting.
>>
>>7385991
Isn't it like 800 pages?
Haven't actually read it. That doesn't seem short.
>>
>>7386788
>>
>>7385058
Well, in my opinion the 4th book is the best in the series "God Emperor of Dune''. It really is philosophically rewarding. Seeing the ideas that were seeded in book one, thousands of years later have outcomes that are magnitudes more meaningful then anything that happens in the first book.

Yes, by the time you get to the 4th book, the story has so so much more weight that anything that transpired in the first. Maud Dib is very interesting, because he foresaw the outcome of his influence and jihad. By the time God Emperor is happening, its thousands of years later and the universe is shaped by the history of the first book's events.
>>
>>7386797
what tiny ass font do you have? mine is 700 pages
>>
>>7384867
NAH NAH NAH
go for the GoT audience Dune has houses and intrigue and backstabbing and gay people the only prob is HBO is just the worst kind of jew fag when it comes to sci-fi
>>
I read the first ~50 pages of the first book and it was bad.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.