[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FUCK YOU LEMONY SNICKET WHAT WAS THE SUGAR BOWL AND WHAT DOES
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 65112.jpg (35 KB, 318x450) Image search: [Google]
65112.jpg
35 KB, 318x450
FUCK YOU LEMONY SNICKET WHAT WAS THE SUGAR BOWL AND WHAT DOES VFD STAND FOR?

Lets have ASoUE thread I guess
>>
aged out after the eighth but loved them a lot when I was younger. worth finishing?
>>
>>7384833
Did I miss out since I didn't read these as a child?
>>
>>7384833
Fucking Chinese glue over priced short stories for children.
>>
>>7384839
Yeah, you did. Don't be ashamed to read them as an adult, I'm in college and I just finished reading The Little Prince.
>>
>>7384843
I would, but I have 30 other novels on my backlog and a constant guilt for not having finished them yet.
>>
I would recommend the other books, like All the Wrong Questions, The Beatrice Letters, and Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography for clarification. As well as the wiki.

>>7384833
The sugar bowl itself didn't matter. It was what was in the sugar bowl. Possibly something incriminating Olaf for the arson everyone thought Lemony commited, exonerating the latter.
V.F.D. primarily stands for Volunteer Fire Department. The members of V.F.D. were originally Volunteer Fire fighters before beginning to spread much further. The use of phrases containing the initials "V.F.D." is/was used to communicate membership. Just as "I didn't realize this was a sad occasion" could be used, or Sebald Code might be used to communicate.

I may be a little obsessed.

>>7384850
They're really short.

>>7384838
I enjoyed them as an adult. They have a decent amount of humor, and a lot of mystery that wasn't cleared up intentionally, which if you can get passed the ambiguity is actually really cool, how it was all handled.
>>
>>7384838
>aged out
Jesus christ these people exist.
>>
File: microbes.jpg (279 KB, 770x300) Image search: [Google]
microbes.jpg
279 KB, 770x300
these books creep me out

i think snickets fucked in the head and not in the good way
>>
>>7384833
The series peaked at the climax of Hostile Hospital

13 was fucking bullshit and only wrapped up the loose ends I didn't actually care about.

VFD was pretty well understood, but I was disappointed on how quickly it was dropped after 11. After the huge brouhaha about the schism it was underplayed to the point where I went from picturing it as a badass underworld revolt to being an argument among a "totally secret clubhouse" like the Freemasons resulting in a couple of people getting killed.

>>7384865
I'd have to agree that I came to the conclusion that the Sugar bowl contained some sort of physical evidence from the initial arson lemony can't stop talking about, although it seems as if it was not a document but a tangible thing, like a torch with fingerprints. Shame that Lemony is rarely mentioned in-series amongst the few contacts of the VFD, as if Lemony were valued it would have made a lot more sense why so much effort was spend exonerating him. I doubt that bringing Olaf to justice was the epic quest they were on, as Olaf was quite beyond the reach of the law.

It's been a while, but what was the significance of the Mycelium and its herbal antidote? Was Olaf really going to spread it across the world if he didn't get his way? I don't seem to remember a huge deal being made about that but if I remember the events clearly that would change a lot about Olaf. What did he want anyway? Was it self-preservation through trying to destroy witnesses, was there a higher aim for his merciless tracking, or was he really just a washed-up actor obsessed with a family fortune?
>>
>>7384903
Quite a lot of things were hidden from the Baudelaire's. Would it be surprising if Lemony's importance was one of those things? Or perhaps Lemony's own editing. There's a theory that the cab driver in The Wide Window and The Penultimate Peril is Lemony, but that information is kept out of the reader's attention. I suspect Olaf, and possible other Fire-Starters would be in trouble if whatever was in the bowl got out. After all, part of the Beatrice Letters implies Lemony is, in fact, exonerated, once Little Beatrice grows up

As far as I remember, it just served as Count Olaf's weapon in the last few books. Part of it was probably to develop the ambiguity of morality -- Gregor Anwhistle, Aunt Josephine's Brother-in-law, developed it, and he was supposed to be a "good guy." It also gave some story to the Baudelaire's parents' history.
Probably less across the world and more into the members of V.F.D. who weren't Fire-Starters.
He wanted a lot of things, but I believe it was probably a mixture of the fortunes, and the end to the the non Fire-Starters. Also Kit
>>
>>7384833
volunteer fire department
>>
I've only watched the movie a long time ago, is it good, for those who've read the books?
>>
>>7384843
>the little prince
Mah nigga
I cry every time.
>>
>>7384833
just met mr. snicket last month for his latest book release, with my infant daughter. even his stage persona was simultaneously appealing to the children and humorous to the adults. he was even kind enough to "flirt" with my baby that evening.

i think his brilliance as a children's author is greatly underrated, especially when compared to people like j.k. rowling or the twilight/hunger games series.

the moral ambiguity and lack of plot resolutions in the end were very frustrating when i first read it, but i now believe it was very wise to not reveal "the great unknown" because, honestly, how could he?
>>
>>7385007
the film was shit
>>
>>7385053
its not as bad as percy jackson
>>
>>7385201
which is not as bad as Eragon
>>
>>7384890
i know who can imagine someone outgrowing a series of children books,
fucking monsters the lot of them
>>
>>7385203
Which is not as bad as the hobbit: battle of five armies
>>
>>7385420
Not monsters, just retards. Bitches be too afraid the synaptic paparazzi will snap a photo and expose your precious ego.
>>
I heard the end is code for them all going out to sea in a boat and drowning.
That's what I heard.
But I've never read 'em, so whatever.
>>
File: Bloom Giggle.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Bloom Giggle.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
>>7384833
Vaginal Fuck Disease
>>
I think I read all of these except the last one. They got me frustrated as a kid because there would always be a new cryptic mystery that would drag out forever
>>
>>7387457
see>>7385854
>>
>>7385666
That was the best film out of the six of them tho?
>>
>>7385007
The movie was so bad
SO FUCKING BAD

Hopefully Netflix doesn't fuck up the show.

>>7385854
Possible, though unlikely. Beatrice, Kit's daughter survives the boat ride [Citation: The Beatrice Letters] even though she was only one year old. We've seen Sunny be resourceful, but not strong, certainly not strong enough to guide a boat to shore.

>>7387457
That's the point. Life isn't clear cut. You can't, and shouldn't, live your life assuming everything is as it seems, and you especially shouldn't believe you are always right. You're probably a dick.

>>7387483
>six
There were four Hobbit movies dumbass
>>
I read this series out of order as a kid. I still fucking loved it
>>
>>7384838
>worth finishing?

Yes. But I'd recommend rereading from the start to refresh your memory of what's happening. Which isn't bad because you can get through 3-4 in a day easy.
>>
>>7385007
>>7385053
>>7388075
fuck the lot of you, the movie was hype as fuck
>>
I only read the first couple, and so long ago I cant remember anything about them. Looking back at the acronyms and wacky antics though, is it just Pynchon for kids?
>>
>>7384833
VFD was his attempt at a Pynchonesque mysterious organization that you are always guessing toward
>>
The series itself peaked at the hospital, but it was at its scariest in the 2nd or 3rd books with the animal cages and at the lake.

The mysteries were never well-developed but it had a solid atmosphere throughout.
>>
>>7385666
Nah Battle of Five Guys was better than Eragon.
>>
I remember reading book 8 first as a kid, then borrowing books 1-6 from a friend and reading them all while I was sick over 3 days. Unfortunately like most ya fiction I read as a kid, the library never had the rest of the series and ebooks/epubs/mobi weren't really around, so I basically gave up/forgot about the series. I did buy books 1-13 when I was 21, still got them but whenever I restart the series I seem to only make it to book 7 then get bored because of the repetitive nature.
>>
File: which.jpg (35 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
which.jpg
35 KB, 500x500
Okay but seriously, which V.F.D. insignia design is the canon one? I've seen all three used as tattoos (Also, which side of the left ankle should it be on?) so I can't decide.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.