[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this series worth reading? Any fans here on /lit/? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 600x900
Is this series worth reading? Any fans here on /lit/? I've been reading classics mainly and I'm looking for something light to hold me over until I start college in January.

Currently reading a PDF of it, seems like a fun series and I'm considering buying it. Thoughts?
>>
Its pretty amazing.

Its sad that the fan base is all reddit fedora street memers.

But you should keep reading them. They get better and better until they dont.
>>
They're really good. Just avoid #6, which is written by a different guy and is shit.
>>
>>7384675
Long time fan. Actually, Hitchiker's guide is pretty much my bible. It being a reminder to me that nobody has any idea what they're talking about and it's always more complicated than it seems and the whole thing is obsurd. Life, that is. In short, it's an amazing series but I think it should have ended after "So long, and thanks for all the fish"
That ending was absolutely perfect and the following book was meh.
>>
>>7384689
>>7384703

Thanks. I'm going to keep reading the PDF until tomorrow then buy it from B&N, it's only $20 which is a steal for 5 books.

Seems like it has a huge following judging from Goodreads and only chicks are trying to shit on it.
>>
>>7384675
Hitchiker's guide is basically my bible. It's a solid and thorough reminder of several things: Nobody has any idea what they're talking about. Nothing makes sense. Life is absurd. And it's always more complicated than it seems. But I think the ending of "So long and thanks for all the fish" was perfect and the series should have stopped there.
>>
>>7384715
>>7384721
Whoops. Thought the first one didn't post. My beezy.
>>
>>7384721
>>7384715

Thanks. I'm going to keep reading the PDF until tomorrow then buy it from B&N, it's only $20 which is a steal for 5 books.

Seems like it has a huge following judging from Goodreads and only chicks are trying to shit on it.
>>
You'll need something more to hold you over until January because you'll likely binge read through them all in a few sittings.

They do their job really well; I'm not sure I've laughed harder at any books more than I have with these. The radio series (what the books are based off of) is great as well.
>>
>>7384715
>obsurd
I should type slower.
>>
>>7384728
There's only one book series that's made me laugh harder:
"John dies at the end"
and
"This book is full of spiders, seriously dude don't touch it"
>>
>>7384721
In "The salmon of doubt, hitchiking the galaxy one last time" Douglas Adams implies he thinks the same. "Mostly harmless" was apparently a reflection of the boring and shitty year he was having while writing it.
>>
>>7384675
I've been waiting forever for some other hitchiker's guide fans to show themselves on here and the thread came and died in five minutes.
>>
ITT: Leddit
>>
>>7384765
You know how pathetic and lonely you look when you claim exclusivity to an online discussion forum?
>>
I felt like after the first they immediately dropped in quality and got worse and worse. They almost read like different books to me, and are bogged down by terse british 'humour'. The first is accessible, funny, and concise while the others ramble and don't know which direction to go in.
>>
>>7384771
Yeah, but the first one didn't have the Rain God.
>>
File: images.jpg (51 KB, 485x720) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
51 KB, 485x720
>>7384734
I was going to mention John Dies at the End, but figured it wasn't relevant.

The first one was great, but the sequel seemed more formulaic, it didn't have the special, unique appeal that the first one had.

Comedy is hard to pull off in a written format of book length.

Another one of my favorite comedy books is pic related.
>>
>>7384771
Did you form that opinion halfway through restaurant at the end of the universe? I found that one was missing direction too but it picked back up with life, the universe, and everything and stayed strong right through SLATFATF
>>
>>7384775
Will check it out. Thanks.
>>
It's nerd culture sci-fi garbage, just stick to the classics and read some Romances even dime novels if you want something light.
>>
>>7384793
Shut the fuck up you pretentious faggot. Just because it's accessible to the layman doesn't make it "garbage." Contrary to what you people seem to think, there is middle ground between "The great american novel" and "Complete shit"
>>
>>7384797
>pretentious
I showed no false pretense, it's obvious you're one of those idiots who spew buzzwords when called out on being middle-brow.
>there is middle ground between "The great american novel" and "Complete shit"
And clearly this series falls under the latter category.
>>
>>7384797
who are
>you people
?
>>
>>7384793
wait have you actually read it? I can't believe you would reccomend Harlequin over this. If for no other reason, people should read it for the cultural currency, especially if there just looking for something light and enjoyable. If yr gonna read as you put it "garbage," at least read relevant garbage.
>>
>>7384802
Apparently anyone who doesn't willingly read the written equivalent of feces.
>>
>>7384804
>wait have you actually read it?
Yes
>If for no other reason, people should read it for the cultural currency
>relevant
Like I said, it's nerd culture garbage, something that's avoided by anyone who even slightly values themselves as a person.
>>
>>7384802
You can't have been here long if that accusation went over your head.

>>7384799
>No false pretense
>"It's nerd culture scifi garbage"
>No actual explanation as to how it was so unworthy of being read.
Enjoy having no women in your life.
>>
>>7384809
>>7384805

lol.
>no pretense
>>
>>7384799
not that guy but it is pretentious to think obscure pulp is superior to pop lit simply for what it is. If you make categorical statements saying one group is better than the other without any qualifiers you come off as a hipster (in this case defined as someone who likes things because they aren't mainstream).
>>
>>7384812
>>7384815
He'll kill himself soon enough. Let it go.
>>
>>7384785
I actually found Restaurant to be the best of them (first obviously discounted). It seemed different, but still more than bearable. I started losing my feel for the series after that one
>>
>>7384809
I don't really undertstand your argument but I'll agree to disagree.
>>
>>7384810
It has terrible prose, has flat generic characters, and relies on absurd spontaneity to move the plot forward.
Also, whom are you quoting?
>Enjoy having no women in your life.
Nice projection, it's nerd culture pseuds like you who never get laid.
>>7384812
Point out the false pretense in my post.
>>7384815
>obscure pulp
Romance and dime novels are not obscure by definition.
>>7384819
Says the nerd.
>>
>>7384820
same boat, its been a while but I remember enjoying Restaurant even more. I def read it more times.
>>
>>7384823
are you saying obscure pulp doesn't exist?
>>
>>7384831
I never said that, I said that Romances and dime novels are not obscure.
>>
>>7384823
>Point out the pretense
>it's something that's avoided by anyone who even slightly values themselves as a person.

It's obvious that you're an insufferable cunt and nobody loves you. Go die.
>>
>>7384810
>muh secret club
>calling others pretentious
We're entering "just pretending to be retarded" levels of irony
>>
>>7384834
>It's obvious that you're an insufferable cunt and nobody loves you.
Nice projection, I have many friends of both sexes and have had sex multiple times, in contrast to the geeks who enjoy this sort of filth.
>Go die
Why, because I pointed out your garbage taste?
>>
Redditors get real mad when you tell them their meme book is shit.
>>
>>7384675
I was in high school when I read through them, and I read them one right after the other, so maybe it was just fatigue, but I remember them getting worse and worse as they go on. Like they were trying to hard or something.
I've been meaning to reread them, though, so that might help my opinion.
>>
>>7384823

Everyone ignore the flamboyant troll and go on with your lives
>>
>>7384851
Oh yes, please ignore all posts that aren't part of the echochamber, especially after they've called us out.
>>
>>7384853

No need to get assblasted buddy. Do you have nothing better to do with your Monday night? Not everything you read needs to be high brow, unless you're seeking to impress which is usually due to insecurity.
>>
>>7384675
I love this book, there are so many funny references to it in pop culture. The secret to the universe is 42 amirite? Haha golden.
>>
>>7384856
>No need to get assblasted buddy
Says the poster telling others to do die because they called him out on his shit taste.
>Do you have nothing better to do with your Monday night?
My day is over.
>unless you're seeking to impress which is usually due to insecurity.
Typical pseud, thinks that people only read highbrow as some form of challenge, or to impress, not knowing that people with taste are naturally attracted to fine works and repulsed to middlebrow trash.
Anything middlebrow is worse than anything lowbrow, at least lowbrow things don't have any false pretenses.
The reason why I said to read Romances over this garbage is because while light, they still aid you in the learning the common sentiment and emotions of the time that influenced literature, and because this is a literature board, not a book board.
>>
>>7384869
>Says the poster telling people go die.
No. That was me. I left a while ago and just scrolled past your insufferable cuntiness again. Seriously go kill yourself. If you literally cannot see where you were pretentious, and think that you were just objectively right in calling things "The literary equivalent of feces" and
"Something avoided by anyone who values themselves even slightly"
Then you are not just autistic, but an asshole. You don't get to be autistic AND an asshole. You should just kill yourself.
>>
>>7384888
>literally cannot see
I am not legally blind.
>pretentious
Nice buzzword, it's obvious you misuse it to the point where it's nothing but a buzzword to you at this point.
>Then you are not just autistic
I've never been diagnosed with a mental illness, it is usually the socially incompetent nerds who enjoy this tripe who do have mental illnesses.
This is a literature, it would behoove you to perhaps make this thread on one of its proper containment boards such as /v/ or /tv/, this series has had games and films made about it, it would fit right in.
>>
>>7384869

Autism: The Post
>>
>>7384927
Nice buzzword see >>7384901
>>
>>7384901
>Says the poster telling people go die.
No. That was me. I left a while ago and just scrolled past your insufferable cuntiness again. Seriously go kill yourself. If you literally cannot see where you were pretentious, and think that you were just objectively right in calling things "The literary equivalent of feces" and
"Something avoided by anyone who values themselves even slightly"
Then you are not just autistic, but an asshole. You don't get to be autistic AND an asshole. You should just kill yourself.
>>
>>7384938
Now it's just obvious that you're just fishing for the last reply.
>>
>>7384943
lolol
>Waiting around to get told how autistic he is again
>Thinking everyone else is doing the same.
>>
>>7384984
Whom are you quoting?
>>
>>7384766
>forum
whatever you say fedora man.
>>
>>7384689
>fedora street memers
What does that even mean?
>>
>>7384675
i found it interesting
last novel was meh at best.
movie didnt do it justice at all, not that they ever do but this one was almost an insult
>>
>>7385319
It means that they meme streetly
>>
Total crap after the first arc.
>>
>>7384703
I believe Adams stated his intentions to write a sixth book in the series after ending the fifth one on such a sad note.
>>
>>7387605
I think he's talking about "And another thing" which is written by Eoin colfer or something like that. Douglas was actually sick of hitchiker's guide when he began "The salmon of doubt" as a third dirk gently novel. He came back to the project after a long break and decided that those jokes would make a much better hitchiker book than dirk gently, but never got it finished.
>>
>>7384675
At the age of 23, I read the first half of the first book before dropping it.
The humour mostly missed (a few excellent lines but few and far between), the structure was poor and none of it was as clever as many people would have you believe.
I might give it another go at some point, maybe on a plane or something. But it's certainly an overrated book.
>>
File: szarvasmarha1.jpg (352 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
szarvasmarha1.jpg
352 KB, 1280x853
>>7384675
You should know that this started out as a BBC radioplay. The books more or less adapt and expand that.
3rd, 4th and 5th book were written as novels.

I would say the 1-2-3 are pretty good books, and radioplay 1 and 2 are also great.

Later books somewhat lack the power of the first ones.

Give a try to the Dirk Gently books, both of them are great.
>>
>>7385319
It means the poster is a former Redditor who got too many downvotes to uphold his internet cred so he left for 4chan.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.