[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books about wizards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: wizard_by_gerezon-d5d1i0h.jpg (362 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
wizard_by_gerezon-d5d1i0h.jpg
362 KB, 600x840
Does any know of any books where wizards are super powerful and only a small part of the population like in warhammer fantasy or in the elder scrolls lore?
>>
3.5 players handbook
>>
>>7384607
Bumping
>>
Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson

Not exactly wizards, but mistborn are characters with semi-magical powers like wizards and they're extremely rare among the population and are ultra powerful in comparison.
>>
Op here, alternatively does anyone know of any good steam punk books?
>>
>>7384627
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/steampunk
>>
>>7384617
Not op but I just read a bunch of reviews about how that series must have been written for twelve year olds and the characters were cardboard
>>
>>7384629
Sanderson has some YA novels, and the Mistborn series definitely isn't comparable to them in terms of subject matter and themes.
>>
>>7384628
Op here
Thanks
>>
>>7384607

Yes:

1. the "Black Company" cycle

Quite a few books and most of it is good reading material. There are 2 categories of wizards in this book: weak shitty wizards (like the ones working in the mercenary band) who are still very rare and are worth 300 soldiers each and grand wizards that have been entombed a few hundred years ago just in case.
Now they have been unburied by some asshole and the mercenary companies are fighting wars up and down several continents for and against them.

2. the "Traitor Son" cycle, starting with "The Red Knight"

Again, medieval mercenaries in a medieval world that is TOTALLY NOT medieval Europe, no way.
There are a handful of wizards that are mostly very powerful and either function as advisors to the Kings/Queens or as isolationist powerhungry assholes out in the wilderness. One of them is the main antagonist for the first 2 books, a wizard named Thorn that a few decades ago worked for the king, then left court and has lived in the monster ridden wilderness ever since, getting more powerful and is not a half-wizard, half-tree Lich trying to take over totally not medieval England, the absolute madman.
Basically Master Neloth on crack.

3. the Locke Lamora books (Scott Lynch)

Medieval city, protag is a thief and his bunch of thief friends. One day, they are forced to work with some asshole called the Falconer. Too late they notice he has a bunch of rings tattooed to his wrists, marking him as member of the only wizard order left in the world. They eventually do a few pretty bad things to him (because he is an evil sadistic asshole) and he in turn LITERALLY goes full terminator.
Good reads, but if you want the full wizard overdose, you need to read the entire circle up to the end of the third book.

4. the "First Law" cycle (Abercrombie)

Breddy gud! Medieval fantasy action, wars, actually believable "heroes" and a butcher living in a mountain village that turns out to be one of the last truly endboss-tier wizards in the world. I already spoiler'd too much, but Bayaz is pretty boss.
Also, much reading material.
>>
File: 1436745069736.gif (171 KB, 218x218) Image search: [Google]
1436745069736.gif
171 KB, 218x218
>>7386087

Also it should be noted that ALL of those titles/cycles are great.
The length of the descriptions is not indicative of the quality of the books, I was just getting tired of listing them up because all you LITERALLY have to do is check THIS FUCKING WEBSITE

http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/

and/or use google.
>>
i actually like fantasy, but when authors call their series "Cycles" i want to shit in their mouths.
>>
File: IMG_20150928_164756.jpg (53 KB, 632x335) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150928_164756.jpg
53 KB, 632x335
>>7384627
Shit taste
>>
>>7386087
> not a half-wizard, half-tree Lich
> not

*now
>>
>>7384607
R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing made sorcerers cool again, at least to me. The fire-breathing dragon heads of the Anagogic Schools, the incandescence of the Cishaurim, and geometries of the Gnostic Schools, etc. You'd have to wait for more than a book for any major sorcerous scenes, but they're well worth it when they come.

You might like C. S. Friedman's Magister trilogy and Jack Vance's Rhialto the Marvellous novellas, though I suspect neither will quite hit the mark with you.

Then, if you're young, there's always Raistlin.

>>7386087
I second Cook.
>>
>>7384607
The Bible by God.
>>
>>7386098
thanks for the link, kumpel
>>
>>7386133
Was that picture supposed to make your point? It didn't.
>>
>>7384607
The Lord of the Rings
>>
>>7386087
>ne day, they are forced to work with some asshole called the Falconer

>Locke's fucking reaction when he realises the Falconer is a Bondsmage

I laughed pretty hard at that bit.
>>
A Confederacy of Dunces was about a wizard
>>
>>7384607
The Witcher series
>>
Perhaps you didn't mention this because it's too obvious, but Lord of the Rings
>>
>>7386133

What is the something? Seeing as how you agree?

Is this more than a puffed up "I dislike it"
>>
>>7384607
The Powder Mage trilogy.
>>
>>7384629
The series starts out decent enough the first few chapters of book one & then turns to complete shit. A lot of focus is put on a "romance" that plays out like puppy love between kids. I bought the books to read while deployed on a carrier. It got so bad I just gave up halfway through the second book & slept in my off time until the next port.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.