[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lyricism/Poetry thread? Struggling with writers' block
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 658x602) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 658x602
Lyricism/Poetry thread?

Struggling with writers' block lately. Just don't feel like I'm writing anything of quality, lyrically. Are there any generic habits I can start forming - like maybe writing in a specific formula every day or something - that can help me to improve? Really what is there to do other than simply writing more?
>>
Dump what you've written.
>>
i thought writers block only existed to novelists? don't poets only write when they get inspired?

go for a walk outside always helps me think thoughts
>>
AND IF THERE'S CRACK IN A BASEMENT
>>
>>7384549
Haha I can, it's pretty fucking shit though I'm not gonna lie. I've only been writing for a few months.

>>7384570
Yeah I think you're right lol. I guess my issue is finding inspiration, any time I feel "inspired" i either don't have a pen and paper on hand or I'm just not in a position to start writing. I'm reluctant to be "that guy" who randomly whips out his pen and paper in public too.
>>
>>7384546
read a different poet every day

>>7384595
take notes on your phone
>>
File: Drakensberg, South Africa.jpg (280 KB, 1395x742) Image search: [Google]
Drakensberg, South Africa.jpg
280 KB, 1395x742
>>7384546
One thing you can do is stop listening to hip hop. Hip hop is lazy music and its lyrics are obvious and uncreative. Most rappers write their lyrics just fifteen minutes before recording and have no sense of beauty or literary skill; their goal is simply to keep rhyming for as long as possible and survive until the next bar. If you want to write poetry you cannot think like a rapper. You need to take some time and pay attention to composition and pattern instead of relying on instinct and emotion. Only after becoming familiar with the processes of creative writing will you be able to write easily and confidently, not before.
>>
>>7384595

yeah man, take notes on your phone! people will just think youre texting and its easier to flesh things out that way (no scribbling)

i think good advice, too, is to just always be reading poetry :)
>>
>>7384658
Hm I'm not sure what hip-hop artists you're listening to, but there are quite a number of artists doing more than just trying to "rhyme the next bar". That being said, I listen to far more than hip-hop, really, hip-hop is one of my least listened to genres. I mostly listen to drone and noise music, but that doesn't really have lyrics... Folk music is the most lyrical music I listen to, but even then I don't think folk singers are often very poetic necessarily, more just very emotional, I'm not sure how to explain it. But thank you for the rest of your post, I think I do need to read more poetry. I've only really read some Walt Whitman, EE Cummings, and Jon Milton. I guess the high school classics as well lol but I should expand. Who are some good poets that you would recommend?
>>
>>7384574

Crackheads stand adjacent.

Fuck.
>>
Aire's verses in Pigeon and Iron Galaxy are the pinnacle of Hip Hop lyricism.

In this frigid fragile capsule
That allows you to fly south before the winter winds trap you
I wrap my "hell I made it" wetsuit stitch
So I can swim in elevators crazy wet through piss
I'm just a pigeon with one mile left
That doggy-paddles through this bullshit ocean of death

Every day is no frills, empty krills
Broken 40 bottles and MCs with skills
I rest my head on 115
But miracles only happen on 34th, so I guess life is mean
And death is the median
And purgatory is the mode that we settle in
>>
Nigga what about kendrick sing about me

My plans rather vindictive
Everybody's a victim in my eyes
When I ride it's a murderous rhythm
And outside became pitch black
A demon glued to my back whispering, "Get em"
I got em, and I ain't give a fuck
>>
>>7384959
Lots of awesome lyrics from Can Ox. IMO clouddead has some literary flourishes on par with those of CanOx, but now where near the consistency.
>>
I've also always been fond of Mike D's verse from 3 Minute Rule.

Excuse me young lady, I don't mean to trouble ya
But you're lookin' so fly inside your BMW
I got lucky, I brought home the kitten
Before I got busy, I slipped on the mitten
Can't get better odds because I'm a sure thing
Proud Mary keeps on turning and rolling like a Ring-Ding

Not perfect grammar, always perfect timing
The Mike stands for money and the D is for diamonds
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.