[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm doing a six credit hour workshop, two hours a day three
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: shakespeare.jpg (111 KB, 736x549) Image search: [Google]
shakespeare.jpg
111 KB, 736x549
I'm doing a six credit hour workshop, two hours a day three days a week for three months, on shakespeare to finish my Masters degree. I need to buy a very large number of shakespeare's works. I'm still very lacking in collecting classics, and thus have not chosen a uniform publisher for these types of things.

Over christmas break I need to do that because I don't want to waste a bunch of money buying these books just to replace them down the road to have a pretty book shelf.

What does /lit/ advise? What are my options for publishers who cover a great deal of the classics, preferably beyond Shakespeare? I want hard back, uniform, with nothing silly like colored pictures on the covers or preferably even colored spines. I have no real budget, I just ask that presented options still be in print or widely available.
>>
>>7384436
The Great Books of the Western World has Shakespeare split up in two books. You could probably get them pretty cheap.
>>
>>7384493
Only two books? And it isn't tiny print, thin pages, etc?
>>
Shit, matching simplistic hardcover books. It's the dream anon. TV shows and movies piss me off because they make it seem like everyone with books has this setup.
>>
>>7384509
I figured since I'm looking for a single author I might get lucky.

The rest of my book shelf of older books is about 90% brown in varying shades, that's what I've done up to this point.
>>
Bump

This isn't a standard question? No recommendations for publishers of nicely bound classics?
>>
>masters degree
>Shakespeare

You're going to want to save as much money as you can before you work at Starbucks.

Go for the big collection printed on bible paper.
>>
The Oxford or Riverside Shakespeare are great, especially since you're finishing your Master's.
>>
>>7384504
Actually, the print is tiny and the pages are small. I just mentioned them because they have all Shakespeare and are cheap.
>>
>>7384835
I'm a high school English teacher. I'm getting a masters to get paid 6k a year more. I'm taking Shakespeare as one of my few electives. Whatever dude.

>>7384861
Not too worried about cheap. More into finding nice editions to put on the shelf in my office.

>>7384857
I'll check these out.
>>
>>7384509
You could always get your books rebound.
>>
You want a pretty book case why? Even if you could find all the best translations and editions of books in a single publisher (you can't), this seems like a stupid goal.

If I went to someone's house an their bookshelves were filled with books all from the same publisher I'd assume they were a grossly sentimental individual, the kind of person who hangs folk art on their walls with cutesy sayings about reading and home being where the heart is, etc. Or one of those creeps who lingers in bookshops because they like the "atmosphere." I'd assume the sentimental posture was only a cover for some sort of fundamental degeneracy in their character.
>>
>>7384912
>You want a pretty book case why?
I just tend towards muted, samey colors for my books. I appreciate a well made book and I don't want my office shelves to be a rainbow. I think you're really over thinking my post. If I'm spending potentially hundreds of dollars on books anyway they'd might as well match if they can.
>>
>>7384919
trust me mate, people with think you're a serial killer, or else some sort of mysterious millionaire living on long island.
>>
Just pick up an Arden Collected Works. You don't need dozens of separate volumes, let alone in hardback.
>>
>>7384866
Norton has a complete edition with lots of extra critical content on amazon for right around $60. Been eyeing it myself. I think it's Pelican that has a complete set as well for only $35ish, but with significantly less (like 1000 fewer pages) critical content.
>>
>>7384969
>>7384436

Or, if you insist, you could look for the Yale series on e-bay or some similar site. They are compact, well-constructed, and bound in an understated and sensible blue canvas.
>>
>>7384983
This is the type of option I was hoping for. The blue isn't bad. If no other good options turn up I'll check ebay for a set of those in good condition. Thanks.

I really don't enjoy reading from large collections. I'd much rather have small books than one big one.
>>
Bed time bump. So far the yale series is the only one I'm considering. Very very interested in an in-print option that is similarly uniform and tasteful. It appears even the best quality yale series currently available online outside of attempting to buy all of them individually are just barely acceptable in quality.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.