[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Australian literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: WakeInFrightAd1[1].jpg (135 KB, 300x708) Image search: [Google]
WakeInFrightAd1[1].jpg
135 KB, 300x708
I've barely read any Australian stuff apart from Wake in Fright which I enjoyed. Anyway, looking for recommendations. Is Cloud Street as good as everyone seems to say it is? People really get their dicks hard over that one.
>>
I find that when a protagonist shares your nationality it just adds another level with which you can relate to them, and thus I think I have a kind of default appreciation for Australian film and literature that I don't have for American shit.
>>
>>7384096

I got wake in fright recently, glad you like it. Monkey Grip and postcards from surfers by Helen Garner are good. Death in Brunswick by Boyd Oxlade is dope too. Good poets include John Forbes, Chris Wallaace crabbe, Thomas w Shapcott. Good contmporary short fiction writer is Tony Birch

Those collections 'best australian stories/poetry' are really good too.

I havent read cloud street, is that Tim Winton. Omly books by him I've read were those childrens books about the footballer, they were sick tho
>>
The Shiralee was fun, a less harrowing The Road with more fights

And then there's the classic On The Beach, which feels very British
>>
>>7384139
Wow thanks good stuff
>>
>>7384096
Peter Carey is great. Read his collected short stories. Probably my favorite collection. I've also read Oscar and Lucinda which was good, but a bit long for what it was. Going to read Illywhacker and The True History of the Kelly Gang soon, meant to quite good as well.
>>
You may have already read this but I really enjoyed Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey when I was younger. In some sections it feels like it was written for teenagers, but I haven't ready anything else that feels so comfy while also feeling so Australian.
>>
>>7384096
Praise by Andrew McGahan is Australian NEET core. Inspired me to do absolutely nothing desu
>>
what makes it "australian" literature? written by australians, like Greg Egan?

the characters all wear hats with corks dangling from them?

they end their sentences with "shit, ay"?

*published ausfag here*
>>
read the plains by murnane
>>
>>7384096
The Australians on /lit/ should set themselves the task of making an official list of our national canon. If nothing else it would provide an opportunity to banter and hang shit on each other. I'll get the list started...
The Battlers by Kylie Tennant
The Pea Pickers by Eve Langley
The Harp in the South by Ruth Park
The Well by Elizabeth Jolley
The Sundowners by Jon Cleary
>>
>>7385375
cont...
The Savage Crows by Robert Drewe
Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
Praise by Andrew McGhann
Tell Morning This by Kylie Tennant
The Glass Canoe by David Ireland
>>
File: DSCF0531.jpg (3 MB, 4288x3216) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0531.jpg
3 MB, 4288x3216
>>7385381
Relevant
>>
>>7385375
>>7385381

My input:
The man who loved children -- Christina Stead
The mystery of the hansom Cab -- Fergus Hume
Wake in fright--Kenneth Cook
Voss--Patrick white
True History of the Kelly gang --Peter Carey
The Broken Shore/Truth--Peter temple
Ransom--David Malouf (or any other Malouf)

Notables
Man of two tribes--Arthur Upfield
The empty beach --Peter Corris
>>
>>7385470
Some good picks there anon, wasn't aware of either of those books in your notables list, i'll have to check them out
>>
>>7384096
A late education is a wonderful war meoir by an australian journalist.
>>
The plains - Gerald Murnane
The bush - Don Watson
Tree of man - Patrick white.
>>
Voss by Patrick White
>>
>>7385506
they're both detective novels that i enjoyed a lot, both i would say have a distinct Australian feel.
>>
>>7385375
We should do one of those chart things with our basic Australian canon on it
>>
>>7384096
loved the film, but didn't realise this was a book. how do they compare?
>>
Voss is on my long list, is it good?
>>
>>7384139

Any more poets? This threads been pretty focused on novels.

>>7387174

This sounds cool
>>
>>7385375
I really enjoyed The Pea Pickers, apparently Eve Langley wrote half a dozen other novels that were never published due to her declining mental health. They are all kept in the NSW state library
>>
>>7387905

>Any more poets?

les murray
>>
>>7389190
I don't like les Murray or Robert Thompson. All too nostalgic and airy fairy. Feels like just pretty words put together with much sense of direction.
I think you can't go past banjo Patterson and Henry lawson desu senpai. But Chris Wallace crabbe is pretty good, and I know j.m.coetzee used to write a lot of poetry, but are we counting him as Australian?
>>
>>7384722
That was just To Kill A Mockingbird down under.

>>7384213
Peter Carey is great.

>>7385470
Good picks from this anon.

The only other thing I'd add is A Fortunate Life by A.B Facey.

/spoiler/ Biographies count right? /spoiler/
>>
>>7389372

I wouldn't count coetzee as Aus, he moved here in like 2000 right? I haven't read him tho t b h

Fun fact: Chris Wallace Crabbe lives around the corner from my gf and i saw him walking his dog once and we had a chat. He seemed pretty surprised to be recognised on the street.
>>
I have no connection to Australian literature despite being born and raised here. I just cannot relate to it and it bores me to tears. Probably due to the fact I have lived in a big city my entire life and have no conscious connection to Australia culture. It seems any form of culture we have is difficult to appreciate due to it being overwhelmed by U.S influences, as with many other places. The difference is it has not been settled for very long so it's kind of to be expected
>>
File: decameron1.jpg (72 KB, 960x488) Image search: [Google]
decameron1.jpg
72 KB, 960x488
>>7391264
being a city faggot, not living in the bush

There's your problem right there
>>
>>7391264
The popular notion of 'Australian culture' is very one dimensional. You say you have no connection to Australian culture because you don't live in the bush. Guess what, most Australians live in the cities and pretty much always have. The narrative of white men riding horses in the outback has been heavily romanticised and frankly doesn't express what life in Australia has been like for most Australians for most of history. "Culture" is an impossible thing to try and define, especially when, as you say, life in the city is pretty much just like life in any other big western city in the world. The problem is Australians are so insecure about their culture that they try to hang it on stupid shit like beer, vegemite and BBQs etc, none of which are at all uniquely Australian.
>>
I'm Australian and I recommend Patrick White, particularly the Tree of Man.

Also, the Harp in the South by Ruth Park is really good.
>>
Aus lit is actually bretty good compared to say Canada, who have a substantially larger population.
>>
Miles Franklin is good.

actually a womyn tho
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Franklin
>>
>>7392267
In that sense you could say we're like Singapore
>>
Has anyone read Nick Cave's novels? Saw a movie he wrote and it was pretty meh. His music can be nice though.
>>
>>7392311
Care to elaborate?
>>
anything Don Watson
>>
>>7392545
nah haven't read it. I think its more like poems than a narrative kind of thing
>>
My country, Australian poetry & short stories, two hundred years.
>>
>>7393175
No, he has a novel. And the Angel Saw the Ass or something. And Death of Bunny Monroe? I'm not sure, but I believe he has two novels in addition to poetry and whatever else.
>>
>>7392545
God I hate to imagine what a Nick Cave novel is like. The only music if his I can enjoy is The Birthday Party tbqh
>>
>>7384096
Check out Randolph Stow and Peter Carey
>>
>ctrl-f barbara baynton
>zerrroooo ressullttsss

damn Bush Studies is a classic
>>
>>7395259
Courtney Barnett has a nice cover of Shivers. Also has some nice lyrics in her own works.

It's in the penguin classics, And the Ass Saw the Angel. Haven't read it. Not sure if I will.
>>
>>7395259

>not being a fan of "where the wild roses grow"
>not being a fan of "Red right hand" or "ship song"

What is wrong with you? Do you even Australia bro?
>>
Australians can read?
>>
>>7395733
u wot m8
>>
>>7392545
I've read And the Ass saw the angel. Its in a sort of southern gothic style so it hasn't really got an australian feel, but its still dramatic and worth the read
>>
File: 1448016294234.jpg (53 KB, 685x567) Image search: [Google]
1448016294234.jpg
53 KB, 685x567
>>7395849
>>
Joan Lindsay's Picnic at Hanging Rock is pretty good.

I read Tim Winton's The Riders but it didn't make much of an impression.

Tried the first Peter Corris book (The Dying Trade) but it felt too much like a Chandler/Ross Macdonald imitation - I'd really just prefer to re-read either of those writers instead.
>>
>ctrl+f
>no Colleen

>ctrl+f
>no McCullough

;_; Every damn time. Her best novels, in my opinion, are the ones set in ancient Rome, but that could just be my content bias (since that's my favorite historical period). She wrote the bestselling The Thorn Birds, set during colonial Australia, and The Ladies of Missalonghi, set in Australia just before the first world war.
>>
>>7384096
Got to say i'm impressed that this thread is still going and has some half decent contributions. I didn't realise that anyone on /lit/ was Australian or cared about Australian literature.
>>
I finished True History by Peter Carey last week and fuck me, liked it a lot more than I was expecting to. There's just something about bushrangers that I can't not enjoy.
>>
>>7395449

It sounds bad. A bloke I know said it's really great, but he also told me Rimbaud was the reincarnation of Shakespeare and On The Road was the height of the novel as a form, so idk
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.