[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Russian books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 12_years_a_slav.jpg (44 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
12_years_a_slav.jpg
44 KB, 480x720
What are some good entry-level Russian adult books? Like the Russian equivalent to Lord of the Flies or The Catcher in the Rye or something, but doesn't necessarily have to be fiction.
>>
>>7383676
>sticky
>by origin
>russian
>>
File: NO.gif (2 MB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
NO.gif
2 MB, 400x286
>There's a famous russian urban fantasy writer who hasn't been translated into fucking anything I can read.
I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS.
>>
>>7383682
Dostoevsky and Tolstoy aren't entry level.
>>
>>7383688
they kind of are
>>
>>7383688
That was my problem. I have no idea how the recommendations line up with what I'm looking for, aside from the language.
>>
>>7383676
Twelve Chairs.
>>
>>7383701
Thanks anon, that looks perfect.
>>
>>7383689
only in the sense they are well known. war and peace is not an easy or entry level read.
>>
>>7383739
no it absolutely is. it's only daunting cause it's "long" but tolstoy and dostoevsky are extremely simple reads.
>>
>>7383688
>>7383692
>>7383739
>>7383743

I'm the person that recommended Twelve Chairs, because it's my favourite book and many people don't know about it, but the Dostoevsky and Tolstoy that I've read (Crime and Punishment and The Death of Ivan Ilyich) hasn't been hard to read at all.

Actually they might be easier than The Catcher in the Rye, it's hard for me to judge because I read Catcher in English and the Russians in my first language.
>>
Eugene Onegin - Alexander Pushkin
A Hero of Our Time - Mikhail Lermontov
Fathers and Children - Ivan Turganev
>>
>>7383676
READ
EAD
AD
A
TICKY
ICKY
CKY
KY
Y
>>
I suggest you to read Anton Chekhov's short stories, “The Bet” then, if you like it, “The Steppe” which is significantly longer.
>>
>>7383818
>>7383856
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them.
>>7383824
Read the thread.
>>
Anything by Daniil Karms
>>
>>7383684

Starobinets?
>>
>>7383892
*Kharms, sorry for the typo
>>
>>7383895
No. Sadly I forgot his name. All I know is that it is a him and his son was kidnapped for ransom and then murdered.
>>
>>7383913
Belyanin?
>>
>>7383927
Yes, I think so, thank you!
I'd know for sure if it was the same one as the original, but my internet history only goes back to august. It was either this one and I want to read Tsar Gorokh's Detective Agency, or another russian urban fantasy with a policemen protag, except he might be an alcoholic.
>>
>>7383676
Tolstoy - Childhood, Boyhood and Youth
>>
>>7383927
Do you know a website that lists russian urban fantasy authors? I can't find any and it's driving me crazy.
>>
>>7383967
No, sorry. I just remembered that case.

Have you tried looking for sites in Russian or have you only searched for lists in English?
>>
>>7383967
https://fantlab.ru/bygenre?sort=rating&lang=rus&form=&wg22=on&wg19=on&page=1
>>
>>7384000
Aw man, you'd be a life saver if I could read russian.

>>7383982
Sadly I only have english and german at my disposal.

Anyway, I'm pretty certain that the MC was a cop or a detective and was battling with alcoholism. That's the only vague remembrance I have and I don't even know if that's right.
>>
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4594585.Victor_Pelevin
>>
>>7384067
this looks like fun, thank you
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.