[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm new. Can anyone link me something simple obtain or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 1446472364671.jpg (17 KB, 348x260) Image search: [Google]
1446472364671.jpg
17 KB, 348x260
I'm new.

Can anyone link me something simple obtain or read, or generally something to start off in /lit/?

Thanks.
>>
>>7383562
Check the sticky and the wiki.
>>
>>7383562
Don't fall for the memes and enjoy your ride. Also this >>7383568
>>
>>7383562
not greeks
>>
>>7383562
Check out the works of Theg Reeks
>>
>>7383562
What have you read already?
>>
>tfw you fell for the start with the greeks meme
>>
>>7383576
Honestly nothing that relates to /lit/, I'm looking into:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Without_Qualities
..right now, found it in the wiki.
>>
Έλληνες
>>
Codex Seraphinianus
>>
>>7383589
I don't think someone that hasn't read any lit yet will be able to fully appreciate that book, it's quite complicated and extremely long.

Even if you're very smart, if you don't have experience with themes and symbolism and whatnot, a lot will go over your head trying to read a book like that
>>
What kind of literature do you want to read?
>>
>>7383639
At this point, anything that isn't as >>7383629 says, "complicated" and so on.
>>
>>7383562

Either the Voynich Ms, or the Starter Kit in the sticky (from which I recommend Fahrenheit 451 [but keep in mind Bradbury didn't have in mind censorship but the corrosive effect of television on intelligent thought], Of Mice and Men, 1984, or BNW).
>>
http://ptchanculto.binhoster.com/books/-Lit-%20Recommended%20Reading/
>>
>>7383642
There is a sticker with a lot of references and a starter guide. but “big books” are quite difficult and lengthy to go through so you might prefer to commence a set of selected short stories. I personally recommend the following titles and short stories collections, in any order you like. It looks like a lot to go through but most aren't longer than forty pages.

“Tales of the Alhambra” by Washington Irving (U.S.A., 1851)
“Mosses from an Old Manse” by Nathaniel Hawthorne (U.S.A., 1846)
“Mystery Tales of Edgar Allan Poe” by Edgar Allan Poe (U.S.A., 1907)
“Mysteries of the Worm” by Robert Bloch (U.S.A., 1993)
“The Poems and Stories of Fitz-James O'Brien” by Fitz-James O'Brien (U.S.A., 1881)
“The Apple-Tree Table and Other Sketches” by Herman Melville (U.S.A., 2010)
“The Shadow and the Flash” by Jack London (U.S.A., 1903)
“The King in Yellow” by Robert William Chambers (U.S.A., 1895)
“Dagon and Other Macabre Tales” by Howard Phillips Lovecraft (U.S.A., 1965)
“My Aunt Margaret's Mirror” by Scott Walter (England, 1828)
“The Judge's House” by Bram Stoker (England, 1891)
“The Silver Hatchet” by Arthur Conan Doyle (England, 1883)
“Markheim” by Robert Louis Stevenson (England, 1886)
“The Finest Story in the World” by Rudyard Kipling (England, 1890)
“The Door in the Wall” by Herbert George Wells (England, 1906)
“The Red Room” by Herbert George Wells (England, 1902)
“The Man-Wolf and Other Tales” by Émile Erckmann and Alexandre Chatrian (France, 1976)
“One of Cleopatra's Nights and Other Fantastic Romances” by Théophile Gautier (France, 1882)
“Selected Tales of Guy de Maupassant” by Guy de Maupassant (France, 1950)
“Arabesques” by Nikolai Gogol (Russia, 1835)
“The Tales of the Late Ivan Petrovich Belkin” by Aleksandr Pushkin (Russia, 1831)
“The Wall” by Leonid Andreyev (Russia, 1902)
“Lemon” by Motojirō Kajii (Japan, 1925)
“Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories” by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa (Japan, 2004)
“The German Philistine's Horn” by Gustav Meyrink (Austria, 1909)
“Hauff's Fairy Tales” by Wilhelm Hauff (Germany, 1903)
“The Desolate Presence, and Other Uncanny Stories” by Thomas Owen (Belgium, 1984)
“Ghouls in My Grave” by Jean Ray (Belgium, 1965)
>>
>>7383660
Thanks for the list.
>>
>>7383663
You're welcome. Once you read a couple of them and found which you liked the most, make another thread and ask for further reading.
>>
READ
E
A
D

THE
H
E

FUCKING
U
C
K
I
N
G

T
I
C
K
Y
>>
>>7383562
READ STICKY. WHY DOES NO ONE READ THE STICKY. HOW DO WE MAKE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS.
>>
JVD's Collected Shorts

It's like he sums up the angst you'll find on this board.
>>
>>7383562
Infinite Jest
come back only when you've finished it
>>
>>7383801
Note, this method of emphasis will be deprecated in 2016. Please start emphasizing words in the following more compressible format:

R E A D

T H E

F U C K I N G

S T I C K Y
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.