[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw my English professor pronounces Goethe "Go-eth"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 10
File: 1448129153987.jpg (77 KB, 639x960) Image search: [Google]
1448129153987.jpg
77 KB, 639x960
>tfw my English professor pronounces Goethe "Go-eth"
>>
It's pronounced goth.
>>
>>7383130
It's pronounced "Gerta"
>>
>>7383140
I know.

>>7383137
You can't ruse me.
>>
It's pronounced "Gotye".
>>
No, it's pronounced "girth"
>>
> tfw German prof pronounces Hitler as "Heetla" and Hegel as "Ayygle"
>>
>>7383148
>I know.
I fucking hope not, because that's wrong
>>
>>7383157
>"Ayygle"
Haha, what?
>>
>>7383157
>TFW Germans make German names sound German

good thing we won the war.
>>
It's pronounced "Gooter".
>>
Actually it's pronounced "Göthe"
>>
>>7383130
It's pronounced Goi-ter
>>
File: Leonardo.gif (38 KB, 262x200) Image search: [Google]
Leonardo.gif
38 KB, 262x200
>mfw trolls are trying to convince Americans it's pronounced fucking 'Gerta'
>>
>>7383240
Nice double bluff
>>
>>7383244
And that'd make it a triple bluff
>>
>>7383240
I'm German and it's more like "Gertar". But meh, close enough, I can't pronounce all the French names either.
>>
>tfw my english prof pronounces Go-eth "Geuh Teuh"
>>
>>7383256
Quad
>>
>>7383140
stop talking shit
>>
> tfw french prof pronounces Nietzsche as 'Neetch'

this triggered me
>>
>>7383240
reverse-troll

I see what you did there
>>
Germanfag here.
It's hard to describe exactly how it's pronounced, but it's something like
>Goth-a
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y58HZdyIZfg
It's Gerta
>>
Geu-ta, is the english transliteration.
>>
>>7383290
what the fuck

is it just a meme or is it real?
>>
>>7383290
>Implying PronunciationBook is a valid source
Do you even 77 days, bro?
>>
>>7383276
And we're doing a quad stack.
>>
>>7383267
More like Guhr-teh.
Fuck it's hard to Americanize.
th = t (sometimes), oe = er (like in her), er = air. At least that's how I remembered it when I started to learn. It'll all flattens out when you get used to the language. I still have an accent, but it's better than listening to Americans smugly argue about how to say foreign words they couldn't pronounce if their lives depended on it.
>>
>>7383157
>Blah blah blah EinSHTein manifold...
>>
http://vocaroo.com/
>>
>>7383290
That's way wrong, bruv.
>>
Anglos can't handle the fact that you don't really pronounce an 'r sound but you still prepare your mouth to make that 'r' sound. As if right before the 'r' it turns into a 'u'. Ger-ta --> Geuta

Same thing with 'ich'. Say 'ick' but then at the last second change the 'k' for 'hhhh.'
ick --> ich
>>
>>7383323
How you really pronounce it:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0UCApgLHyTD
>>
>>7383319
I'd say "guh-tuh". The r looks too harsh.
>>
>tfw my professor pronounces de Broglie "de Broag-lee"
>tfw I do physics
>>
Better than my English professor, who pronounces Wordsworth "Words-wath" (rhyming with swords-math).
>>
>>7383335
It's a slumped kind of r. You kind of mumble it, as if you were slurring the word "urn", but that's how I've always said it, and nobody's corrected me yet. Guh-tuh is too muffled. If you said it like that it would sound like your whole mouth was swelled up.
>>
>once had a high school teacher who pronounced 'Foucault' as 'Foo-co'
Was good for a laugh
>>
>>7383343
I found that about half say it right and half say "de broag-lee".
even worse, I've heard mathematicians pronounce Galois "Gal-oise".
>>
> tfw American professor pronounces Obama as "Obongo"
>>
>>7383362
haha that's fucking epic!
>>
>>7383362
Top bait mate
>>
>>7383372
>>7383379
>tfw you make a joke and angry newfags trying to fit in backmouth you like you're a chump
>>
>>7383395
What was the joke? That was a true story.
>>
>>7383395
what joke?

it's hilarious when people pronounce foucault that way
>>
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/De-Johann_Wolfgang_von_Goethe.ogg
</thread>
>>
>>7383130
>"Go-eth"

Oof. You know how the letter ř is pronounced in Czech (in Dvořák, for example)? Like a combination of a rolled 'r' and the zh sound in pleasure, measure, and so on? How it gets separated out by many English speakers into two vocables given over to separate syllables even, a (unrolled) r followed by zh, as in DVOR-zhak?

Or how the pronunciation of Quixote becomes an object of such contention? How some native speakers, owing to the influence of geography on dialect and larger questions of affiliation and identity, maintain a kh sound for the x (in unconscious fraternity with the Greeks, lifting high and suffering under mistreatment of, the precious chi [rightly liberated from the tongue as khee yet calumniated by fin-de-siecle adolescents of the so-called Greek system as kai {itself a hidden and membrane-thin yet genuine testimony to proper Greek as the expression of the crucial conjunction 'and' <and also reflecting the grotesquerie of multiplication, as with mirrors and copulation, that occurs upon spontaneous generation of a deformed hrön, standing alongside the original in mocking apery>}]), while others in farflung Anatolia vocalize the letter with the gaucho's beguiling sh that pulls the following o forward in the mouth (in contrast to the reticent kh that so stingily begrudges the subsequent o scarcely to escape the throat), almost offering the vowel as a ripe red forbidden fruit to be palpated and enveloped in direct and sensuous exchange to the tongue of daughters promised to other, more favorable unions? (It seems scarcely necessary to mention the fateful confluence of the Comtesse Vicuña of Patagonia, the louche brigand del Torre, and the jilted scion Duchamp in late Autumn 1947 and del Torre's dynasty-denying and sirenic employment of this very pronunciation.) Or how in Britain the proper rendering of the Cervantes semeion doesn't pass the hurdle of avoiding rendition of Qu as Kw, engendering the bastard QUICK-sote?

Well, none of that has any bearing on the pronunciation of Goethe, but clearly >>7383207 knows what's going on.
>>
>>7383181

ayy lmao
>>
>>7383130
Be fair to your English professor. If he only read about him in books, nothing would have told him otherwise.

Even though I went through years of French classes and was always very good at French pronunciation, I got called out the other day for mispronouncing Ca-moo as "Caymus". I felt like an idiot because I knew that, given everything I know about French pronunciation, of course it was pronounced that way. But by never thinking about it, and only reading about him and never actually talking to people about him, I never noticed I was making a mistake.

Maybe your professor is the same way?
>>
>>7383462
>mispronouncing Ca-moo as "Caymus"
But it is pronounced 'Caymus'
>>
>>7383447
It's Key-hoe-tay though.
>>
>>7383474
kee -hkkOE-té
>>
>>7383150
kek
>>
>>7383474

You also pronounce vanilla as vuh-NILL-uh no doubt. I don't take your vuh-NILL-uh, or I would spit it out. You will taste my vah-NEE-ah. Taste it! Take it in your mouth! It congeals. Swirl it! It seeps between your teeth. Swallow it! It consumes you. It kills and rebirths you.
>>
File: Chakotay2379.jpg (21 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
Chakotay2379.jpg
21 KB, 355x355
>>7383474
>Chey-hoe-tay
I thought this was /lit/, not /tv/
>>
I had a professor who was supposedly a renowned Byron expert, and he pronounced Don Juan 'Don Jew-anne.'
To this day, I'm honestly unsure as to whether or not he was just trolling the entire class, as nobody had the balls to correct him, and just rolled with it. If he was, he kept a remarkably straight face.
>>
>>7383465
les ricains peuvent pas passer les u
>>
>>7383532
>jew-anne
>>
>>7383445
Don't Ws have a V sound in German? Or is that only for Ws in the middle of words?

>>7383532
The English, playing into their ambivalence towards pronunciation, actually make it legitimate to pronounce Juan like "Jew-onn". Byron himself rhymes things with Juan in the poem intending the reader at times to pronounce it like hhuan and other times as Jew-onn, being playful whilst making fun of the English.
>>
>>7383465
It's pronounced göte.
>>
>>7383207
This is the correct pronunciation. Phonetically, Goat-uh.
>>
ɡoːtə, idiots
>>
>>7383560
Uh, no.
>>
>>7383157
I had a prof from Germany who said Kant 'Cunt', is that actually how it's pronounced or is she just a master troll
>>
>>7383591
>Kant
In England, this has the same pronunciation as the American 'can't' (i.e., rhymes with 'ant', not 'aunt'), while 'can't' takes the other vowel sound. This is reversed in America. So when a Briton says 'Kant can't,' it sounds like how an American says 'can't Kant' and vice versa.
>>
>>7383591
Yeah, it's pronounced cunt with a slight english accent, so, caant.
>>
File: 1443853996352.jpg (60 KB, 620x460) Image search: [Google]
1443853996352.jpg
60 KB, 620x460
>>7383130
I just did Goethe and Kant, Nietzsche as extra.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0RPt7foSKbg
>>
>>7383157
>Hegel
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0vvajDWW8y8
>>
File: 1445468013214.jpg (45 KB, 716x717) Image search: [Google]
1445468013214.jpg
45 KB, 716x717
>>7383514
>not bah-NEE-ah
>>
File: asp.png (159 KB, 560x356) Image search: [Google]
asp.png
159 KB, 560x356
>>7383514
Oh my god, are parodying something, because this is amazing!
>>
>>7383130
Soundz better than Girder to be honest familiar (desu senpai)
>>
>PREWST
>SOUNDS BETTER AS PROWST
>>
It's pronounced GOAT.
>goethewearingsunglasses.jpg
>>
File: Disneygoofy2012.jpg (16 KB, 447x533) Image search: [Google]
Disneygoofy2012.jpg
16 KB, 447x533
>>
it's Gow tae in english

>using foreign accents when you don't speak tbat language
>>
>>7383641
she had definitely lost her German accent at this point, but it came out like a mash of cunt and kint
>>
>>7383628
this is a pretty funny observation
>>
>>7383796
german has a lot dialects. Some of them are so bad. I'm impressed that I can even understand most of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctSE_tOuAPs
>>
>>7383721

The plosion of the Catalan v-as-b will not withstand the homogenization of the Roman daughters' speech, the smoothing that files down the coarseness of language in its slow purification, on the sandy cow-tongue of the millennia. Unalterable, inevitable as the heat death of the universe, a fate cathartic in its intensity and terror as well as its ultimate purity and bliss, embrace the spiraling evolution of the speech of Cervantes on its course to the airy maturity of Hellas' β-as-v reward, Voorhees reaching out a hand of welcome to Borges, the salvation of Sabato, dancing a long baile recomposed by Βαγγέλης (Vangelis).
>>
>>7383799

England seems to disdain the pronunciation of other language as a matter of principle. It won't do French pronunciation despite being just a splash away from France. Also the rejection of Spanish pronunciation (like Quixote as KWICK-sote there, as mentioned somewhere on the board right now). In that way it's like Europe's version of Texas, where the locals will order a kwess-a DILL-uh even though Mexico and its correct pronunciation of quesadilla are right there across the river.
>>
File: blue-mark.jpg (60 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
blue-mark.jpg
60 KB, 640x480
>tfw professor pronounces data "data"
>>
>>7383875
well, that's what they're famous for- there's even a joke:
If you speak 3 languages you're multilingual
If you speak 2 languages you're bilingual
and if you only speak one language you're British.
>>
>>7383887
I dont get it
>>
>>7383887

It's also a running joke in, of all places, the movie Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
>>
>>7383906
>I don't get it
I believe you're British
>>
>>7383130

I once had a class with a prof--an English prof, no less, like yours OP--who pronounced 'to' as 'two,' 'two' as 'too,' and 'too' as 'to.' It was maddening.
>>
>>7383910
??
No
I speak two languages but I'm not "Bilingual", I'm Kazakh.
>>
>>7383922
>I'm Kazakh
Cәлeмeтciз бe? Қaлыңыз қaлaй? (That's all I know.) I had occasion to visit Almaty some years ago. It was utterly beautiful there and up around Medeo, and the people were wonderful. The joke the person was making is that you expect the person to say 'monolingual' (only speaking one language) but instead they say 'British' (I've always heard it as 'American,' which sadly rings true too). This makes an unexpected generalization. I know I've killed the joke by trying to explain it, but I'm just thrilled to encounter a Kazakh online. Do you have some particular Kazakh lit recommendations (other than Abai)? Paхмeт!
>>
>>7383875
Sorry but I must take issue with the asserstion that we say "KWICK-sote" here, only absolute plebs do that. The anglicised pronunciation I hear around patricians is "Kee-oaty" or "Kee-hoaty" (still not perf but meh). KWICK-sote will get you made fun of in pretty much any circle where they'd know what you were referring to
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s03xbXPio7BA

Am I close???

Burgerfat btw
>>
>>7383532
Well, that's how Byron himself pronounced it...
>>
>>7383130
ITT: Americans trying to use their shit language to discover how to pronouce something.

Your written language doesn't have a univocal relationship with how it is spoken. Every word, every combination of letters is surprise. It is like your language is not even phonetic.

Use vocaroo, phonetic symbol or something.
>>
Always pronounced it Yuh-teh.
>>
>>7385553
>Your written language doesn't have a univocal relationship with how it is spoken
I don't think there is any language in popular use today wherein the written form has a completely consistent relationship with the spoken form
>>
>>7383447
But Dvořák is pronounced Dee-vo-Rak.
>>
>>7385385

I'm relieved to hear that it's not common, but I have heard it, and on the radio even.
>>
>>7385644

Not correctly it isn't.
>>
>>7385647
Uh, yes it is. It's how it's pronounced in America.
>>
I had one, in college, who kept pronouncing Camus' name "Camee" for some reason, even though that's not even an understandable mistake: if you read it like a word in our language it's closer to the real pronounciation than Camee is.

My theory is that he might think Camus is german/austrian and he knows how to pronounce Freud.
>>
>>7383157
>russian write Hegel as Gegel

Strangers things are reality.
>>
>>7385640
Slav languages?
>>
>>7383550
No, 'w' always sounds like 'v', and 'v' always sounds like 'f'
>>
>>7385644
D'vohr-Shack
>>
>>7385640
Almost all slavic languages, brah
>>
>>7385644
Everytime I see this name, I think about the scene in Die Hard 4.
And I see this name a lot. Especially for someone who lives nowhere near Czechian.
>>
It's nearly identical to Quothe :^)
>>
>>7383150
lel
>>
>>7383130

>tfw americans can't pronounce a proper O, always making it either an ow or an oh
>Show-pen-how-or

Minnesotans come closest. They're still kilometres off.
>>
>>7383240

American's cannot into ö sound. Gerta is probably the closest they'll ever come.
>>
http://forvo.com/word/goethe/#de

Plebs.
>>
>>7383532
You have to pronounce it that way for the rhymes to work.
>>
>tfw my Religious Studies professor pronounces קהלת "kwo-hell-eth"
>kwo
>kw
>eth
>th
>>
>Had a professor Call Albert Camus "Alber Camoo" in my freshman literature course last year
Became somewhat of a meme in my class, we would all just drop the last netter off authors names and say them to each other when he wasnt around and make fun of him
>>
>>7383921
back to reddit fag
>>
>>7387555
uh
>>
How do you pronounce Pynchon?
>>
>tfw my Transylvanian professor pronounces Frankenstein as "Fronkensteen"
>>
>>7387641
Pin-shun.
>>
File: cp.jpg (78 KB, 669x849) Image search: [Google]
cp.jpg
78 KB, 669x849
>mfw this thread
>>
>>7387641
Pine-cone
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 640x400
>>7383886
>>
>>7383140
I always thought it was closer to "Gootah"
>>
>>7387641
Pintchown
>>
>>7387555
I've lost the ability to tell jokes from truths
>>
>>7383130
Its pronounced "Goatse"
>>
>>7387641
Phyn-chawn, according to Lisa Simpson
>>7387555
um
>>
>>7385664
Kek level: top
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.